anything related to UI in general, splash screens, UI widgets, input and output etc.

Microscopic Toolbar

Microscopic Toolbar

Postby Randal » 14 Jun 2016, 22:55

Forgive me, please, if I am in the wrong forum or if there is an answer elsewhere; I haven't found it yet. I just installed Skyline Free to test it out. I'm running on a Dell, Windows 10 laptop, brand new, i7, nVidia graphics with a 3840x2160 resolution. The top where it says (at least I think it does) "File Edit..." is microscopic. I don't mean tiny, I mean so small that I just had a gnat land on the monitor and it was bigger than the menu. I think the gnat could read it but it flew away before I could ask it any questions.

Anyway, I can hover the mouse over them and see the underlying menus fine. The icons in the toolbar are pretty small as well.

How do I change the settings?
Randal
Skyline Novice

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Audio
Skill: Great creative

Re: Microscopic Toolbar

Postby TattieBoJangle » 15 Jun 2016, 15:51

Hi Randal and welcome :D I also run that rez on my high end rig but I don't get any problems like yourself, obv you will know having 4k yourself :D you always end up having to use desktop scaling to make anything actually readable on such a high resolution, and desktop scaling simply doesn't work for everything. Keeping your desktop at a straight 1:1 ratio leaves everything from text to icons far too small.

I don't like to pass the problem off but its more a 4k problem if anything that requires tweaking on the users side here is a good article that covers a lot that you may or may not find useful hope this helps.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-4k-uhd-3840-x-2160-experience/

Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 15 Jun 2016, 18:47

The top where it says (at least I think it does) "File Edit..." is microscopic. I don't mean tiny, I mean so small that I just had a gnat land on the monitor and it was bigger than the menu. I think the gnat could read it but it flew away before I could ask it any questions.

Hey Randal...Welcome to SkyLine...I got a good laugh out of your gnat story... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...The Devs are moving into a new home right now and should be back soon...Hopefully they can figure out your problem...The free version is sometimes behind the full version, so this could be the problem...It's great to have you here, and thanks for the great laugh...CO
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby Randal » 16 Jun 2016, 02:20

Thanks OC and Tattie. I was told I should have written comedy but nooooo what did I do? I became a computer programmer and now I'm addicted. I program for work, I program for entertainment. I even program during dinner. I once tried to do that in the shower with a desktop computer. Shockingly, I won't try that again. Oh I didn't get hurt, I just knocked out a grid for a few hours. Can't program without electricity.

I'll expand the desktop to 300x and see what happens.
Randal
Skyline Novice

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 16 Jun 2016, 17:28

I once tried to do that in the shower with a desktop computer. Shockingly, I won't try that again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby Randal » 17 Jun 2016, 01:35

I expanded everything to 300x. The menu was still tiny. My desktop image on the other hand, wow. I've never seen melons so big before. I didn't realize the grocery store even sold those! The cucumbers next to them however made me feel inadequate so I shrunk it back down.

I tried resolution, changing the menu font from 9 to 16 and a few other things and this is the one program that doesn't respond to it. I'd like to fully test it before buying. So far it looks right for what I'm doing with another package that went defunct a few years ago. I'll have to learn LUA but that's okay. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it. ;)
Randal
Skyline Novice

Postby StarFire » 17 Jun 2016, 12:50

Hi and welcome to Skyline @Randal :D .
Loving your humor that should appease the Skyline goddess and bless the many quest you will embark upon ;)

We are still with out studio but as soon as it is up and running again we will look into the menu font size issue and see if it can be resolved our side, (unless you find a windows solution first.)

On the lua front we do have an alternative visual mechanics development system that uses modules and connections to get common game mechanics, but this is a very new system in Skyline and is currently being expanded, well it would be if we could get on our dev machines lol. :lol:

Any way we have a great friendly community who should be able to help you with any questions and we will be about if we can find any internet access. Currently having to use the local library :shock:

Hope you are enjoying your first Skyline experience :D
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 17 Jun 2016, 18:24

I'll have to learn LUA but that's okay. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it.

Lua is easy to use...The main part I had to get used to was IF statements...

Code: Select all
if(attacking==false and takingDamage==false) then   
      if(move ==  1)       then moveSpd =  moveSpeed;  end
      if(move == -1)       then moveSpd = -moveSpeed; end
      anim.playAnimation(obj, CURRENT_ANIM, 30, 1)
end

if() then end...semi-colon is optional...No curly brackets...-- for comments...it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby Randal » 17 Jun 2016, 23:00

That does look easy. I'll see if I can find the script editor and play around with it. Thanks OC for everything!

Randal
Randal
Skyline Novice

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 18 Jun 2016, 19:13

This section of the documentation is the best place to start...Use the drop downs on the left side of page and study the classes...

http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/API/Lua/html/index.html
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 20 Jun 2016, 13:43

Hello and welcome to the skyline community Randal :D

You can locate the script editor either from the main menu > Editors > Script editor or from the the main toolbar which looks like a white piece of scroll paper.

Other methods of opening the script editor are on attached scripts on scene entities where you can press the edit button on a microscript action or external script attachment.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to UI