Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

A little recap.

A little recap.

Postby Ellement » 05 Nov 2012, 14:59

So here is what i found so far.

Importing assets: no crash recorded so far.
Building a level from default static meshes: no problem detected

Lightning: yep it does crash a lot randomly.

Particle editor: yes crashes randomly

renderer: needs to be really rewriten: not only defered , but forward as well. weird shadow artefacts , i can see shadow underground :0) funny.

So main areas causing problems are Lightning , particles. I have not tested the material editor much yet. will do today
Ellement
Skyline Padawan

Re: A little recap.

Postby StarFire » 05 Nov 2012, 16:44

Thank you for your information.

Lighting: We will be writing a new base shader to include point and spot lights with attenuation range.

Particle Editor: Needs a reworking to make it more user friendly and prevent any crashes.

Renderer: This we are looking into. We are intending outputting to mobile platforms and this will determine how we approach the new renderer.

Shadows: Know issue, again this need revisited, but to get the best out of the current system it is recommended to reduce the lights shadow distance to as low as you can. This will create a more detailed shadow due to the shadow map not being stretched across a huge area. The terrain shader is going to be rewritten and this will stop the underground shadow, this is caused due to the terrain not using the correct depth buffer.

Material Editor: We have a brand new, rebuilt from the ground up Material editor ready for the next Skyline release ; )
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Misc