The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

mesh doesn't import, what did i do wrong?

mesh doesn't import, what did i do wrong?

Postby ucm » 04 Feb 2013, 23:15

Sorry if i shouldknow this already but..

I used UU3Dpro to export a OGRE .mesh but when i try to import it to Skyline, it gives me an error:

File NOT FOUND :: ucm -- Skyline long file name version1.mesh

Please make sure the file you are trying to load exists in Resources and try again!

Two questions:

* Is it something that i'm doing wrong? ( does it not like dashes or spaces maybe? )

* Where to find the Resources tab in Skyline? or umm..

** Also; how do i upload an image to a post here?
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Re: mesh doesn't import, what did i do wrong?

Postby ucm » 05 Feb 2013, 00:03

I think the format being exported by UU3Dpro is:

.mesh.xml

Can you have Skyline import .mesh.xml for me? ( i've been working for a while on a surprise for you guys )

O : - )

EDIT: Also if possible importing of .FBX and of .MS3D are my top two regularly used formats ( wavefront .OBJ is apparently extremely useful for me in another modeling program as well )

My pipeline is:

Phase 1: Model SW -> import back-and-forth <- Animation SW

Phase 2: import model/animations -> UU3Dpro ( v3.42 as of this writing )

Phase 3: Export to the desired output format for the simulation SW such as another engine i have used for years and/or Skyline

For "Phase 3" I ususally use .FBX then import the .FBX into the other simulation SW. However for Skyline I went to the UU3Dpro site and downloaded the plugin for OGRE and then i use it to export and it pops out a "modelNameHere.mesh.xml"

but i can't get the .mesh.xml to import to Skyline :(
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 05 Feb 2013, 10:12

Can you have Skyline import .mesh.xml

This format requires converting using the OgreXMLConverter.exe found in the release folder of your Skyline SDK, if you drop the .mesh.xml onto this exe, it will convert it into a .mesh and .material file, then copy your mesh and material somewhere else in your resources.

* Where to find the Resources tab in Skyline? or umm..

With skyline, it automatically scans all folders and files within the asset library or your project folder for resources the engine can use. They are then accessible from within skyline either after pressing the refresh resources button or restarting the skyline application.

** Also; how do i upload an image to a post here?

@ucm: To upload images, they have to be added to an image hosting site or an ftp. Then use the Img tag in the forum posts and place the url of the image file between the square braces.

@iamcheeseontoast, how about we use your FTP for image uploads on the forum.

Also if possible importing of .FBX and of .MS3D are my top two regularly used formats ( wavefront .OBJ is apparently extremely useful for me in another modeling program as well )

Skyline has many format options to choose from when importing from a modelling package thanks to the assimp library that was integrated.
I think we already have the .obj/.MS3D importer which you can access when loading a model onto your scene entity. .dae is a good format to use and seems to work most of the time. Animations are still under development, but some people may have some luck lol.

As for .FBX, we will look into it and see if we can get this format to work :)
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby SolarPortal » 05 Feb 2013, 10:14

moving this topic to SKYLINE DEVELOPER KNOWLEDGE - mesh+animation forum as it isn't a bug or crash. :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ucm » 05 Feb 2013, 22:15

Thanks SolarPortal but here's what's happening:

I created a test capsule in UU3Dpro v3.42 then saved it as OGRE mesh and it created these files ( after about 30 seconds due to high poly )

ucm_capsule_test.bat

ucm_capsule_test.material

ucm_capsule_test_mesh.xml

Next I drag and dropped the ucm_capsule_test_mesh.xml file onto OgreXMLConverter.exe and it opened a cmd window and did a lot of stuff then it created a file ucm_capsule_test_mesh ( Note there's no extension there )

Then I went into Skyline and created a new scene then right clicked and tried to add the model but it couldn't find it unless i type in *.* then hit enter...

When i try to load that file, it crashes :(

I tried renaming it to ucm_capsule_test_mesh.mesh and restarted Skyline and this time i get the message:

File NOT FOUND :: ucm_capsule_test_mesh.mesh

Please make sure the file you are trying to load exists in Resources and try again!

hmmm..

Then I got the idea maybe it's because it has the _mesh in there so i renamed it to ucm_capsule_test.mesh but then i get the same error like this:

File NOT FOUND :: ucm_capsule_test.mesh

So next I tried various other formats through UU3Dpro's Save As:

* ( WaveFront .obj ) == Skyline crash

* ( MilkShape 3D .MS3D ) == Failed to save in UU3Dpro because of a UU3D error message ""The MS3D file format does not support more than 65534 triangles. triangles found: 98304 ""

^-- .MS3D is my preferred format for portability reasons so darn!! :cry:

* ( Blitz3D .B3D ) == ( Note i select export multiple meshes for veyr complex objects ) .B3D isn't listed as supported in Skyline at th emoment so i just did *.* and tried to open the .B3D anyway and Skyline crash

* ( FCollada files .dae ) == ( Target system == Default, Meter, Y-Axis and i checked Export groups as meshes ) == Skyline crash

* ( DirectX 9.0 files .x ) == ( Checked Triangulate model and checked Export groups as meshes ) == Skyline crash

* ( 3D Studio files .3ds ) == Failed to save in UU3Dpro because of a UU3D error message ""The 3DS file format does not support more than 65535 triangles. triangles found: 98304 ""

umm? :cry:
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Feb 2013, 10:39

It doesnt sound like skyline is the issue here lol

Most exporters from modelling packages wont allow you to export a single model(all vertices joined without any sub elements) with more than 65536 vertices as this is usually way too many for any game engine, the best way would be to try and split your model into multiple meshes inside the modelling application and then export as a single mesh.

Its all to do with 16bit index buffers that most game engines only support. More and more game engines are now beginning to support 32 bit index buffers which enables higher poly meshes for rendering(generally this is still unadvisable).

When placed inside a game engine, the vertice count is effectively trippled due to the mesh using another set of vertices for normals and another set for tangents.

Make sure you arent using any smoothing algorithms such as nurbs or meshsmooth as this is not game friendly or poly friendly.
You can have a high poly single mesh as long as it isnt 1 submesh of more than the 16bit limit.

The best way of modelling is: create a high poly model, generate a normal map of that high poly model and overlay that on a simpler low poly model that looks the same. Inside the game engine it will hardly be noticeable that it isn't high poly.

Here is a few references from other sites:

If you do a search on this issue, you will find that is is very common.
Hope this helps :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Mesh + Animation