Skyline Editor related tips n tricks!

Increase Camera Far Clip Distance

Increase Camera Far Clip Distance

Postby raisins » 17 Jul 2015, 09:23

Hey guys, I'm working on an open world game and I have a problem with the editor. I can't see enough to navigate my map. The map is 1000* larger than the default setup (default template with round floor). Also, the map disappears after some distance?

How can I fix this?

Thanks.
raisins
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Network guru

Re: Increase Camera Far Clip Distance

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Jul 2015, 09:41

There is a dockable panel which is called "scene settings". You can get to this with the default layout by scrolling across the panels in the bottom right, when you see scene settings click on it and the panel will change.

Look for the camera options and you will see a far clip distance.

Remember to be careful, large far clip with close near clip will start to cause depth fighting issues of materials over distance :)

Hope this helps :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby raisins » 17 Jul 2015, 09:45

Thank you :)
raisins
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Network guru

Postby lordalmighty1 » 17 Jul 2015, 11:25

hey sp, question if you don't mind?. or 2 lol, I have a map that is 10000 big and I change the far clip to 15000 but never new about the issue with close clip lol. so what would be ideal to change these to please in your opinion m8?.
I normally just change the far clip so I can see the whole map when editing the terrain etc.
any other tips regarding this would be appreciated :) thanks m8
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Jul 2015, 11:47

Near clip is down to what mechanic and camera is at play.

Example: FPS - Camera close to weapon and other buildings, floor etc.. so a near clip of 0.01 to 0.1 would be ideal. My preference is 0.1 (10cm), but can lead to a gap at the camera.

Example TPS - Camera is further away - So a near clip of 0.3 to 1.0 can be used depending on whether the camera collides with the walls etc...

Example Vehicle from TP - This in an open world could almost get away with 1m a unit of 1.0 for near clip, but you cannot get close to walls otherwise they clip out.

Example Vehicle from FP - This is similar to the FPS, a value of around 0.1 will be good or even 0.2

The near clip is also down to whether you see flashing in the distance as this is caused as described before from depth fighting. If you have too much flashing, reduce the far clip or move the near clip up. It all depends on a game.

0.01 is a low value and is advised to be higher than this :)

Edit: I believe the default value in the default scene is a good setting, which is what we use and only change when issues arise with depth fighting or near clipping of objects.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 17 Jul 2015, 12:38

thanks m8 :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby TattieBoJangle » 17 Jul 2015, 17:06

I have a map that is 10000 big and I change the far clip to 15000

That is one big ass map lol i added a video it may help it may not but just remember to increase the camera of the player other wise you don't see any further in game.

Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Jul 2015, 17:19

nice tattie :)

10000 is a big map (10km) but one of our older users who hasn't been active for a long time used to run at 16km and built road systems etc... But 32bit struggles with the memory consumption lol :P

A few pointers on the video:
> A Lod Bias of 0.15 will affect the terrain when it has hills and undulations. I tend to set the lod bias to what works with the terrain which is usually around 0.8 and then base my mesh lod distances on this.
> The flashing on the windows looked like they had a mesh underneath. Were they possibly converted from .x and contain all their lods in one mesh file :?:

Its great you mentioned about the performance of adding extra distance and that you showed the FPS player has its own camera with its own settings :) Overall really good video, Thank you :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 17 Jul 2015, 17:29

A Lod Bias of 0.15 will affect the terrain when it has hills and undulations.

ahh yea i should have said if its has big hills ect it will look like it is pulling/stretching so yea like you said its finding the sweet spot for what you need

The flashing on the windows looked like they had a mesh underneath. Were they possibly converted from .x and contain all their lods in one mesh file

no m8 no lod in the file or converting from x i get this sometimes with the engines trees with skyline so not sure.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 17 Jul 2015, 17:36

no m8 no lod in the file or converting from x i get this sometimes with the engines trees with skyline so not sure.

Ahh, interesting. Must be shader related.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 17 Jul 2015, 17:45

There is some interesting info down the page on clipping planes in this link although its another engine some of the info is still relevent: http://www.davenewson.com/dev/unity-notes-on-rendering-the-big-and-the-small

There is always a trade off between near and far clipping and this generally should be set for the type of game. Note though if you play with the far rang you should adjust the near range to prevent weird artifacts. This is a problem will most 3D rendering technology.
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby TattieBoJangle » 17 Jul 2015, 17:54

yea that is a nice read i think i stumbled on that before, before i came to skyline i used to use dof & fog to help with such things mask it lol i do love open world myself so i cant wait to see some screenshots to see what others are doing ;)
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby lordalmighty1 » 17 Jul 2015, 18:03

thanks for the vid tattie m8 :).
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 17 Jul 2015, 18:32

We have made a couple of big open world demos in the past, sadly we then change the core scale and this ruined them and another named "CornSquare" fails to load due to lack of memory :oops: , so hopefully once we get 64 bit we will get it back and be able to share it with you.
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Skyline Editor