This is where you can introduce yourself to the community, introduce your projects and what you plan to do with skyline. You can share as much or as little info as you wish.

Hey there!

Hey there!

Postby Ryder » 22 Feb 2016, 07:44

Howdy all!

I tell you... this is an exciting time for me. Lemmie 'splian.

for the past few *years*, I have scoured "the internets" looking for the perfect game engine for me. I know what it looks like. I know what it does... but sadly, I couldn't find it. I tried (and bought) everything I could get my hands on...

How's this for a partial list:

3D Rad
Blender
Unity
BigWorld
Corona
GameMaker
GameSalad
Havok Vision
Godot
Hero Engine
Leadwerks
LibGDX
Loom
Love
Marmalade
Project Anarchy
ShiVA
Stingray
Solpeo
Source 2
Turbulenz
Torque
V-Play
Copper Cube
Essentiel
GameGuru
Genesys 3D
Cafu
Maker3D
Dream Up
DX Studio
GameStudio
Minko
NeoAxis
Project Spark
Spark Inspirations

... and more.

And yes, I have tried almost all of them. And they all have failings of one form or another.

First, I don't mind paying for my tools. They are VERY hard to make, and those that make them deserve to be paid... especially if they do a good job.

But the failings are many... too dated (bad rendering engines), Development stopped (unsupported), far too complex (intended for the AAA market), missing features, too code centric (I don't like to code everything... WYSIWYG is my thing), not released yet (I have high hopes for Spark Inspirations for example... still waiting on the beta)...

Some are close. Neo Axis is... but for the dependence on C-programming... sigh... I'm not going there.

GameGuru is decent... kinda. It's not very powerful, and the rendering is sub par. It's too tailored to the FPS market...

And somehow I missed SkyLine. No idea how... because to me it seems perfect. Doing all the right things. Sweeet renderings, nice workflows... asset management improvements are looking good, as is the SkyGraph editor.

All I can say is that I'm way too excited about this, as I have a game in mind... my dream game, that I've been working on (in my head) for years now... and SkyLine is the tool to produce it.

I had another game, Rocket Factory... that predated Kerbal Space Program by YEARS... and is essentially the same... but I couldn't find the tool that I could use to make it happen (I tried Unity... but it was too complex for me... hey, I have a day job, ok? :)

If the SkyLine devs can keep this simple yet flexible (and deep when advanced users need to go there)... this is going to be the premiere Indie/hobbyist platform... sure of it.

Anyway, I'm thinking we need to promote this tool, guys! The best way, of course, is to produce good, playable games... but in the meantime, I plan to plug the heck out of SkyLine... and hopefully I can produce some YouTube vids as tutorials that showcase and teach... but as I'm just starting out, this won't happen for a bit.

Looking forward to making the acquaintance of the entire userbase, and hopefully we can do something amazing together, and help push SkyLine into the Spotlight.

Also... if you're using the free version... awesome... but if you like it, please consider saving your pennies and upgrading to the paid version. Anything that helps the devs, helps you in the end.

-Ryder-
"A scale model is never done. You just stop working on it."
Ryder
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Animator
Skill: Great creative

Re: Hey there!

Postby Shando » 22 Feb 2016, 08:30

Hey buddy,

Welcome to the Forums and the Skyline journey ;)

I was pretty much like you, tried all engines I could lay my hands on and finally stumbled upon Skyline :D That was almost 3 years ago and believe me things have changed so much in that time, well, except for one thing, the hard work of the Devs ( I doubt they could work harder and still have time to answer all our pesky questions :mrgreen: )

I'm waiting patiently (sort of) for the next update with the new Rendering Engine and the updated FPS System, which should be along in the not too distant future!

Who knows, in the next 3 years I might have actually managed to develop a semblance of a game 8-)

Shando
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby lordalmighty1 » 22 Feb 2016, 10:07

hi ya m8, having been a user/ funder for "gameguru" before it was even called that I know exactly what you mean about it, its got some good points for easy using, but that's about it.. welcome to skyline game engine I hope you find it more useful and everything :). its still a in development engine but has lots going for it much more than reloaded/gameguru has imo and can do many types of games.

I recommend checking out past blog posts on skyline blog to see some of the stuff worked on and such. again welcome to the forums here.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 22 Feb 2016, 13:27

yes, Welcome to the forums Ryder :D

Before we decided to make skyline we were using all the industry engines from indie to pro and found pretty much the same things as everyone else in the market that they were either too niche, too AAA or were just poor. DxStudio and Torque3D is where we stayed for a while before trying the first versions of UDK and deciding that we didn't like any of the licensing on the engines.

We even tried the larger expensive engines such as Gamebryo Lightspeed and Vision Engine before all the industries licensing went silly as we tried to get licensed for some of our game IP's.

Skyline's ethos is too be as simple as possible to work with and keep clicks and drags to a minimum but get the maximum work done to save time and money when developing games. Of course, our main market is the hobbyist's and indies, but the engine has all the features of a pro engine minus the odd thing hence we are in beta. We are only a 2 man dev team so it takes some time to do certain features but we do try to get everything in for all.
Atm though is a bit tricky as i am working on the new renderer and StarFire is working on the mechanics which means we are getting less work done on the version you are currently running which means slow updates atm.

When we are both working on the engine that users get, we get releases down to a 2-3 week turnaround and instant patches for broken bits. But as i said, it is a tad slow atm due to 2 different skyline projects being in dev. :)

Anyway, welcome and we all look forward to seeing some screenies :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist

Postby StarFire » 22 Feb 2016, 17:11

Welcome to the Skyline Journey :D

And what a journey it is, as many of our seasoned users well know. Skyline has changed lot over the years and some huge changes are on the horizon. This will pave the way for Skylines future.

Thank you for your glowing support, we do need to get the word out there ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 22 Feb 2016, 18:15

Welcome to SkyLine Ryder....I believe that you will enjoy this engine...Although still in beta, it is still better than a lot of engines out there....
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby Ryder » 23 Feb 2016, 04:51

lordalmighty1 wrote:hi ya m8, having been a user/ funder for "gameguru" before it was even called that I know exactly what you mean about it, its got some good points for easy using, but that's about it.. welcome to skyline game engine I hope you find it more useful and everything :). its still a in development engine but has lots going for it much more than reloaded/gameguru has imo and can do many types of games.

I recommend checking out past blog posts on skyline blog to see some of the stuff worked on and such. again welcome to the forums here.

Thanks for the suggestion...!

And yes... I had FPS Creator as well, and got on board with GameGuru. I like how it has texture baking built right into it. That's a wonderful feature. Every engine should do this... but sadly... it's just not as good as it should be.
"A scale model is never done. You just stop working on it."
Ryder
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Animator

Return to Introduce Yourself