From time to time we will inform the community of certain areas of Skyline Development. If we have decided to add a new features or new demos in development etc we will try to make a post in this topic.Feel free to leave your comments to help encourage out development team ; )

v2 - Thumbnail Generation is now asynchronous

v2 - Thumbnail Generation is now asynchronous

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Jun 2020, 19:09

Hey everyone, As part of the v2.0 overhaul, ask yourself this question. Have you ever sat waiting while the asset manager generates the thumbnails of meshes, materials and textures and on large folders how annoying it can be? as the engine will stutter bad as the images are loaded.
Well if you have you will be very happy to hear about the new background threading that handles thumbnail generation.

The folder when selected, checks to see if thumbnails already exist and if it does great, then use that. But if it doesnt, then it will send the job to the background thread and the manager displays a temp icon until the image is generated.
While this is generating all the images, there is little to no stutter.
Because textures are streamed we can now wait on textures to be ready before taking the shot on a second thread but leave the editor in tact at full frame rate until the thumbnail is ready and then syncs to the main thread to display the icon.
Much faster and happier with the manager now.

Texture files always have a thumbnail generated now instead of only dds or tga files. This makes it so the manager never has to load the images at full resolution unless its done on a background thread, as texture folders were the worst for waiting on.

The only stutters caused now are from loading meshes which can only be done on main thread as we dont support background streaming of meshes yet.

Nothing to really show, but when we can start to show the editor off, a video will be made if i dont forget lol :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Re: v2 - Thumbnail Generation is now asynchronous

Postby Sage1969 » 01 Jul 2020, 00:05

This will be great. Can not wait.
Sage1969
Skyline Ensen

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 05 Jul 2020, 01:10

i have also added this to the material editor which is now loading much faster on materials that use larger textures.
Micro seconds instead of seconds for 8k textures, and when the image is processed, it appears in the editor.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer

Postby Sage1969 » 05 Jul 2020, 02:22

Nice, I have a feeling you will see much of this word. :lol: