Skylines Actions system and presets are the core to your projects dynamic objects. Many Actions can be used in interesting combinations for varying effects, but some times you need help to get the most out of them.

User configurable keys

User configurable keys

Postby howler » 17 Apr 2014, 12:15

I'm posting this to find out if this is possible before posting it as a feature request.

I've just imported the "FPS default" player controller to have a play with it and the movement keys are all hard coded into the "PC Key Input" section. Can you override those settings to allow the player to define their own keys via LUA (or some other method) or is the fact they're hard coded into the PC Key Input section mean that you're stuck with those settings if you use the FPS player controller? I don't need to change it right now, just wondering if there's a mechanism in the Skyline engine for allowing the player to easily redefine their keys.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it would be pretty simple code to handle a user defined key set for movement if your movement code was all in script.

Cheers!
howler
Skyline Ensen

Re: User configurable keys

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Apr 2014, 12:49

The "PC Key Input" sections are supposed to change the key inputs, but they dont seem to be working.
When looking in the action code, they are programmed to do so. will have to look lower :D

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it would be pretty simple code to handle a user defined key set for movement if your movement code was all in script.

Yes it would. If you wanted. You could program the entire FPS character in script without using actions. Then using the script base functions like onKeyDown / onKeyUp you could program any key you wanted.

If you look at the microscript attached to the FPS action, you can see the script using key "R" for reloading etc....
On the FPS Player properties, open the FPS Microscript header and click the triggered button to open the script editor.
The script you see there is an extension of the FPS action and not a real microscript.
Therefore it has its own functions that the action calls (e.g. fps_DamageEvent(), fps_PlayerDamage() etc...)
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Actions n Presets