This is where you can introduce yourself to the community, introduce your projects and what you plan to do with skyline. You can share as much or as little info as you wish.

New Here

Re: New Here

Postby SolarPortal » 15 Jul 2015, 11:01

If you end up with stretched animations, this is usually because you have extracted an animation after scaling without saving the mesh first. The skeleton rig is probably 10x the size of the mesh file to cause strange stretches on animations.

Maybe try to:
  • remove all broken files
  • restart skyline
  • import FBX to convert to mesh
  • import the mesh into the mesh editor and scale down by 0.1.
  • Save the mesh and reload it in the scene
  • (optional) reimport the mesh
  • Begin extraction of animations using the timeline.
  • Save your mesh
  • Reload the scene entity in the scene and they should be working and usable. :)

Tattie's video is very accurate when it comes to extraction :)

The free version is an older code version than the commercial indie versions, but extraction in the mesh editor was created
pre-V0.9.0 but may have had fixes over the versions. Another few weeks and we will be updating all full exe files for skyline to the latest version which we consider very stable from the first version of V0.9.0

Keep it up and you will get there. :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 15 Jul 2015, 17:07

If you end up with stretched animations, this is usually because you have extracted an animation after scaling without saving the mesh first. The skeleton rig is probably 10x the size of the mesh file to cause strange stretches on animations.

Thanks for the advice... I'm sure that this is the problem...The part I do not understand is how the extracted walk animation became the combined and vice versa...I will learn all the little quirks of the engine...

So far, I find the engine itself to be very capable...The Development team has done a great job...I am hoping that you keep going with it...One of my main wants in a game engine is stability....I would rather have stability over new fancy features...I like to make games, not just pretty pictures...I have a camera for that...I am happy to see how nice and helpful the community is here...I visit a lot of forums, but rarely post in them because of the knuckleheads in their community...Thanks
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby TattieBoJangle » 15 Jul 2015, 17:41

One of my main wants in a game engine is stability

I agree as there is a few things that will make the engine crash this is mostly due to work in progress, not sure what version you are using but there were 5 updates so the commercial version is more stable but i agree after this update they could look at knocking the little bugs out ;)

I am happy to see how nice and helpful the community is here

lol i remember the first time i posted a question in leadwerks and instantly got bashed for no other reason other than i was the new guy.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: Great creative

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 15 Jul 2015, 17:55

lol i remember the first time i posted a question in Leadwerks and instantly got bashed for no other reason other than i was the new guy.

This is one of the reasons I am here...There are a few good people at Leadwerks, but they are few and far between...The main reason I left is because of some things that the developer did and said that I disagree with...The engine is good for pictures, but not for games...
Not trying to start a game engine discussion, they all have their good and bad points...Just looking for a place to call home....
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 15 Jul 2015, 19:23

Just looking for a place to call home....

This is exactly what we are wanting out of the community and we won't tolerate any bashing. Constructive criticism is sometimes good if done in the right way but we want to have a peaceful and creative community that are willing to help others even on the smallest of problems.

A few of the things i see on forums is that a new user comes in looking for a get go or support for a common topic and people tend to say, use google or search the forum and can be very rude. Instead why can't someone post a link to a topic and be nice. Then there are those that have to say something just to get their name in the thread.

lol i remember the first time i posted a question in leadwerks and instantly got bashed for no other reason other than i was the new guy.

yes exactly.

So far, I find the engine itself to be very capable...The Development team has done a great job...I am hoping that you keep going with it

Thank you, we are a bit stubborn and won't let anything stop us from developing skyline ;)

One of my main wants in a game engine is stability

If you find any bugs, let us know and we will see what we can do. If it is a simple task to implement, then it will most likely go in straight away but some tasks have too be worked in around the larger tasks we are currently tackling at that time.
Skyline has become very stable over the years as users such as @Shando and @antON will tell you. We will continue to develop skyline to become an easy game making toolset that can make unique games. Just bear in mind that we only became public Beta at the start of this year and were in private testing before that :)

We look forward to seeing your projects and games you make on skyline.

Note: We are currently rewriting the material system and creating an easy asset import pipeline for the engine as the current one (...however it is still quick...) is now becoming instant to have usable assets :)

I hope that whatever your decision over skyline is that you will stay and hopefully find a home here in our community and forums :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 15 Jul 2015, 19:57

Thanks...I should be able to buy next week...This has been a hectic week...I am looking forward to being here and spreading the word about your engine...I just happened to find it by accident while searching for something else....
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby Shando » 16 Jul 2015, 02:06

Skyline has become very stable over the years
@SP - I'm glad you used the word "very", as it has always been pretty stable :mrgreen:

@creativeocclusion - Welcome to the Skyline Journey!!!!!

During the time I've been using Skyline, I've found the Devs to be the most helpful of ANY engine I've used in the past, and that does include some of the bigger boys out there!! I also rate this community as one of the most helpful as well ;)

I used to use ShiVa as my main engine, but gave up when v2 didn't look like it was ever going to come out (and StoneTrip going bust didn't help!). I also tried Unity, but hated the forum and the fact that you had to pay extra for each little addon that should be automatically included in any decent engine!! I actually possess over 10 different 3D game engines that I have acquired over the years, but I would still rate Skyline as one of the easiest to get to grips with. It just need multi-player now :twisted:
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter

Postby StarFire » 16 Jul 2015, 15:27

A big welcome to @creativeocclusion, hope you have a fun time with Skyline and I look forward to seeing what your creative powers with Skyline can produce. :D

@Shando, I here you m8 you have been very patient over the networking ( ty :roll: ), I just have a few more jobs to complete then we will open up the networking to Lua and add it to the player mechanics. ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 16 Jul 2015, 23:00

Thanks StarFire...I am glad to be here...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself