Help with your scripting

Does anyone know any good lua books?

Does anyone know any good lua books?

Postby TheSack » 13 Nov 2016, 04:37

I'm new here and im not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but it would have been really nice to have some good books to learn lua, does anyone have any good recommendations?
Maybe one that cover the language and one with lots of exercises.

I would also want to know how to use opengl instead of DirectX apparantly it's a renderer plugin i need.
TheSack
Skyline Novice

_

Postby kohelo » 13 Nov 2016, 05:52

_
Last edited by kohelo on 10 May 2018, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
kohelo
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Skill: Programmer

Re: Does anyone know any good lua books?

Postby Shando » 13 Nov 2016, 14:27

Hey buddy,

There's heaps of Lua Tuts on the net (http://luatut.com/crash_course.html for example), there is also the excellent "Programming in Lua" book (first edition) that's available for free here: https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html.

These will teach you the basics of Lua, but you will also need to study the Skyline Docs (especially the API section http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/API/Lua/html/index.html) to learn the Skyline specific Lua commands.

Finally, if you can't work something out from the tuts/API, just post on the forums and I'll try to help as much as I can.

Regards

Shando
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Postby SolarPortal » 13 Nov 2016, 17:36

Hi and Welcome to the forums TheSack :) We hope you enjoy the engine and are able to get up to speed quickly :)

Gen1 skyline which is the current version released on publicly is best ran on DX9. OpenGl used to work earlier on, but then broke so we decided to work with DX9 only. There arent many thing different but stability is better in DX9.

As for lua, the sources Shando posted look good. I personally dont know of any because we already had a background in c++, so jumping to lua was quite quick and easy. The thing to get around first is the syntax; but after that most of the api is custom and directly calls into the Skyline Core for the fastest lua scripting possible.

You can find a list of the API as Shando posted and these are not apart of the normal lua language, however saying that, many of the lua libraries and commands are still usable.

Enjoy! :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby TheSack » 14 Nov 2016, 03:07

Yeah I hope I atleast get something basic up and running quite quickly.
I think I go through the online Lua book before I dive into the engine specific stuff.

Hopefully I will have good Learning experience with this engine, the editor looks good and the community seem nice, already gave some useful information on where to start.

It shall be very interesting to see how this engine and community evolves.
TheSack
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 14 Nov 2016, 12:11

Thank you and yes, this community is very supportive and friendly and makes working on skyline fun most days :)

Enjoy and if you have any problems, then we are all here to help :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Return to Lua Scripting