From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

New Feature: Mesh Baking to file

New Feature: Mesh Baking to file

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Oct 2015, 11:42

Hey Everyone,

Past few days, i have been working on a way to merge several meshes in the scene together into their own unique mesh which is great if you have a pack that is modular parts of a bulding, as you can make your own .mesh file buildings from them.

Doing this will also allow you to rotate all the meshes at once as they are no longer individual meshes.

Please don't confuse this feature with batching. This technique will not offer any performance enhancements as all the meshes are simply made into submeshes under the singular created mesh file.

Good news, is that meshes can be scaled, rotated and positioned and all their transforms will be kept when baking. Also once baked, rendering work perfectly as all their 1:1 ratios are reset but keep their transforms.

I would record a video, but my laptop does not have a recorder at this moment in time, but this feature will be in for the next release. :)

@lordalmighty1, this was the feature you asked for when designing your road system as you could not rotate all the meshes together and it was a pain to select each one.

We are still planning on making more improvements to skyline which are similar to this:
> Batching
> Grouping / Baking / Unbaking
> Rotate all selected meshes
> Ability to quickly select more in the scene
> etc.. :)

Happy Developing.

Note: All done outside the studio in the kitchen lol :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Re: New Feature: Mesh Baking to file

Postby epsilonion » 08 Oct 2015, 13:13

Sounds like a good feature...

At least been in the kitchen you dont have to stop to make a coffee or make a sandwich... one hand on the kettle the other of the keyboard lmfao....

:lol:
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: New Feature: Mesh Baking to file

Postby SolarPortal » 08 Oct 2015, 13:53

:D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Skyline Development