Post anything here that does not fall into the other topic categories.

Chase camera goes crazy

Chase camera goes crazy

Postby JontomXire » 28 Mar 2015, 13:41

So I just installed Skyline, and I'm looking at the RPG game template since it is the closest to what I want to do. I have a little play.

Problems:

It took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to change the camera mode since there are about 4 character based cameras. It might be a good idea to remove all the spare ones.

The "Adventure" camera mode is useless. If you turn 90 degrees and move forward, the character more or less just walks out of your field of view. You cannot see where it is going and it is very likely to walk off the edge of a platform or into a monster's view range. The camera will not change position until the character moves.

I switched to "chase" mode. The camera was a little close so I changed the position settings to "0 4 -2". Now when you start the game, the camera swoops into the character, rotates around until it is behind here, then moves back, and back, and bac until the scenery obscures the character.

You can't look up or down. I'm sure this is achievable, but I cannot find where the controls are to make the character look up or down, or how to add them, or how to set up any sort of control between the mouse/keys and the camera. In fact while mouse input is clearly working, and I can see where the keybinds are set up, I cannot see where mouse control is defined.

The character weapon damage doesn't seem to work. I walked up to one of the mobs, facing it, and clicked the mouse to make the character swing the sword until it collapsed and died from enemy damage. The mob's health bar was still on full.

I couldn't find out how to close the current scene to reload cleanly. After my third time of loading a scene on top of an already open scene, Skyline crashed. How do I get/submit a core dump?
JontomXire
Skyline Novice

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Network guru

Re: Chase camera goes crazy

Postby TattieBoJangle » 28 Mar 2015, 21:16

Hi JontomXire to look up and down make sure Use Mouse Y is checked this will enable you to look up and down, i also done a tut on importing a character and the setting if you are interested in watching that :)

I would also recommend messing about in a blank map to start with as i have also noticed the test maps aren't the best to learn from.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Chase camera goes crazy

Postby SolarPortal » 30 Mar 2015, 16:07

Hi JontomXire and Welcome to the Forums :D

Thank you for the feedback from your experience with the camera entity.
From what i think you are talking about, you are talking about the blue camera entities in the scene.
These are the latest camera enhancements and may require a few tweaks to become perfect for most game situations.

It took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to change the camera mode since there are about 4 character based cameras. It might be a good idea to remove all the spare ones.

yes, i agree. i can see how this may come across as confusing.

The "Adventure" camera mode is useless. If you turn 90 degrees and move forward, the character more or less just walks out of your field of view. You cannot see where it is going and it is very likely to walk off the edge of a platform or into a monster's view range. The camera will not change position until the character moves.

This mode works very well for games such as zelda, mario etc..
It does require you to press the set defaults before editing it and does need a focus point to look at such as a character.
In this mode when used correctly, it will always point towards to target object and works on a spherical constraint.
This means if you are inside the sphere, then the camera will not move when tracking, if you are outside of the sphere, then the camera will chase you and track you at the same time.

I switched to "chase" mode. The camera was a little close so I changed the position settings to "0 4 -2". Now when you start the game, the camera swoops into the character, rotates around until it is behind here, then moves back, and back, and bac until the scenery obscures the character.

I have not yet seen this effect. Again, did you reset the settings for the camera mode. The largest stiffness value shouldn't go about 0.1 most of the time.

These camera modes are essentially pre-programmed versions that you may find useful for a quicker get started.
If you want more control over the camera entity, then set it to Fixed and add a microscript or external script and program it in the way you require it to be.

You can't look up or down. I'm sure this is achievable, but I cannot find where the controls are to make the character look up or down, or how to add them, or how to set up any sort of control between the mouse/keys and the camera. In fact while mouse input is clearly working, and I can see where the keybinds are set up, I cannot see where mouse control is defined.

Some of the camera modes cannot be controlled in the way. But again, you could script it further.

The character weapon damage doesn't seem to work. I walked up to one of the mobs, facing it, and clicked the mouse to make the character swing the sword until it collapsed and died from enemy damage. The mob's health bar was still on full.

Have you tried with a single enemy only. As the last enemy to enter the characters radius is the one to be targeted. It has yet to be improved to target the enemy the raycast hits.

I couldn't find out how to close the current scene to reload cleanly. After my third time of loading a scene on top of an already open scene, Skyline crashed.

Going to "File > New Scene" will empty the current one and reset all the settings to the default scene.
You can change the default scene you use by overwriting the "Default.xSkyScene" in the "Data/Scenes/" folder of the SkylineSDK
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Misc