From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

FMod Audio in Skyline

FMod Audio in Skyline

Postby StarFire » 30 Apr 2015, 20:16

Hi guys,

We would like your opinions on integrating FMod audio into Skyline. http://www.fmod.org/fmod-studio/

This middleware would give Skyline professional audio and an external suit of tools to help develop your sound scapes. We are in contact with the company and can get a deal with them but this would require anyone who wants to use FMod to agree to their licence agreement. For most cases this would mean free pro audio for the most part.

Here is a quote from their website.http://www.fmod.org/sales/
FMOD Studio Free For Indies! License – Budget under $100k USD
If you are developing an indie title and your total costs are less than $100k USD at time of shipping, you can now use FMOD for free!
Conditions / Limitations
- FMOD Studio and FMOD Studio programmer’s API only. Any platform / Operating System
- Register with us with your Title name, Release date, Platform(s), Company (or your) name and address and Website address
- 1 title per year only. If more than 1 title is developed per year it must be licensed commercially. See below table.
- Credits are required. See credits section at bottom of page for more details
- No license documentation is required, use our EULA as reference for your documentation.

We would still leave the existing audio in place for anyone who would not want to use the middleware. But our issue would be that everyone who purchased Skyline would need to agree to FMod and this goes against our principles. But why should this stop us all from using pro sound?

Obviously in time we could develop our own pro audio but this would take time away from other areas of development and there is already a pro system available to us.

Q - What do you think we should do? Do we integrate it and have 2 versions of Skyline on the install. One for FMod users who need to agree to FMods license and the other for the standard Skyline audio users?

Take a look at their tech and please let share your views and thoughts on the matter :geek:
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Re: FMod Audio in Skyline

Postby TattieBoJangle » 30 Apr 2015, 20:30

I cant talk for everyone on here but i don't think any of us will be spending $100k or £65k on our game so it will be more what do we have to do for example it says

- Register with us with your Title name, Release date, Platform(s), Company (or your) name and address and Website address

When do we do this when our game is about to release ?

Other than that everything looks great and would make a nice addition to skyline.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby StarFire » 30 Apr 2015, 20:39

When do we do this when our game is about to release ?

I would hope its when you want to release your game. But we can ask them to be sure.
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StevenP » 01 May 2015, 15:14

As long as we can chose not to use it. That way for one game I may use it but for others I may not. Hopefully, this wouldn't conflict with their license of 1 title per year (I would assume that's 1 title that uses FMod per year.)
StevenP
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 01 May 2015, 15:23

yeah, that's what we believe.

The problem being is that it would be integrated into skyline, which means it is being redistributed and can't be taken out.
So does that mean we would need to have two versions of the Skyline Editor, player, game .exe's based on whether the license for FMOD is accepted on the installer or not.

We are going to leave the current audio system in as default so you can do what you are saying Steven.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StevenP » 01 May 2015, 16:04

I think for VR positional audio is very important which would be a good use of FMod. But for something like a puzzle game, not so much. ;)
StevenP
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 01 May 2015, 16:13

Well, the current sound system already has positional audio, albeit not the greatest, but it works enough to give you the sense of immersion. You just have to remember to create a mono sound lol :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Skyline Development