Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

High GPU and exported game exe not working

High GPU and exported game exe not working

Postby T4r4ntul4 » 03 Jul 2020, 15:54

Hi all,

I am new to this engine (just found out that this engine exist a few days ago).

Just downladed the lite version to test the engine. (Version says V1.1.2.0)
2 things are weird:

(this is happening on the 'Race Track' demo)

1. Just in the editor, without doing anything, my GPU goes very high (93%) and my pc fans going crazy (i selected DirectX 11)
2. Exporting a game exe,goes ok, but when starting i only see the skyline intro, after that it just exits the game without notice. (i did get alot of errors afterwards about a non-existing game manager and materials not found, but i didnt change anything to it, just went straight ahead to test export to an exe)

With the GPU this high i cant really test out this game engine any further.

Your gen2 engine looks promising, i really want this (version 1.0) to get it working normal for testing and trying stuff.

Are these known issues, if yes, how to solve?
T4r4ntul4
Skyline Initiate

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Great creative

Re: High GPU and exported game exe not working

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Jul 2020, 16:13

HI T4r4ntul4,
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, the GPU, if the Lock FPS button is unchecked, the engine will try to render as fast as possible. If the lock is set to 60fps and its still happening, then this is the first we have heard of this.
To set the lock FPS, go to Scene Settings( the tab is located in the lower right portion of the default window. ) > Look for Lock FPS near the top and check the checkbox. This will lock the engine from running faster than it needs too.
The metrics can be shown from the main toolbar to see the FPS, also in menu > View > Show metrics.

Secondly as for the game export. I am unsure whether all the templates were set up with the default game manager. The game manager is what handles the export, it holds all window information, level loading, menu screens, idents, plus much more. There is a high probability that the end game is crashing due to the main menu on the end game. Try from a scene you make > Save > Then export the game. The one thing i know with skyline is that there is usually more than one away around a problem. The game manager is a hidden panel if you right click on the main toolbar where there is no icons.

Glad to see that you have found your way here.

Just downladed the lite version to test the engine. (Version says V1.0.0)

The latest version should be v1.1.2.0 which you can find out from inside the engine > Menu bar > About.

Gen2 to us is now considered old, we are currently overhauling the entire engine for the v2.0 release which is going to feature many more things and possibly run quicker again, plus have a full lua SDK and many other high end features. v2.0 also features a full GPU based textures which use streaming and background threads.

Sadly we fell behind on a lot of our work(family matters), so there's quite a bit of catching up to do. which is why there is a lack of updates to the versions released as well as bug fixes.

Im hoping that beta for v2.0 will be roughly 2 month away if nothing gets in the way :)

Edit: Tested on my version, got same crash. Also the template does have its frame rate unlocked. So the method above will fix that for you.

As for exporting the racetrack, simply save the racetrack scene to your own content library and it will export and run.
Template scenes require you to save or save as as you cannot overwrite their content which is probably why the game manager does not work :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby T4r4ntul4 » 03 Jul 2020, 16:47

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answers.

The lock FPS kind of solved the high GPU, but its still high: about 20% for 60FPS, and about 10% for 30 FPS.
With a saved new scene, exporting a game exe works as expected.

I do have a few questions tho:

1. Is version 2 an update to version 1.0 or is it an entirley new product?
1A. If its an update, are there any costs to it? if yes, how much?
1B. If its not an update to 1.0 and its a new product, how much will it cost?
2. The forums seems a bit empty, are there other form of communications? (something like discord)
Engine questions:
3. Can you make worlds thats are entirely procedural? (any examples?)
4. Are there mesh commands, to edit meshes on the fly in code? (any examples?)
5. How big of a world can you make? are there limitations in size? (yes there always limitations, but i mean, for example: can i make 10km x 10km sized worlds? or a big space sim?)
6. I saw that someone requested GLtf import, i second that. In blender (or any other 3D editor) you can make your whole 3D object with textures and PBR materials, and you can that directly import that to the engine. It would make importing 3D objects so much easier.
7. Is it possible to make 2D games?

Thank you for your time.
T4r4ntul4
Skyline Initiate

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Jul 2020, 17:07

there is always some form of GPU load / CPU load in the editor, because its rendering the interface aswell as the scene.
Should be less in the end game if vsync is active, which is on by default i think.

ok, V2.0 is the same product but fully revamped. We will be releasing it with commercial rights and no hidden gotchas like earning caps or royalties of any sort. There might be plugins you get which if they use third party libraries like fmod or other bits, then those will have their licenses. But the engine we provide will have no hidden costs... completely free. (all subject to change for what will be available.)

That doesnt mean everything will be included though and we will be moving to adopt a addon purchases for editors, tools, assets... as this will be the way our engine generates money to continue its development.
The Pro and Studio Pro will still be available for purchasing but these will come will all official tools and plugins that would be sold separately for the free version. However upon release of v2.0, the prices of Pro and Studio Pro will increase, so purchasing early will get you those goodies later :P

GlTF format is on the plans to be added as it has been requested quite a few times.

There is no theoretical limit on your world size(16km x 16km has been our biggest), but past 10,000 units you may begin to experience jitter or depth issues due to the range of floating points. In v2.0 we will be adding the ability for the origin to be relocated every 1000 units to give a theoretical infinite size world.

3. Can you make worlds thats are entirely procedural? (any examples?)
4. Are there mesh commands, to edit meshes on the fly in code? (any examples?)

v2.0 will be released with the lua SDK, giving direct access to the same c++ classes we use in engine. This means you will be able to edit meshes and textures by blitting or updating buffers on the fly.

If we can, this will be exposed to the visual modules allowing more performance as they are direct c++ nodes, but this is to be discussed later.

Procedural placement is already possible, one user by the name of @PlanetX managed to make an islands vegetation procedurally.

one of the big focuses of v2.0 is larger open world games with no loading. This means that the memory management of the engine has to be on point which is one of my current goals.

Not sure if it was released in your version, but we have support for 2D views in our version, although it would still have to use PhysX for physics and lock to 2 axis only. Still and in dev feature.

As for forums, we are not a very well known engine and due to the long time away from the engine we had, the forums quietened down a lot, but hopefully we can start making it active again as we have seen this week. There used to be discord, but we stopped using it as it consumed to much of our dev time. but the servers should still be available... not sure if anyone uses it now though.

Note: We are only a 2 man dev team :P but have been working on the engine for the past decade now and still going through some extreme lows. Our passion for this tech will never end :)

Hope this helps and answers some of your questions.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby T4r4ntul4 » 03 Jul 2020, 17:22

Iam happy to hear it will all be possible with the current and some things with the new engine.

Iam going to test the engine further, to the things i need for my game.

If i have questions ill post it in this topic.

Thank you for your answers.
T4r4ntul4
Skyline Initiate

Return to Misc