The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

importing skeleton runtime error

Re: importing skeleton runtime error

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 18:23

ok I tried the drill icon and I did not get an error. but he is still a giant laying down. I suppose he may need to be re-scaled somewhere,with that terrain piece in the meadow template , it looks like hes standing on a door mat LOL.. I am hoping to get him in with all his animations and move him with keyboard mouse / controller(mapped to keyboard). can I import his anims or do I need to reanimate him in skyline? or is there some tutorials on this and other things , like the auto terrain painting , I can not figure out how to use this.or if I want change the characters appearance , does this need to be done in another software program and imported back in? thanks
Last edited by razzer on 24 Feb 2018, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 24 Feb 2018, 18:24

If you can make the file a zip and it will then upload ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 18:27

ok I got it to zip here is attachment.running to store , be back in a bit.
Attachments
skeleton fbx.zip
(709.35 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
razzer
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 18:35

Rescaling:

Rescaling is simple and fast to do..
  • Select the character in the scene.
  • Scale down to human size using the translation utility, gizmo or entity property. To find scale, you can either place the FPS marker in the scene or use the utility scale from the right click context menu from the scene view to represent the average human height. I think the utility scale is around 1.8m or 6ft.
  • Open the translation utility if not already opened and with the character selected, press the bake scale button.
  • Scale will reset to 1 and your character will now be the correct size and written back to the .mesh in the folder, so everytime you drag the mesh out (...not the fbx file...), the character will have the correct scale.

If materials do not apply, then you can easily rectify this too:
  • Select the entity in the scene
  • On the properties panel, click the third icon from the left which is situated on the top of the panel.
  • This opens up the sub mesh materials.
  • Now drag a material from the asset manager to one of the slots there, or resetting back to default may fix it for you.
  • You should see the material appear on the entity in the scene. Click the bake materials button to override the default materials stored within the mesh. Or you can leave the variant on the mesh and save to preset.

To make your character into a walking character, then follow this tutorial: https://learn.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/doku.php?id=tutorials:tutorials_character_a0

There is also a follow on tutorial which covers the basics of shooting, which you can then develop on further to make your character shoot: https://learn.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/doku.php?id=tutorials:tutorials_basic_shooting

Asz Starfire mentions, Upload a zip file as it will compress it and make it compatible to send. :)

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 24 Feb 2018, 19:11

Importing the fbx works fine.. there are 2 materials and the character is large as yuo say and is lying flat on its face lol.
This is because Skyline has Y Up whereas unreal has Z up.

You can fix the rotation in the mesh editor, by selecting in the scene, import into mesh editor and then use -90 on the rotation angle and -1,0,0 on the rotation axis for negative X axis. Then hit save in the mesh editor.
In the main view, select character and press the Refresh entity button that looks like an E on the main toolbar.
You should see the character with the correct rotation now.

To scale, do as in previous post. it seems around 0.01 is the scale variant. We use 1m = 1unit whereas unreal must be using 1unit = 1cm

as for adding animations, FBX animation files can be added using the mesh editor or imported onto the character at import time with a naming convention of:

or if the animation is all on one track, then you can split an animation in the mesh editor using a text file.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby razzer » 24 Feb 2018, 20:39

ok will try thanks