From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

MicroGraph Performance Test

MicroGraph Performance Test

Postby StarFire » 21 Nov 2015, 23:35

Just been running performance test comparison between actions, Lua and Micrograph.

Four presets were made for each test. Each preset was scripted to make a cube shape rotate by:
1) action rotate
2) Lua entity.turn(...) in the micro script update loop
3) micro graph containing a rotate module.
4) control just a cube!

A simple scene script was then used to spawn the cube preset in an array of x=30 x z=30. So we had a screen full of 900 rotating cube and checked on the metrics, the results are as follows.

1) Action: 330 frames per second
2) Lua: 135 frames per second
3) Micrograph: 230 frames per second
4) Control: 440 frames per second

So the new visual module system will give better performance than Lua and be more friendly to use. Still it is best to have developed systems in actions where can be. It does make a good argument for a Skyline SDK at some point. I am now wondering what the performance hit would be from c# mono, maybe something to check out at another time?

So for most cases full game systems should be created dev side as actions, but where user customization is require the module system is the best bet. :)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Re: MicroGraph Performance Test

Postby TattieBoJangle » 21 Nov 2015, 23:48

Damm Lua that's some drop :o
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby SolarPortal » 22 Nov 2015, 00:55

yeah, finally getting to develop a module or two myself now :) System is much faster and easier to use.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby epsilonion » 22 Nov 2015, 11:48

Can not wait to see c# implemented and see how that compaires.

Would have thought scripting would have been better than that tbh. I am sure there would be some tweaking to do later on in development closer to v1
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby StarFire » 22 Nov 2015, 16:16

What we are seeing is the time honored problem of interpreted languages over compiled languages and compiled code will always win, this is why actions win hands down. Lua is one of the fastest of the interpreted languages and most flexible.
I really don't know how c# will perform as it does get compiled but still gets passed to the run time interpreter which will slow it down. I dont think it will out perform modules and certainly not beat actions.

When you look at it all of the options perform great, there are 1000's of operation per loop as each object processes values and updates the parent objects render node . Lua's bottle neck is in the parsing of the commands as they get passed between the core and run-time systems. ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Skyline Development