Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

Gearing up for project...

Gearing up for project...

Postby Ryder » 25 Feb 2016, 09:26

Hi all,

So I'm gearing up to work on a project, and thought I'd ask the users about basic functionality requirements (and wishlist) that have for the project... and how well they mesh with the capabilities of Skyline.

Requirements:

- Visual inventory system (meaning, lots of images of inventory items, drag n drop interaction).
- Day/night cycles.
- Realtime scaling of entities (via script).
- "Cut scenes" by video file, or if need be, by secondary camera, set to display a scripted cut scene.

Wants:
- Vignette post processing
- grain/noise in post processing
- color (de)saturation in post processing
- wind simulation (affecting global physics... example, all particle systems in game)
- rain effects (modulated)
- fog effects (modulated)

So... can I get there from here?

Thank you for your kind help.

Ryder
"A scale model is never done. You just stop working on it."
Ryder
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Animator
Skill: Great creative

Re: Gearing up for project...

Postby Shando » 25 Feb 2016, 12:25

Hi Ryder,

I can answer a bit of your wishlist by saying that SkyX (the Environment System in Skyline) has heaps of advanced features:

•Atmosphere manager.
•Sun, Moon and star field.
•Layer clouds.
•Full volumetric cloud system.
•Full Time of Day Integration (Day/Night Cycle with full dynamic lighting).

and from my own tests it works really well (I love the Lightning!)

With regards to the other bits:

Visual inventory system (meaning, lots of images of inventory items, drag n drop interaction) - this will need quite a bit of work as you need to have a really good understanding of the GUI System (LibRocket).

Realtime scaling of entities (via script) - this should be working already, but I haven't tried it.

"Cut scenes" by video file, or if need be, by secondary camera, set to display a scripted cut scene - Not sure on this one, but I don't think there is Video playback just yet?

post processing - there are a huge number of post-processing effects, but I've not really used them and I'm not 100% sure that they work at the moment?

wind simulation (affecting global physics... example, all particle systems in game) - PhysX has wind simulation and seems to work fairly well from my limited testing.

HTH

Shando
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Feb 2016, 14:50

I will answer the questions around what Shando already mentioned as most of it is correct :)

- "Cut scenes" by video file, or if need be, by secondary camera, set to display a scripted cut scene.

This is planned in as many users require it and is a common way of doing cinematics :)

- Vignette post processing

We have this :) This could be found in the older pfx panel which was part of the main editor.

- grain/noise in post processing

Not yet :(

- color (de)saturation in post processing

Yes, part of the Photofilter options in the PFX editor.

- wind simulation (affecting global physics... example, all particle systems in game)

Personally, i havent played with this yet, but there is no reason it couldn't be programmed. Vegetation has its own wind settings though. Particles could be edited using the affectors but no lua code is present for these.

- rain effects (modulated)
- fog effects (modulated)

No sure what you mean by the (modulated), but we have rain particles that you could place with the player.

Fog can be used simply through the scene settings or enable height fog from the Environment editor.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist

Postby Ryder » 26 Feb 2016, 05:09

Thanks Shando, SP,

RE: doing cinematics... which version is planned? Video file playback, or 2nd camera scripted real time?

modulated (rain/fog) simply means that they can be influenced real-time...

SP... as far as vignette being found in the "older" pfx panel... does this imply it's no longer part of the interface... or are both the older and newer panels still working? (I'll worry about finding them later :)

Thanks!

R
"A scale model is never done. You just stop working on it."
Ryder
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Animator
Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Feb 2016, 14:20

The old panel still holds 20+ effects, but are not adjustable like the SSAO, HDR and Photofilters of the newer post fx panel.

You can get the old one by right clicking on the main engine toolbar at the top and open the Post Effects panel or get the new pfx editor by right clicking in the scene and choosing the bottom option :)

Ok, i get what you mean with the modulated effects. lua can control particles to do what you want and whats missing can be added.

For cinematics, liam, Shando & myself have managed to make a camera cutscene for example:

but we do have the video ones planned aswell that will be built into a trigger to play a video and audio.

Hope this helps :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist

Return to Misc