The place to post mesh,and animation related hints and problems.

mesh and lod

mesh and lod

Postby TattieBoJangle » 25 Mar 2015, 01:36

Im unsure about this but am i right in thinking after you make your lod model you no longer need the other files for example

house.fbx
houselod1.fbx
houselod2.fbx
houselod3.fbx

Converted to

house.mesh
houselod1.mesh
houselod2.mesh
houselod3.mesh

Then created the house.mesh with the lods

am i right in saying after i do this i no longer need the .fbx files or the mesh files apart from the house.mesh
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: mesh and lod

Postby AuShadow » 25 Mar 2015, 09:49

Just to add onto this is it possible to have all 3 LOD's in one model file and have them auto apply in mesh editor, I only ask as this was the only way to have LODin my last engine, process was basically you had you're 3 LOD meshes in blender separate and named LOD_0, LOD_1, and LOD_2, then selected all and exported as the one model, I can link to a document with pictures I done up as a tutorial for some one if this would help to understand what I mean.

I think if its possible to do the same with fbx it could streamline the LOD process a bit, bring in one model file and the LOD meshes are already in that file and automatically applied
AuShadow
Skyline Ensen

Skill: Great creative

Re: mesh and lod

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Mar 2015, 14:43

yeah i see what you all mean.

@Tattie: no, you still need the other meshes as they are only referenced inside the main mesh file, not copied inside.

@AuShadow: i understand what you mean. We can look at improving our lod system some more as it is still in its infancy.
This would be a good way of doing lods for those who are coming from other engines with assets already prepared.

We are currently planning on building a sub mesh editing toolset to be able to remove certain sub meshes or hide them from the main mesh.

There is also an automatic lod generation tool being prepared on the side that will make LOD Stages of assets even easier, and its quite accurate as well.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Mesh + Animation