Skyline Editor related tips n tricks!

What do i need to have a camera following a model

What do i need to have a camera following a model

Postby diedir » 14 Mar 2013, 15:15

Hi all,

need some explanation for a third view camera parented to a model which is moving regarding player inputs.
sorry to refer to my previous engine but the process was quite straight for these:

• Creating a camera
  • Parenting the cam to a model body (physic one)
  • Setting position and camera rotation
  • Updating in the main loop the position of the model based on the mouse input

But in Skyline i don't get it:
which kind of camera do i need to put in ?
which kind of controller, player ? i'm lost here...

I really need some help, i can't ever figure how the "Dark_player" is playing because it plays in the editor but camera is not behind her,
not as a FPS player camera should do...
thank you for helping
diedir
Skyline Apprentice

Re: What do i need to have a camera following a model

Postby StarFire » 14 Mar 2013, 17:44

Skyline currently has 2 highly customizable cameras; one specifically for fps and the other is a general purpose lazy cam/ 3rd person. The other way would be to attach a micro script then code the camera to follow the player.

The actions are the easiest/quickest route and save you from any coding as the action handles the updates and user input:
1) Open the action editor and attach a "Camera/Player Camera V2" to your model, then from its properties set it to behave how you want it too. There are a few preset properties to get you started, try "lazy cam" and tweak the setting.

2) To provide your model with user movement, attach the Physics/PhysX Player controller, this provides your model with custom key input and player property settings.

Edit: to open the actions - RMB when an object is selected.

Note: please ensure you have the entity base property "constant update" enabled or there will be no movement.

Alternatively just drop in the Player - Dex_BlackKnightress and change the model to your own then adjust the settings. For a first person camera drop in the Player - FPS preset and again adjust the properties to suit your needs.

We will look at a putting together a tutorial for the character cameras soon.

Hope this helps ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Skyline Editor