This is where you can introduce yourself to the community, introduce your projects and what you plan to do with skyline. You can share as much or as little info as you wish.

Future user, maybe

Future user, maybe

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 00:33

Hi there!

I didn't want to spam just everywhere on this forum searching for answers, so I guess this is the right spot :D

First of all, I just download free version of SkyLine and there is a lot of things that I need to know before considering of buying it.

Until now I have two engines in my collection: S2Engine - powerful visuals, but buggy and optimized as sh*t, and Leadwerks - nicely optimized and has LUA scripting, but lacks with features.

I found Skyline as something in between, has Lua, nice visuals and features. But...

- Free version is 32 bit and ok, I guess it's not that fast as payed 64bit version. But is it buggy? This demo crashes a lot on my computer (i7, 12gigs of ram, Nvidia Quadro 1000m). Sometimes clicking the menu buttons would crash the program. Viewport is flickering white time to time.
- There is an option at the beginning to choose DX9, DX11 or OGL (in free version only DX9 is available?) Is there any difference in performance/visuals between them?
- I couldn't find Cut-scene editor, does exist something like that in Skyline?
- I notice recently that you add pbr materials support, are you gonna support Substance materials?
- Is visual scripting feature still under development?
- Ragdolls, ragdolls, do you have them?
- Is there any finished/published game made in Skyline?
- STEAM store!? When?! :D

Sorry for so many questions, but for me they are very important.
Cheers!
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Skill: Animator
Skill: Great creative
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Scripter

Re: Future user, maybe

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Aug 2016, 00:40

Hi and Welcome to the forums psychoanima :D That certainly is a lot of questions lol :P

Very interesting questions and errors, however we shall respond tomorrow as its late here atm.
Thanks for you patience :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 00:50

SolarPortal wrote:Hi and Welcome to the forums psychoanima :D That certainly is a lot of questions lol :P

Very interesting questions and errors, however we shall respond tomorrow as its late here atm.
Thanks for you patience :D

Haha, no problem, here is 1:50am, no idea why I am still awake xD + working tomorrow morning

Good night!
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Postby lordalmighty1 » 25 Aug 2016, 09:23

hi, and welcome to skyline.

I purchased s2 hd engine on steam when it was first released there.. looked amazing ran like shit on my computer with its demo scene.. refunded that asap lol.
I own leadwerks also on steam not my cup of tea tbh either..

skyline however is alittle buggy from time to time on the paid version but gen2 is coming out soon with better visuals and other stuff I will leave solarportal to mention. there is a great amount of tutorials that limits the amount of problems you will have with the skyline engine though made by tattiebojangles. very helpful series indeed..
there will be a steam release for skyline at some point in the future if greenlight passes which I'm sure it will.. date unknown by me sorry.

I can say that skyline is 1 of the better engines in my collection. I prefer it over unity and leadwerks which both always end up making me not use them for 1 reason or another..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 12:17

lordalmighty1 wrote:hi, and welcome to skyline.

I purchased s2 hd engine on steam when it was first released there.. looked amazing ran like shit on my computer with its demo scene.. refunded that asap lol.
I own leadwerks also on steam not my cup of tea tbh either..

skyline however is alittle buggy from time to time on the paid version but gen2 is coming out soon with better visuals and other stuff I will leave solarportal to mention. there is a great amount of tutorials that limits the amount of problems you will have with the skyline engine though made by tattiebojangles. very helpful series indeed..
there will be a steam release for skyline at some point in the future if greenlight passes which I'm sure it will.. date unknown by me sorry.

I can say that skyline is 1 of the better engines in my collection. I prefer it over unity and leadwerks which both always end up making me not use them for 1 reason or another..

Hello and thank you!

yesss, S2 is such a disappointment, I was stupid enough to waste more than 2 hours in testing/tweaking (I couldn't believe that is that bad) so I lost opportunity to refund it xD

I am coming from 2D game dev world, so Game Maker Studio is sort of my expertise and I would like to try myself in 3D game dev. Unity and Unreal are too powerful for my taste, 80% of features that I will never use and hanging there just to confuse me, plus they are using C#/C++ and I am scripting type of guy. And Unity is very pricey for my pocket as well.
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Postby lordalmighty1 » 25 Aug 2016, 12:28

the pro version of unity yes way to much cash needed.. and something about how it works and is used in editor makes me not like it at all lol. spent a few days doing their tutorial games and could not get into it at all. lmao.

skyline though I enjoy using and playing around with though, its just more comfortable a engine layout and setup I guess you might say in comparison to unity.. sure it has a learning curve but what doesn't when game making lol.

back to s2 hd, I was getting 19 fps from the demo scene he made with those few models and zombies.. where as skyline offers 100's of fps for a similar scene.
if using the skyline engine its locked to 60fps by default but you can unlock it in the bottom right "scene" tab as well as tweak many other options for stuff down there also.

I think you should watch the tutorials by tattiebojangle they are great headsup for doing things in the preferred order, and will help you learn some of the features of the engine be it free version or paid version..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 13:24

I will check tutorials while waiting for SolarPortal answers, tnx!
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Aug 2016, 16:23

Hi again :)

Thank you la1 for the very valuable input :) It helps to see things from a users perspective :)

Ok, on to these questions then :

1) Our 32bit is not that much slower than the 64bit as all the code is optimised to be as fast as possible and we are continually tweaking the core to make it faster :) Many users have mentioned that the free version is buggy and or crashes often which i want to find the cause of to fix. However, the free version is the full version with a few cutdown features but rendering and core are the same ;)

2) Skyline Game Engine Gen1 is only capable of running in DX9 mode. When loading skyline, its best to press ok on the dx9 screen without editing properties to get the best case situation of running.

3) Currently we do not have a cut scene editor, but do have a full camera system and spline path with built in following for cameras and entities. This could then be started by a "trigger volume" on contact with the player or something. So you can make flythroughs and cutscene bits:

4) For Skyline Gen2, We do have plans for attempting to get licensed for Substance materials but last time we tried it was very expensive. Nowadays it might be more accessible.
Our PBR system has both workflows for specular and metallic with good shadows also.
Gen2 is currently under development and will support OpenGL3+ and DX11.

5) Visual Scripting is fully usable, but their may be a module or 2 missing which we can implement and then release in an auto update.

6) We do support ragdolls although they are not fully tested and may need a couple of feature improvements to make them usable in games. But we can create the physics bodies which do move the character in a ragdoll fashion.

7) There is one game being developed by user CreativeOcclusion called Tunnels of Tarkus. Check it out here: http://www.forum.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1383&hilit=Tunnels+of&start=125

8) Steam is being worked on in the background and i hope we will be greenlighting soon. As for how long it takes, well we hope about 3 months or less based on what we have seen with other games/tech. Sometimes though it can be a lot longer.

I hope these answers help you :D

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 16:44

Thank you for all the answers! :D

So, pbr and DX11 are reserved for Gen2. Is there any release date and is going to be free upgrade for Gen1 users or not?
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 25 Aug 2016, 16:50

Yes, gen2 will be a free update to purchased versions of Gen1.

Just for information, we do have a yearly update which is only £20 but this doesnt come into play until we exit Beta and release v1.0 skyline. Up til then all auto updates are free in Beta for purchased users :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby psychoanima » 25 Aug 2016, 17:02

That extra 20 is nothing if it will bring fresh updates :) Can't wait to see gen2 ready to play!
psychoanima
Skyline Novice

Return to Introduce Yourself