Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

how can we test the actual game

how can we test the actual game

Postby Ellement » 03 Dec 2012, 15:28

Hey , i am working on a single player FPS level , it will take me 1 or 2 weeks , but if i wanted to test it on my pc as standalone, any way to do this? I want to know what is the performance s going to look like
Ellement
Skyline Padawan

Re: how can we test the actual game

Postby StarFire » 03 Dec 2012, 16:30

Great to hear you are working on a mini project ;)

Currently the is no export to exe feature but using the editor in play mode will give you a close comparison for performance until we release the exe export. We do all performance test in the editor as this was part of the original design plan, to save time when testing your games.

There are many thing you can do to get a good performance if you need help optimizing we are here to help.

All Game engines require special techniques to get the most performance out of them. Some engines have built in tricks out of the box others you have to know what do. We have used top engines and slowed them to a crawl with very little in the scene then performing optimization techniques the same scene will run very fast.

Performance tricks:
Lower your textures to as small as can be but still looking good from the players position.
Use dds textures with mipmaps
use a shader without normals if they are not needed.
Use low poly meshes ( lodding system will be available soon)
Careful use of visibility.
Use the correct shadow settings.
Reduce light ranges ( new shader next release)
reduce number of lights. ( new shader next release)
Use smaller terrain sizes.

Once you have the level we will help you to get the performance the best it can be, you will be very surprised ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Misc