Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

ARK extension

ARK extension

Postby cassius_b » 26 Apr 2016, 20:24

I see some models that come with engine have ARK extension. How can these be used?
cassius_b
Skyline Ensen

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Programmer

Re: ARK extension

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 26 Apr 2016, 20:28

From my understanding...These are like encrypted files...They are included in the engine, but we don't have direct access to them...SolarPortal can probably explain this better...
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby cassius_b » 26 Apr 2016, 20:37

Thanks. I am looking for a modern day building. I have many medieval ones but they wont look right in my project.
cassius_b
Skyline Ensen

Postby Shando » 27 Apr 2016, 00:33

Hey buddy,

Have you tried Turbosquid (http://www.turbosquid.com)? They have heaps of pretty cool free & not-so-free models that can be used as placeholders (unless they have a commercial licence) until you buy/create own.

Here's an example:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-european-building-3d-model/942222

I bought all of my building assets from there for a game that I'm going to make when multiplayer is up and running.

Regards

Shando
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Postby SolarPortal » 27 Apr 2016, 11:15

The ark file is an encrypted package that is inaccessible to view the contents for licensing reasons and also can only be used in the editor. The .pak can be used in end game and editor :)

.ark & .pak files are automatically loaded into the engine when they are placed in the "Asset Library\ARK Files" folder. We tend to store a preset of the meshes that need to be used as that will load the asset into the engine rather than not being able to open the content to drag it in the scene.

Anyone can create their own archives from the tools menu in the main menu which is apart of the main editor.

As for assets, we have been around many asset stores across the web and purchased a few to use in our games/tech demos/examples.

Such sites like: Arteria3D, Dexsoft, 3dFoin, turbosquid as Shando mentioned.

Even then, there are still more and if licenses permit it, then stores from other game engines can be used if the assets are in a .FBX format.

Hope this helps :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Misc