As the venture in the realm of Shaders and materials you may encounter the odd obstacle. Please post your shader issue for the community to help.

Quixel Suite Profile Model?

Quixel Suite Profile Model?

Postby Pirate Myke » 07 Feb 2015, 16:42

Hello, I am sure by now that every one is familiar with Quixel Suites. It is a texture paint program used by a lot of studios and game companies.

With that in mind, they have profile calibrations for different renderers and game engines.
Cry Engine
Dota2
PBR BI-PH-Specular
PBR GGX-Specular
SkyShop
Tool Bag
UDK
UE4
UE3
Unity
Unity 5
Uncalibrated

They also will make a profile setting for other game engines if they request it.

My question is which profile closely match which renderer is being used in this engine?

Thanks in advance.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Animator
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Quixel Suite Profile Model?

Postby StarFire » 07 Feb 2015, 17:17

We have been in touch with the company to see if they can shed an light on your request as we have not used these products and unsure about these profiles you mention.

As for Skyline she can devour most methods of texture/normal/specular as the material editor generally can balance out the final asset.

Eg. if the normal look to heavy, turn the amount down. If the normals look inverted, check the flip normal button. We also have plans to add code that will generate new normal maps directly inside the material editor.

If you could kindly provide and example of what you are trying to achieve then we will have a better understanding of your request. ;)

Look forward to hearing about this workflow :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby Pirate Myke » 07 Feb 2015, 18:19

Thanks for the reply.

It is not really a request, but more then an inquiry on the best way to produce the textures, for the best results in the engine. I always adjust them by eye after testing in an engine anyway. The PBR profile that I have been using for my past stuff is the PBR GGX-Specular profile, and the engine I have been dealing with, is just now starting to have better shader for the use of this technique.

The technique looks at material in terms of glossiness instead of specular. It generate the rest of the map in a normal manner, But I blend the gloss map which is the reflectivity, and the specular, which represents the light coming off the edges, to a happy medium to achieve the glossy look of metals with the not so glossy look of the dielectric materials into the same map.
Having the diffuse be more of just the color of the surface., the normal hold the patterns needed and can be added to for stuff that is not baked into the normal.

I will post some examples, but its is probably just getting used to how the render system looks under different lighting conditions.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 07 Feb 2015, 18:35

Hi Myke, I think you will find our uber shader very interesting, as once you understand how the system works you will get some very realistic renders. All of the physical effects can be replicated from shiny to metal with full GI.
GI comes in 2 flavours, hemispherical ambience or full "Image Based LIghting" with ambient normals . The IBL system is very powerful and has a great amount of artistic control, but due to this is not 100% novice friendly.

The IBL works from the render panel IBL image which can be change to any cubemap of your liking. Each material also has the ability to override the scene IBL so you can make the asset look great in any scene.( including the IBL image )

Hint: when you use the IBL, turn down the model materials IBL mix amount to help it blend out some of the GI color.

To get the best effect work in conjunction with the render panel settings and the post effects photo filters and color tone mapping. This way you can get some super real time renders, see our newest images in the gallery:

http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/Gallery/index.php?/category/34

Once i get a bit of spare time from the visual game mechanics editor I will make a few shader/material videos showing how to get some truly amazing art out of Skyline. ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 07 Feb 2015, 18:52

Thank you, I will look into this and do some tests.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 14:35

Here are some pictures of a patio kit I am working on.
Texture were done in Quixel Suites.

Here is the rest of the pictures in the album.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116817174687197432570/albums/6113464610454924753
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 08 Feb 2015, 14:43

Looking great, keep up the good work :D

If you need any help to get the desired result we are happy to help out :D

Also we have a gallery where you are free to upload images to: https://gallery.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/i ... category/2
just sign up and upload away ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 15:16

Thank you. I am not ready to post them like that.

Need to work on transparency, and getting rid of those light marker icons. Also the mouse curser on my dual monitor system wont go away and is inhibiting the rotation of the player to the mouse pointers screen location boundaries.

Back to the tutorials
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 08 Feb 2015, 15:29

The light marker icons will be removed when the game is run (job still to fix) what we do for now is scale the light object so the marker can not be seen.

If you are using the uber shader the transparency amount has to be move away from max and then re save the material. This will engage the transparency system. It is done this way so that when not being used that part of the shader will not use any performance. The same method is employed when using reflections.
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 15:54

Ok on the shader and transparency. Ok on the light markers.

Is this fixable yet?

Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 08 Feb 2015, 16:25

Ok does this do the same with the rejection transparency?

Not notice this issue before but we will look in to it for you. They may be a work around for now, just going to give it a try.
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 16:31

I can send you the mesh and textures if you would like Test. using uber shader with the alpha rejection on.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 16:35

Here is a drop box link to the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa4iv34pxll5u ... t.rar?dl=0
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Feb 2015, 16:36

StarFire is having troubles getting this page loaded lol. crap connection.
She says, yes can you send her the file please. :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 16:54

OK, Don't worry about it. It happens only when the light marker is not scaled down and can be seen. I scaled them all down but one of them, and the only one with the issue is the one with the lightmarker still visible.

I shall call this user error. : )

Edit: Ok maybe not. Opening up the scene again, the light markers are scaled down and I cant see the trees again thru the lamp glass. Must be something wrong I am doing.

Is there a way that I can control the draw order on this object so it renders last in the scene?
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Feb 2015, 17:16

hey, we have just tested this, it appears to be the vegetation system mesh materials at fault.
The trees in your scene must have been placed from the vegetation system, rather than dragged out as a model.

> We have tried with the actual tree mesh file(did not use the vegetation system), this did not have a problem.
> We then created a terrain and sprayed some tree meshes out, the error then appeared. The models seem to vanish behind the alpha.

We are looking for a quick fix for you :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 17:33

You are correct, it is the trees painted in the terrain section.
No need for a quick fix as this probably involves draw order.

Let me try a test with just the glass and not the rest of the lamp post and see how it acts. The other engine I work in, it is best to have the glass entity as a separate object and the issue does not happen there. Not great, but it works that way.

I will let you know how that turns out.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 08 Feb 2015, 18:00

There looks like a page geometry issue and the ubre fog pass in the material required a depth flag.

The PG issues may take a little time but for now the fog pass will make it look better although the objects may look like they are on top of the transpareny. This should nopt matter on a full transparent material such as the lamp top.

Here is a quick fix:

!NOTE!: any changes you manually make to the material script will get overridden if you press save from the material editor make. So fist get the lamp looking how you want it then make the manual changes.

1. Open the material which has the transparency. Easy way is to select the object and open the material editor. Then click the script icon to the bottom left of the material name, this will open the material script into Skylines script editor.

2. Scroll down the script and look for the first mention of "vertex_program_ref SkyLine_FogVP{}" this will be about line 295

you are going to add the line
Code: Select all
depth_write off

replace the following:
      pass
      {
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         vertex_program_ref SkyLine_FogVP{}
      }

with this:
      pass
      {
         depth_write off
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         vertex_program_ref SkyLine_FogVP{}
      }

3. Save the material script from the script editors menu save option.

4. select the transparent object again and open the material editor. Press the green recycle icon to the left of the open script icon. This will reload the edited material back into the scene.

Hopefully this will get you by until we release a fix in the next update ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Pirate Myke » 08 Feb 2015, 18:13

OK, I will give this a try. I made the glass separate object and just tried the transparency on that looking at the sprayed trees. The same, Can see the terrain and sky and all placed geometry, but not the trees. Did not try the bushes or the rocks, so don't know if its just trees or all sprayed meshed.

I will make changes to the new glass objects shader and test out the solution you posted.

There is no hurry, I just would like to have any models I am intending to place on the store, work with the least amount of hassle for the buyer. I don't mind placing known issue objects in a certain order to get them to work with custom anything. But I find that the majority of people tend to be lazy and felt put off, if they cant place and play.

This can always be put in the store at a later date when the fog layer part is more in place.

Again thank you.

The intended and look for this object is to be able to see thru the Dirty green glass and see the glowing element, also trying, but not hoping to get a realistic shadow on the ground by placing the light marker inside the glass square just above the mantle.

It is a high expectation, that will be a challenge to achieve.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 08 Feb 2015, 18:31

I think Skyline can meet your challenge. Just requires a few adjustments ;)

We agree that assets on the store need to be plug and play also look the best they can for the required style.

We will work with you thru this to help you achieve your artistic vision and get the best products for our store. :ugeek:

Thank you for working with us towards getting a solution :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 08 Feb 2015, 18:36

Nice patio kit Myke look forward to buying it as always :)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby Gtox » 08 Feb 2015, 21:01

StarFire wrote: Also we have a gallery where you are free to upload images to: https://gallery.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/i ... category/2
just sign up and upload away ;)

How do you upload to the gallery - for the life of me I can't figure it out :) I have registered, btw.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby TattieBoJangle » 08 Feb 2015, 21:02

If you click on explore then you will see upload photos at the bottom :)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby Gtox » 08 Feb 2015, 22:21

Got it, thanks!
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby Pirate Myke » 09 Feb 2015, 01:01

The fix for the shader does the trick for now. Thanks.
Pirate Myke
Skyline Padawan

Next

Return to Shaders n Materials