Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

BSP/Solid/Static Mesh alternative?

BSP/Solid/Static Mesh alternative?

Postby Talidan » 03 Oct 2013, 05:01

I was not sure where to put this, so I guess "Misc" would be the most appropriate.

So, many engines have mapping features like BSPs, solids, etc, which I doubt I really need to explain here as they're incredibly basic, but they're generally regarded as old and outdated, useful for really just blocking in your levels.

These days, its not recommended using them for level building, but to instead create models with modular variations to create levels using minimal resources. That makes sense, considering how much you can get out of the method, but it's far more tedious and requires more real-life resources (people, money, etc), as all the required skills for development with time constraints need to be spread across a few people. Dedicated modelers, people who can texture, build the level, etc. Some people can do all three really well, but it's more likely you'll end up with at least one of each.

Though the method is outdated, Constructive Solid Geometry (which I believe is the more broad term, though I could be wrong) makes it so easy to build a level without usually needing to make separate models, just textures. Skyline has the basic geometry in its library for basic shapes, which can be used similarly to BSPs or Solids, but it's not as flexible as CSG features tend to be, and that still would not solve all the issues that come with using them.

So, what I'm asking is if it would be possible to incorporate basic modeling features into Skyline to achieve a middle between CSGs and static meshes created externally? I don't know at all how complicated it would be to do that, or if it's something already somewhat implemented, but I think it would definitely set Skyline apart from most engines by eliminating the need to model outside of the engine for static meshes, except for complicated pieces.

I might be just talking crazy here, though. Ignore me if I am.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Re: BSP/Solid/Static Mesh alternative?

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 03 Oct 2013, 11:14

I would think the ability to create some very basic shapes inside the engine would be great for roughing out things like bridges or custom shaped buildings, walls etc.
As well as adding this into the engine another issue would also be exporting them back into your modelling program.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Oct 2013, 14:13

yes, we have already wanted to include whiteboxing like UDK or torque 3D, as it really helps to build an idea for an environment, or quickly create a level design, and as iamcheesontoast mentioned, you would need to be able to export to a modelling application, so you could build the environment for real, then export back and just replace the assets and materials.

As for a time frame, its one of those things which changes depending on when the job will be started and what jobs are already underway.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 15:08

We have also got in the pipeline a level generating toolset which will be a more advanced version of the white boxing. This will quickly and easily enable you to create fully textured static structures, both interior and exterior for your project from the provided building components/blocks or your own imported blocks. A block can be anything such as: walls, floors, doors, columns or complete grid sections. We envisage this tool for generating complete meshes ready for game use.

We won't be working with Binary Space Partitioning as we are currently working to integrate the Umbra Occlusion culling system use by many top AAA titles. This will occlude any meshes behind other objects allowing for huge worlds to run with fast frame rates both inside and outside ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Misc