Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

Skyline Resource Collector

Skyline Resource Collector

Postby epsilonion » 10 Nov 2015, 00:00

I am wondering...

I created a project but used the asset library to bring in my models etc, if I use the resource collector to pull all my assets from the library into the project directory does it include these in the resource list so I can use them from the project folder/sub directories?

The location of my working project directory is D:\Aurasoft UK\Skyline\Projects\Resistance IF

This would make zipping it up and uploading so the Skyline Devs can see any problems I am having/outlined available straight to the devs and all models, textures etc would be there but I would also be able to keep working on the project using the projects sub directories in stead of the main asset library because it can get messy..

Hope you understand what I am trying to say (very tired here atm).. :D
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: Skyline Resource Collector

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Nov 2015, 00:11

hmm, project directories are designed to make it easier when handling a project such as yours.
A Project has its own resource list and when adding resources that are inside a project, it will be added to your project resource list instead of the asset library resource list.

In order to add your project to the asset library resources, you will have to manually add the project to resources. I think... even this may not be possible. They were kept seperate for development reasons.

When using a project, assets will always be loaded from the project folder first. At least it used to haha... :lol:

Anyway, pretty tired here also, so i hope this helps in answering your question :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby TattieBoJangle » 10 Nov 2015, 00:24

Yea I think its good the way it is as remember the engine we used to use the way they worked is say you had a folder with 8GB of models but only used 1-2 models out of that folder when packaging it up to a standalone game it would add the full 8GB folder :/ and you had to manually remove all the stuff you didn't use pain in the a**
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby epsilonion » 10 Nov 2015, 00:30

So this could be the issue I am having with having to add the logo.png to the asset library resources for the mainmenu GUI everytime I load the scene other wise it shows as texture missing.

I had to add the logo.png to the asset library resources for it to show, this problem only started when I uninstalled skyline and installed the latest version for this latest patch, the full thing worked properly before then. well apart from that it couldnt find particles when loading a scene from a scene but thats an old issue.

All the assets I have used baring the GUI are from the asset library and was thinking if they could be added to the project sub directories would kinda seperate them from the main asset library and make them specific for that project..
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby TattieBoJangle » 10 Nov 2015, 00:42

Yea I believe the way it works is it has a library think of this as all of your stuff for any game then as you place models into the scene it creates a resource list so when it comes to export it only uses they files sort of thing I think that's how it works anyway lol
so if you use something in level 1 and use it again in level 2 it shouldn't use anymore I think anyway almost fallout time for me so see you guys in a few weeks hahaha ;)
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Return to Misc