From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

Skyline savegame and loadgame ?

Skyline savegame and loadgame ?

Postby tumira » 07 Aug 2016, 12:30

Hi

Been searching new game engine for my projects. Does Skyline support savegame and loadgame ? Is it easy ? I mean do I need to spend about 1 or more weeks to get it implemented ? Is view coding or the graph thing ? Does the game engine easily serialized ?

Im asking because I noticed that alot of game engines really does not help the game developer in this manner.

Also when is the next big update going to be released? With PBR ? Linux or Mac supports ?

Thanks
tumira
Skyline Novice

Re: Skyline savegame and loadgame ?

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Aug 2016, 14:53

Hi and Welcome to the forums tumira :D We hope you enjoy the engine :)

Skyline does not have a button that automatically saves and loads game saves. But we do have a full JSON serializer and can also implement an XML write/read. We prefer the JSON as we will be able to encrypt/decrypt the file easily to stop users from hacking their game saves and cheating lol :P

Currently this has to be done in LUA using the json.functions() library and you should be able to set it up in a few hours instead of days or weeks. If need be, we can setup a demo to showcase this.

As for the PBR, we are moving forwards with it very quickly and now have material editing and the start of the newer terrain system. It will take a little while to get running smoothly but we hope to get an alpha version to play with asap.

Meanwhile, we are preparing the current version of skyline for a steam release.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby epsilonion » 08 Aug 2016, 21:03

SolarPortal wrote:If need be, we can setup a demo to showcase this.

This would be great and to add it to the document server for future users would be an idea.
Maybe a demo scene with a video with voice to make it easier to understand (knowing how you love to speak on video :lol: )

can not wait for the New PBR system.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Postby tumira » 02 Sep 2016, 09:30

SolarPortal wrote:Hi and Welcome to the forums tumira :D We hope you enjoy the engine :)

Skyline does not have a button that automatically saves and loads game saves. But we do have a full JSON serializer and can also implement an XML write/read. We prefer the JSON as we will be able to encrypt/decrypt the file easily to stop users from hacking their game saves and cheating lol :P

Currently this has to be done in LUA using the json.functions() library and you should be able to set it up in a few hours instead of days or weeks. If need be, we can setup a demo to showcase this.

As for the PBR, we are moving forwards with it very quickly and now have material editing and the start of the newer terrain system. It will take a little while to get running smoothly but we hope to get an alpha version to play with asap.

Meanwhile, we are preparing the current version of skyline for a steam release.

I know I'm late to reply. I really like the idea. Can I know eta for the new Gen 2 ? on steam ? Please provide proper tutorials, documentation and maybe a good example or templates when it is released.

My request
1)PBR
2)Rain effects, puddles ?
3)Full game example(Simple yet fully featured) with
-Menu UI (New, Load, Options, Pause, Resume, Exit and etc)
-HUD (Health, ammo, reload and etc)
-animation blending
-Good AI example ? (Seek, Roam, Patrol, Hide , retreat ?)
-Save and load gamestate example ? Maybe with slot no ?
4)Linux, Mac editor and exporter ?
5)Maybe Steam API intergrated in the engine so we can easily just call it ?
6)Decals
7)Will the assets (mesh, textures, materials , sounds and etc ) be encrypted when I published my games ? I just dont want some guy from the forum copied the assets from my game assets.
8)Navmesh navigation would be great

Do you already put the game engine on Steam for Greenlight ? Any links to share ? You really should put it early for Greenlight while polishing it.
tumira
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Sep 2016, 13:16

Hi Tumira,

Thanks for your response. I will answer the best i can.
Eta for Gen2 and Steam are unknown due to a few factors. - Making the engine stable for at least an alpha release. - How long steam greenlight takes. Can be anywhere from a few months or a year lol

We are planning a rewrite of documentation to match the new renderer and editor for skyline along with tutorials and videos to accompany the documentation.

Ok onto requests; there are many that the current Gen1 version of skyline is capable of already like navmesh, AI, Animation Blending etc...
1) PBR: This is a given and is already the main pipeline for Gen2 Skyline. Check out the blog for recent posts related to the visuals of the engine using PBR.
2) Rain Effects, puddles? I dont see why not, yesterday we just made the new PBR system expandable with many options planned in to make the most of the PBR shaders :)
3) It would be good to have a full game example with all the components to show the users how to do it. This has been a request by many users now though.
4) Linux/Mac? Well, this one is an unknown yet as skyline has been a PC only engine for a while. But our editor is cross platform and most of the code is aswell, so it would be possible but is a lot of effort. Plus we do not have hardware for Mac and Linux to build on lol :P
5) The Steam API integration is being built into Gen1 atm, and will be moved onto Gen2 when ready. We will be able to create lua functions and visual modules to control the Steam API/ Workshop features :)
6) Decals are a must in any game just to add that explosion damage, bullet effects etc... plus it helps with leaves and rubble or paper, potholes or manhole covers etc... Decals are in the cards to be supported.
7) Mesh, texture, material and sounds are already able to be encrypted with the full "Commercial indie" version of skyline. Our packages are *.pak and *.ark which one is for end game(.pak); whereas the other is for assets that can only be used in editor(.ark). This will stop anyone getting your assets.
8) We already have navmesh.

There is no version of skyline on steam yet, but we are building the greenlight profile and want the first hit from any user to see stonking visuals and videos showcasing the engine.

Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Skyline Development