Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

questions about the skyline...

questions about the skyline...

Postby ant0N » 05 Nov 2012, 05:31

Hi all! sorry for the obscure speech, I don't speak English.
I have a few questions. Does Skyline:
1 - 3D VISION.
2 - huge landscapes
3 - What is the maximum number of objects in the scene?
4 - Internal Terrain paging support

This engine I like it very much! LUA - it's wonderful!!! If you will actively develop it, then I will definitely buy it. I even have the idea of making the Russian community. :)
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller

Re: questions about the skyline...

Postby StarFire » 05 Nov 2012, 11:38

Welcome to Skyline antON : )

To answer your questions:
1) 3D Vision: We will look into this. Currently you could possibly do something similar by writing your own shader( Skyline uses standard shader code such as cg/hlsl/glsl ) but in time we can add it as a main feature,( can you make a post in the feature requests section of the forums requesting 3D Vision, thanks).

2) Huge landscapes: Yes Skyline will be able to do vast limitless terrains as it has built in paging( feature currently under development) and has a great set of terrain sculpting tools and painting. The terrain system also has built in vegetation paging for huge numbers of trees,bushes and grasses.

3) Objects in scene: Currently this is fixed at 5000 until we go beta and then it will be limitless (memory dependent)

4) Terrain Paging: Yes we are currently working on this and looking at streaming the pages from disc.

We are very happy you like Skyline : ) we are constantly developing the engine and and have so many cool new features still to add. We plan to have a full release as soon as it is physically possible.
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby ant0N » 06 Nov 2012, 05:44

Thank you! This is really cool!
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Re: вопросы о горизонта...

Postby ant0N » 06 Nov 2012, 17:12

and when there is physics? The bullet, Newton or Physx?
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 06 Nov 2012, 18:14

Yes Skyline has physics, we are using Bullet as this has a cool vehicle system. PhysX, Havok were considered but Bullet came out on top to fit our plans.

Physics example:
From an empty scene, add a directional light.
Open the physics preset library, library drop down at the top of the preset panel. Choose Physics.
Drag an instance of Bt Ground, Bt Stacked Sphere and move this sphere above the ground.Add the Bt Throw to the scene.

Select in the scene list the stack sphere and open its properties and change the Bullet Stack/Stack height to 10.
Next press the play button and you should see a falling stack of spheres. Press the space bar to shoot at the spheres.
To stop and go back to the scene press the play/stop button again or ESC key.

To see slow motion physics move the scene speed slider in the scene editor tool bar.

I will write up a simple physics tutorial and how to add a ridged body to your mesh, once we get the next release out.

I hope this helps :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Ellement » 06 Nov 2012, 18:51

when using Bullet physics, does it take advantage of Nvidia powered physX graphics card? Or it uses CPU only? because on my machine it is very slow.

here is the setup:

stackRows 10
StackCollumns 10
StackHeight 20

i believe , it uses only Cpu.

I have quadCore cpu , and have Nvidia GTX 560 1Gb and Get 3Fps

i did same setup with UDk , and it had 300fps :-/
Ellement
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 06 Nov 2012, 19:19

Thank you for the information :)

I think it is currently CPU, I will have to look into this when we revisit the physics development. I know that it is not running multicore yet, this will have a huge impact on performance. It would be cool to get a better frame rate for this so we will be giving it a good make over ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ucm » 19 Nov 2012, 10:55

NightHawk wrote:Welcome to Skyline antON : )

To answer your questions:
1) 3D Vision: We will look into this. Currently you could possibly do something similar by writing your own shader( Skyline uses standard shader code such as cg/hlsl/glsl ) but in time we can add it as a main feature,( can you make a post in the feature requests section of the forums requesting 3D Vision, thanks).

2) Huge landscapes: Yes Skyline will be able to do vast limitless terrains as it has built in paging( feature currently under development) and has a great set of terrain sculpting tools and painting. The terrain system also has built in vegetation paging for huge numbers of trees,bushes and grasses.

3) Objects in scene: Currently this is fixed at 5000 until we go beta and then it will be limitless (memory dependent)

4) Terrain Paging: Yes we are currently working on this and looking at streaming the pages from disc.

We are very happy you like Skyline : ) we are constantly developing the engine and and have so many cool new features still to add. We plan to have a full release as soon as it is physically possible.

#1 nVidia and amd/ATI use different hardware for these.. i have been keeping my eye out for a library that would provide cross-vid-card functionality for this but havent found anything yet

#2: Supreme ^_^

#3: -------- I would absolutely LOVE it if we could have an option to specify an upper limit for "per-"scene objects.. say we want to use a 3D hud with less than 500 objects and we want to use a scene with less than 200 objects then another scene with 10,000 super small obejcts like stars or debris.... having the ability to specify on a per-scene basis a maximum in-scene number of obejcts ( i assume at dev time not changable at runtime )

I'd also like to be able to check to see this number in the scene in script at runtime; the BIGGEST ADVANTAGE imho would be that the scene would naturally run faster on the CPU in the player if we specify a small amount for most scenes

:)
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby ucm » 19 Nov 2012, 11:14

im looking forward to that physics tutorial and also i was woondering if you could put in an option to have the physics use a cpu or gpgpu core as a dedicated "primary" physics core thereby simulating a one or two core PPU....

^-- also for the advanced physics features i've discussed with you via email; i would looove to have an "advanced" physics system setup that would require a specific card like nVidia ( 4 way SLI ) or if you could work it in better, a radeon ( 4 way crossfirex )... obviously this would provide massive power but need a very costly computer so would be used most for cutscene rendering and films i imagine ( if only you knew how far i can take my imagination with cinematography :ugeek: )
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby StarFire » 19 Nov 2012, 11:33

We are going to update the physics system in the next few weeks, this should keep us busy until the holidays. The aim is to have fast integrated physics collisions system, character controller in both first and third person and a vehicle system for our shiny new road system. If we can get the gpu side running that would be great :ugeek:
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Return to Misc