The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

Animated mesh distortion [SOLVED]

Animated mesh distortion [SOLVED]

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 13:11

I imported an animated model into Skyline, and found that the model had some annoying mesh distortion. I deleted the root node (which was just a dummy helper at 0,0,0), and when I imported it into the mesh editor, the distortion had gone. However, having extracting the animations and scaled the mesh, it wouldn't save (I get an error - 'Cannot edit mesh data as the mesh file does not exist in the resources.').
I tried saving to a new mesh file, with the same result. I exited Skyline and restarted, and found that the both meshes (the original and the new one) had been saved, but now the animation is distorted again.
I've spent hours fighting with this, and I'm fresh out of ideas. The fact that the model animates correctly in the mesh editor before saving just muddies the waters even more, and any advice would be appreciated.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Re: Animated mesh distortion

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Sep 2015, 14:08

Hi Gtox,

Q) Have you tried saving the mesh before scaling, then scale and save again.
Q) If you are adding animations on, then make sure you add the animations to the character at the same scale otherwise the skeleton will stretch.
Q) Are you reloading the sceneEntity in the scene after saving to reflect the changes :)

(I get an error - 'Cannot edit mesh data as the mesh file does not exist in the resources.').

Have you added all the files to the resources especially after saving the mesh file if it contains a different name.

Note: If you are scaling animated characters, then the mesh editor is the best form of scaling as the assetmanager and the translation utility will break the skeletons at the moment until skyline is rebooted. :)

Have you seen Tattie's video: http://www.forum.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1107#p6160

If you record a video of your process, then we will be able to see exactly what you are doing and where it is going wrong. This will give us a better indication as the best method to proceed in fixing your problem.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 15:17

Thanks SolarPortal - I managed to get it to work by following your suggestions. Saving it before scaling it, and scaling it before extracting the animations did the trick. I still need to close Skyline and restart it a couple of times to get it to work - once after scaling it, and then after extracting the animations, as changes to the mesh are not reflected until after a restart - adding the files to resources didn't help. I'm also still getting the error message on saving, even though the file is apparently being saved.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Sep 2015, 15:33

thats good, it would be nice to smooth this workflow out a tad more ;) as it can be quite confusing at times.

We do have improvements made to the FBX and assimp converters for the next release though. The FBX converter has had changes to the animation converting as sometimes some frames were missing.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 16:04

It'll be nice to have the missing animation frames sorted out. Trying to get looping animations to work when everything is out of kilter by a few frames is painful (if you import all the animations in one fbx file like me).
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Sep 2015, 16:31

i can send you an updated "FBX converter.exe" if this will help :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 16:37

Sure, what does it do? Apart from converting fbx files, that is :)
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Sep 2015, 16:57

i take it the character you are using is from a .fbx file.

The latest changes in the FBX file will ensure that all keyframes exported will appear in the timeline.

Will pm you the file :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 17:57

That'd be great, thanks.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby Gtox » 01 Sep 2015, 18:05

Thank you, the animation frames are all present and correct.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Sep 2015, 18:33

no problem :) Glad it helped.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Re: Animated mesh distortion [SOLVED]

Postby Gtox » 03 Sep 2015, 14:00

I should mention that the reason I had to close down Skyline and restart to get the mesh to work was because I wasn't reloading the mesh - now that I know what I'm doing a bit better, and now that all the animation frames are imported, the workflow is a lot quicker.
Gtox
Skyline Padawan

Return to Mesh + Animation