anything related to UI in general, splash screens, UI widgets, input and output etc.

New User: suggestions...

New User: suggestions...

Postby Ryder » 22 Feb 2016, 07:06

Hey, new as of today... loving SkyLine.

Was thinking... is there a need for the Splitters/mergers in SkyGraph? Seems to me, that if you allowed multiple connectors from outputs... to various other inputs... then a splitter is implied.

Same with mergers on the inputs.

I don't think we'd need those blocks, right? Just a thought.

Also... it seems to me that all sliders (slider controls) on the UI, should have numerical values that can be edited. You might check out the way MODO does slider controls... amazingly space saving, with "infinite" resolution... and numerical values.

They basically look like this (sorry for the ASCII art) 99.0 <|>

If you click on the number, you can edit the value. If you click and drag on the <|> then the control works as a slider, and the value changes... and the mouse, as it is not connected to a moving handle of any kind, can move left and right "infinitely" to change the value. It's kinda brilliant.

But minor things... really. SkyLines is just fantastic... the perfect engine for me.
"A scale model is never done. You just stop working on it."
Ryder
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Animator
Skill: Great creative

Re: New User: suggestions...

Postby SolarPortal » 22 Feb 2016, 13:16

Hi Ryder, Welcome to the Skyline Forums :D I am happy that you are enjoying the engine and we hope you can make all your dream projects in the engine :)

As for the module system, i think StarFire will be able to respond to you better about this as it is her current development task :P

Anyway, we did think about the multiple connectors at the start from one connector but found that it can look quite messy and harder to follow through the code. But also have splitters and mergers does use a bit extra space. One thing we were planning was to collapse the splitter and merger into a very small block that would sit on the end of the module essentially doing the same thing as you have mentioned but leaving it to be undocked(...so to speak...) to allow the flexibility.

All spin boxs can be controlled by the middle wheel on the mouse and this applies across the entire engines UI. I like the idea of the number when typed but click and drag to increase the value.

But minor things... really. SkyLines is just fantastic... the perfect engine for me.

Superb!, we are currently upgrading the renderer to DX11 and OpenGl3+ to get faster performance and better lighting and shadows which is going well so far :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Re: New User: suggestions...

Postby StarFire » 22 Feb 2016, 16:58

Hi and welcome to Skyline Ryder. Very happy to hear you are enjoying Skyline :D

As SP mentioned the current development is undergoing some major changes so that Skyline projects can match the visuals seen on the current crop of AAA games. This will fix many of the rendering issues that are currently in Skyline and on top of this we are looking at a huge performance boost that the version has shown up in tests.

Development at the current time is going flat out and wont be long before we are back on track with regular updates. ;)

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the modules and we did think about what you mentioned, but when working in a large graph, we have found it is cleaner to have one wire passing across to another section then have it branch, rather than lots of wires going everywhere. This way you can quickly get familiar to the workflow. The collapsing module is a good compromise as SP said.
As with a lot of Skyline the workflow can be different to other similar systems but we have found via repetition a faster method, then we try to make this part of the skyline workflow. :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to UI