A place where the topic is related to content creation.

Hand Axe & Bilhook

Hand Axe & Bilhook

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 07 Feb 2013, 14:24

Just finished these

iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Re: Hand Axe & Bilhook

Postby StarFire » 07 Feb 2013, 14:49

very nice models :)

How many polly's?
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby ucm » 08 Feb 2013, 06:36

Niice :D
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 08 Feb 2013, 12:49

Cant remember exactly but think there under 500 each.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Feb 2013, 13:25

Quite decent for up close use.

What about lower poly ones to dot around places as ornaments. Just leave them on tables, or alternatively have lods for them.

The lods would be good as a LOD action is currently under development to attach to your scene entities with distance settings for each LOD. :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 08 Feb 2013, 15:45

LODs is the way to go with everyting really.
Glad to hear we can set each lod with its own distance.
Cry3 did it auto distance and you had to have a 50% reduction for each one.
This makes it really hard to have a nice un-noticable transition.

LODs - will these be auto or manually created. Will they be seperate meshs.

Axe/Bilhook I would think 1 lod followed by disapearing would be fine, lets face it they wont show after 25m anyway.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Feb 2013, 18:28

LODs - will these be auto or manually created.

Currently only support for manual lods is available, but automatic generation is also possible, just will take a little more time :D

Will they be seperate meshs.

yes, but when you choose the lod mesh to use, it is added to the original mesh model inside skyline for performance. Each lod can have its own material just like the high lod version. There are plans on creating a few Lod materials that strip out normals or specular etc...

Axe/Bilhook I would think 1 lod followed by disapearing would be fine, lets face it they wont show after 25m anyway.

Yes i agree, but at least up close there can be high quality.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 08 Feb 2013, 18:35

Manual LOD is great. You can get really funky buildings when using an auto lod, LOLOL.

Good idea on the normals and spec. Maybe look at having that an auto thing for lods.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Feb 2013, 20:57

Good idea on the normals and spec. Maybe look at having that an auto thing for lods.

The current idea is to have a button property called edit material in the action properties(where you add your lod mesh). When pressed that meshs material file will open in the material editor for editing without working on a specific scene entity, this is too avoid having to load your lod mesh into the scene followed by editing its material which is a slow process.

:D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ucm » 10 Feb 2013, 00:19

SolarPortal wrote:Quite decent for up close use.

What about lower poly ones to dot around places as ornaments. Just leave them on tables, or alternatively have lods for them.

The lods would be good as a LOD action is currently under development to attach to your scene entities with distance settings for each LOD. :D

Oh Awesome! If you guys could get the LOD to be super fast then it would mean a Lot! for my game design :D

Edit: I personally would like to see somewhere down the Alpha-pipeline a script-customizable LOD way to specify when to turn on/off advanced engine feature for the LOD that would automatically occur at the appropriate camera distance.

^-- like LOD100; we can decide if we want to enable/disable normal-maping for this object

^-- like LOD300; we can decide if we want to enable/disable playing animation for this object

^-- like LOD750; we can decide if we want to enable/disable running onUpdates for this object

And other things like when to have the object's physics set to use "mesh-shape" and then at say LOD500 have the object's phyics use a "cube, sphere, or capsule" shape.

Also specify at say LOD750 i could also have it just become 'immovable' with a cube box physics for it's objectBounds

Just for example :D

I really think this would make Skyline 'the-most' advanced engine of all time because of the fantastic ways we could get physics/appearance/ect to work based on our project's needs AND the capabilities of our video cards ;)

Edit #2: Perhaps in a colection for every object:

object.useLOD = true/false

Then if true then the engine will configure/consider/use/regularly-re-check the values stored in the collection:

object.LOD.disableNormalMap = 0.0; <- 0.0 means never disable and set to a float of the distance to disable the normal map processing for this object

object.LOD.disableTextures = 0.0; <- 0.0 means never disable and set to a float of the distance to disable the texturemap rendering and go for a shaded rendering for this object

object.LOD.disableUpdates = 0.0; <- 0.0 means never disable and set to a float of the distance to disable the onUpdate processing for this object

object.LOD.disablePhysics = 0.0; <- 0.0 means never disable and set to a float of the distance to disable the physics processing for this object ( Note: I think this is where the physics should be set to just be disabled altogether )

object.LOD.minimalPhysics = 0.0; <- 0.0 means never disable and set to a float of the distance to use the most minimal physics processing for this object ( Note: I think this is where the physics should be set to just be a cube and the object be set to immovable )

Just somethoughts O : - )

p.s. and then if the object.useLOD is set to true then ( and only then ) the engine will consider the subgroups of the object and only use the subgroup named "LOD###" when the engine detects that the camera has moved passed that distance ( note this LOD### i strongly recommend requireing users to use whole number un-signed integer values )
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Feb 2013, 11:39

@ucm: i like the idea of having a script controllable lod system that can allow you to set and stop certain things at certain distances, ill look at implementing some lod script controls.

To get performance out of a game, these things have to be done and will make the engine more pro friendly :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 10 Feb 2013, 12:49

Just keep the script non-pro friendly as well, LOL...
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Feb 2013, 20:50

lol of course :P
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder