As the venture in the realm of Shaders and materials you may encounter the odd obstacle. Please post your shader issue for the community to help.

Basic Geometry Material

Basic Geometry Material

Postby epsilonion » 30 Sep 2015, 17:42

I would have thought that every time you place a say cube on the level for it to have its own material, as it is when you change the textures you also have to manually change each cubes material.

The video below shows a collection of cubes making a corridor and a room, changing any ones texture changes it for every wall, floor, roof...

A more common approach would be Cube_1, Cube_2, Cube_3 etc and each new cube in the scene gets its own material, such as Cube01_material, Cube02_material, Cube03_material, etc..

epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: Basic Geometry Material

Postby StarFire » 30 Sep 2015, 18:01

Hey Liam, level design,materials and texturing requires a little preparation. From what I can see, you are wanting what we will be making in the future, a level designer where you can drag in components and chop and change materials.
For now I recommend you create a few presets for each of the levels walls doors etc. (Note these presets can be multi objects) Think about making your level from modular bits and set up walls and corridor sections etc. Mess around until you have a few construction presets then start to build up a level. We have constructed some cool sections from simple modular components.
Hint: Try not to stretch any object as this will make the material look stretched, unless this is what you want ;)

Another way of working would be to use the preset construction objects, or any basic geometry and just drag onto them the textures you want to try and Skyline will automatically make the material for you. :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Basic Geometry Material

Postby epsilonion » 30 Sep 2015, 18:05

Thank you I think I will just drag the textures on for now, the objects like walls etc can be placeholders :)
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Return to Shaders n Materials