As the venture in the realm of Shaders and materials you may encounter the odd obstacle. Please post your shader issue for the community to help.

Materials Again :(

Materials Again :(

Postby Shando » 06 Sep 2013, 03:06

Hi All,

I've finally managed to find some time to get back into Skyline :)

Two things.......

1) When I try to load *any* model (other than .mesh files that I've created myself and put into the Skyline folders) Skyline crashes back to the desktop. I've tried .x, .3ds and .obj with no success. :(

2) Once again, I'm struggling with Materials....... :oops: I have linked to some images that show the model in Carrara 6 and in Skyline. Unfortunately, when I try to open the Material Editor, Skyline crashes back to the desktop, so I'm guessing there's something wrong with my models?? (BTW these models have been purchased from Turbosquid, and converted using their conversion process to obj, as the other formats I tried - dae, 3ds etc. - weren't as good!):

biosphere_carrara - http://sdrv.ms/14vDGOO
biosphere_skyline - http://sdrv.ms/14vDM98
powerplant_carrara - http://sdrv.ms/163q7cV
powerplant_skyline - http://sdrv.ms/14vDXkU

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Shando

PS: Any news on the next release :twisted:
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Materials Again :(

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Sep 2013, 10:13

great to hear from you :D

well, timing couldn't be better. We have a code freeze coming up in a couple of days, followed by a week of sorting any scenes and assets out ready for the release next weekend.

Skyline has had many changes and fixes, especially to the models and materials side, but the change list, is the biggest update of all updates lol.

Q> Have you copied all required assets into the Asset Library or your Project folder. e.g. textures, models, materials.
Q> Is anything displayed in the DOS console last as it is crashing.
Q> If nothing shows in the DOS, can you check the "skyline.log" or the "asslogger.log", to check whether there is a fault at the bottom, or upload them to us. :P You can find them in the Release folder.

From the looks of the model, the materials which are failing have no texture, which would crash in the older versions of skyline, but hopefully not in the new version.
its hard to tell, as alot has changed for this new release, which might fix your problem or it still might crash.
If you can pass the model to us for testing purposes, then that would help a lot. If you don't want to post it on the forums, pass me the download link in PM.
But don't worry if your not wanting to pass the model as it is a purchased asset, we can work together to figure it out with the new release when thats ready. :D

On another note, the FPS has had a major overhaul which makes it easy to use.
There are now turrets shooting, exploding barrels, better particle effects, Muzzle flashes, bullet trails, health systems, damage systems, score systems and alot of the coding is done in lua for end user customization and additions.
All the bits and bobs come in a single preset library called "FPS Starter Kit", and is as simple as drag and drop to make an FPS game.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby macklebee » 06 Sep 2013, 21:56

sounds like some exciting stuff coming... look forward to seeing this release! :)
macklebee
Skyline Novice

Postby Shando » 07 Sep 2013, 04:48

Wow, looks like you guys have been hard at work 8-)

With regards to the models, I'll give it another go (if I can get my son off the computer :roll: Hopefully I'll be getting a new laptop between now and Christmas, so this won't be a problem for much longer) and let you know. I've a feeling it's something as simple as not having copied the assets to the right project (it was late at night and I have a couple of copies of my main project) :oops:

I had checked the logs at the time and couldn't see anything, other than the Ogre errors which I'm sure were there before.

Can't wait to test out the FPS system. It's coming just in time for my two weeks off work for school holidays :D (subject to the boy letting me use the computer of course :!: )

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter

Postby StarFire » 07 Sep 2013, 13:47

Heres a quick screen grab of the dev area with some FPS mayhem:

Coming Soon ...... ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative

Postby ant0N » 08 Sep 2013, 05:01

Hi NightHawk! Looks amazing!!! Can't wait to watch in action. :D :D
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby pgadesertrat » 09 Sep 2013, 19:23

Thanks for the info update. Really looking forward to the release this upcoming weekend. We've been holding off for a while now and doing more tinkering than anything. Hoping this release provides a more stable base to work with.

BTW - FPS Starter Kit looks very cool! Any chance this will come with networking support too? Would be fun to drop in custom character/weapon models and have a go at some old school death match online with our team members. I'm sure our programmer would love to blast many holes in all of us, LOL:).

Rat
pgadesertrat
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 10 Sep 2013, 09:36

Yeah we have put in many hours on fixing some major issues, so Skyline should be a lot more stable now, fingers crossed lol

As for networking on with the FPS Kit; once we get the third person AI and controller fixed then we can look at implementing the networking for death match style fun hehe ;) hope it wont take too long .......... :ugeek:
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby pgadesertrat » 13 Sep 2013, 22:24

So......any chance the new version will be available soon? I have a full weekend free which is rare and chomping at the bit to dig into the new update ;) .
pgadesertrat
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 14 Sep 2013, 12:35

We are aiming for a release on Monday as there are still a couple of issues that we need to resolve today ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Shaders n Materials