Help with your scripting

Lua 5.1 Table Commands

Lua 5.1 Table Commands

Postby Shando » 21 Mar 2013, 01:42

Hi again,

Following on from my String post, I can also confirm that all Lua Table commands also work :P

Below is a listing of Table commands:

table.concat (table [, sep [, i [, j]]])

Given an array where all elements are strings or numbers, returns table[i]..sep..table[i+1] ••• sep..table[j]. The default value for sep is the empty string, the default for i is 1, and the default for j is the length of the table. If i is greater than j, returns the empty string.

table.insert (table, [pos,] value)

Inserts element value at position pos in table, shifting up other elements to open space, if necessary. The default value for pos is n+1, where n is the length of the table (see §2.5.5), so that a call table.insert(t,x) inserts x at the end of table t.

table.maxn (table)

Returns the largest positive numerical index of the given table, or zero if the table has no positive numerical indices. (To do its job this function does a linear traversal of the whole table.)

table.remove (table [, pos])

Removes from table the element at position pos, shifting down other elements to close the space, if necessary. Returns the value of the removed element. The default value for pos is n, where n is the length of the table, so that a call table.remove(t) removes the last element of table t.

table.sort (table [, comp])

Sorts table elements in a given order, in-place, from table[1] to table[n], where n is the length of the table. If comp is given, then it must be a function that receives two table elements, and returns true when the first is less than the second (so that not comp(a[i+1],a[i]) will be true after the sort). If comp is not given, then the standard Lua operator < is used instead.

The sort algorithm is not stable; that is, elements considered equal by the given order may have their relative positions changed by the sort.

Also, don't forget you can use either:

Code: Select all
# ( tTemp )

or
table.getn ( tTemp )

to extract the length of a Table. Please note that "table.getn" has been deprecated in Lua 5.1, but "#" does have it's own problems (see Lua website for more details).

Regards

Shando

Edit: For sorting your Tables, you can also find Lua code on the internet, such as this from
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Sorting_algorithms/Bubble_sort#Lua :

function bubbleSort(A)
  local itemCount=#A
  local hasChanged
  repeat
    hasChanged = false
    itemCount=itemCount - 1
    for i = 1, itemCount do
      if A[i] > A[i + 1] then
        A[i], A[i + 1] = A[i + 1], A[i]
        hasChanged = true