Help with your scripting

Get Object to Match Camera Movement

Get Object to Match Camera Movement

Postby Shando » 08 Oct 2017, 13:37

Hi All,

I've finally managed to implement my bounds checking for the camera ( including Yaw restrictions :) ).

Now, all I need to be able to do is get the Plane to match the Camera's movements (including rotation!).

I think it would be something along these lines:
Object Position = Camera Position
Object Rotation = Camera Rotation
Object Translate ( i.e. move away from Camera )
Object LookAt Camera

I can easily get the Camera's Position.

There doesn't appear to be a function to get the Camera's Rotation (though I do have this in my bounds checking code, so that's not too much of a problem)

The problem I have is working out the Translation away from the Camera. I assume it's something to do with the Forward Vector and just moving along that? e.g. if the Forward Vector of the Camera is 0.5, 0, -0.5 then I can just multiply this by an amount to get the required Translation step?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shando

edit: actually, thinking about it, I probably don't need the Rotation step, as that would be handled by the LookAt step anyway??
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Get Object to Match Camera Movement

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Oct 2017, 14:09

couldnt you just attach the plane to the camera if you need the plane to face the camera all the time.. use the "Entity- Attach" action on the camera and use the tag name of the plane, rotate it and job done :)

The problem I have is working out the Translation away from the Camera. I assume it's something to do with the Forward Vector and just moving along that? e.g. if the Forward Vector of the Camera is 0.5, 0, -0.5 then I can just multiply this by an amount to get the required Translation step?

Yeah, to get a forward vector its quite simple...

First get the direction... normalise the result so it is always in the -1 to -1 range.
Then multiply that direction value by a number e.g. 10 for 10 units away on that direction..
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 09 Oct 2017, 13:12

On a side node , if object parenting was available, you would only need to drag and drop the plane as sub object of camera in the scene list hierarchy.
(most missing feature :lol: )
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: Scripter

Postby TattieBoJangle » 09 Oct 2017, 13:28

On a side node , if object parenting was available, you would only need to drag and drop the plane as sub object of camera in the scene list hierarchy.
(most missing feature )

In no way would this solve the problem :lol:
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Great creative

Return to Lua Scripting