From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

Release Date for the new Version

Release Date for the new Version

Postby r2ks » 29 May 2019, 23:53

Do you all have a release date for the new version?
r2ks
Skyline Ensen

Re: Release Date for the new Version

Postby epsilonion » 30 May 2019, 10:18

If I can jump in here..
I have been told that it's not far away with no date given..

Hope this helps..
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 31 May 2019, 17:17

Yes, but we were also told that it would be out before the end of they year (2018). Then, it won't be long ... ;)

Not trying to be uppity, but a little update from time to time (not months or many weeks apart) would be helpful, me thinks.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3090 ti 24GB, Windows 11 64-bit, dual monitor display
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby r2ks » 02 Jun 2019, 03:54

Thank You , monkeyfrogstudio that is all i wanted was a Honest Clear Cut answer I have been reading the post's very sad it seems like a very nice product lack of documentation and lack of upfront transparency is not going to help this product you can not promise some thing and then back out of it by 6 months and expect customers to buy this product when there are so many free products out there.
Do not get me wrong i think it looks awesome but at this point can not see my self paying for this product... Looking foward to the day they get better documentation and consistent release dates of there products...
Peace
r2ks
Skyline Ensen

Postby epsilonion » 03 Jun 2019, 11:07

It has been a wait, we are currently testing the newest build of the engine, obviously we want to get as many wrinkles out of the engine before it is committed to the master branch and released.

As testers we have to adear to a NDA that is in force at the moment so not much can be said about the newest build of the engine that is in development.

Tattie is the community manager and has more information than I have so maybe he can say something here.

I do know that the developers have been hard at work updating to physx 4.1 and getting some cool features in and they are working hard as ever.

Yes they might be quieter then they have been previously but over the last year updates slowed down as they where more involved with the community so a decision was made to concentrate on the development of the engine and make up for some of the lost time.

Don't get me wrong they are community minded but the development slowed down and they need to try to catch up with there behind the scenes schedual of works.

As you can understand the development platform needs a testing phase before release at each phase and that is what we are doing at the moment, like I say there is a massive update with physx 4.1 that is a major undertaking that's is in development as we speak and that will need testing when it comes to that time.

The plan is to put it very basically is to get lots of work done and tested and then to release a major update instead of many smaller ones, I know that this may not be ideal for some people but to catch up on the schedual is the main concern at the moment and to get the next build tested as much as possible before the next release.

I know it's not a date set in stone but I hope this gives you some insight to what's happening and why they hasn't been much chatter from the developers.
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby monkeyfrogstudio » 03 Jun 2019, 18:07

To be frank, none of that bothers me (the developers pulling back from the community to concentrate on development of the engine and tools, the NDA that testers are under, cool features being added, etc.). But the developers need to understand that virtual silence does not help those that are currently interested in the engine. Especially in light of the fact that it was announced several months before the end of the last year that the new engine would be soon forthcoming. Delays happen and it's understandable that the developers want a release to be as feature rich and as bug free as possible. So, I (personally) understand this. I also understand that it's difficult to put a date on a shifting target. Even so, it wouldn't hurt to state something along the lines of, "Our plan is to have version X released by Q3 of this year, but unforeseen issues may prevent that." I would guess the developers have at least a basic idea for when they would like to release the engine. Why not share that with a clear statement that anything can change?

I am getting close to completing a non-computer game project I am working on. I hope to have it near completing in the next few months. After that, I plan to start my first planned PC game. Because of this, I will soon be looking at engines to use for this. I already have a license for a few, have Unreal downloaded, and have Godot (my current choice of engine). However, there were things about Skyline that made me want to consider it for my project instead. I would hate to start my game project in one of the other engines a few months from now, only to discover that Skyline gets released a week later. If the developers state that the next version won't be out until Q1 of 2020, then I will know to not consider Skyline for my next project, but perhaps the next one or the one after that. But if Skyline is coming out this year, then I might consider it and, as a result, purchase a license.

Silence, in this sense, does no one any good. A proposed date, even if that date keeps moving, at least shows us the intent of the developers.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3090 ti 24GB, Windows 11 64-bit, dual monitor display
monkeyfrogstudio
Skyline Master

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Skyline Development