This is where you can introduce yourself to the community, introduce your projects and what you plan to do with skyline. You can share as much or as little info as you wish.

Hello All from Olander!

Hello All from Olander!

Postby Olander » 29 Jan 2017, 18:17

Olander here saying hello to you all.

I am endeavoring to make a visual book of my written book stories in the World of Anvarath.

Much of the pre-work and design testing/learning was done in the Aurora (NWN1) and Electron (NWN2) toolsets by Bioware then Obsidian respectively. I made a comprehensive toolset integrated addon that I called Olander's Realistic System (ORS) that I gave out to other hobbyists/developers to run their own 'Hard Core' Persistent Server....it was voted Hall of Fame by peers.
Link => https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/orsv51-olanders-realistic-systems

For about 4 years now I have been trying to remake the NWN1 game engine as a framework overlay in a base engine. Much success has happened in Unity v4.4 Pro through v5.4 Pro...v5.5 Pro is giving me fits currently. I have been also with some success making this in UE4.7 to v4.13...but the project corrupted and requiring a rebuild in v4.14.

Unity is just bug riddled and their new subscription methods are driving me away from this engine quickly. Converting NWScript (C Code-like) to C# has been both fun and interesting. Most every very useful function in the NWN Lexicon has been reverse engineered and used with success in the Unity game engine. A great experience.

UE4 is a very well polished engine. The features work and until recently project updates rarely break anything. UE4 Visual Scripting is solid and easy enough to translate my C/C# code to UE4 Language. UE4 C++ is different and a really large learning curve in my opinion. Doing something like Bioware did in NWN1...GetNearestObjectByTag or SetLocalObject are just crazy strange and far too difficult to do. Object communication is just plain crazy to get set up....especially in Visual Scripting.

I also gave Esenthel a solid go and although nice it is pure C++ and doing things in it is just plain strange. It was lacking some really decent features and the tutorials are so basic that it just a get started type of thing. Just kept hitting wall after wall.

So yesterday I finally downloaded Skyline (new about this for some time but was pressing on in Unity). I spent the entire day dragging and clicking. No crashes and I have to say...the statement about being comfortable and easy to use is very much true. Skyline reminds me A LOT of NWN2 (Electron Engine) but with vast improvements. I do not mind LUA at all since doing some modding in LoTRO so I am doing some learning and preparing to start figuring out what functions need to be made in Skyline for game play. So far Skyline has been a real breath of fresh air. So much so that I bought the commercial license today.

I look forward to making this journey in a really nice engine.

Cheers and Regards,
Olander
www.standsurestudio.com
Olander
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Level Designer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Audio
Skill: Great creative

Re: Hello All from Olander!

Postby SolarPortal » 29 Jan 2017, 18:52

Hello and welcome to the Skyline Forums :)

That is very interesting to hear and thank you for your support. We hope you enjoy using skyline :)

Looking at the link you sent, you might find the editor plugin system useful as you can use qt to design your layouts and UI for editor side stuff and program it inside skyline using lua. In the editor, look at the "main menu bar > Plugins".

Skyline is in beta and can crash when exploring deeper into more advanced featuresets, but we are happy to respond and fix all the bugs we can that you report. If features are required, then depending on how much time they need to be integrated, we then plan it into our schedule. So if a simple feature is needed, then they make it in fairly quickly.

We are also in the middle of an engine upgrade where we are sporting new visuals with better lighting and performance called Gen2 which entered its alpha phase in sept/oct 2016 and has come on leaps and bounds over the past few months. Hopefully Gen2 will be replacing Gen1 bringing constant updates back to normal development and also has many feature improvements over Gen1 bringing scene editing up to a higher standard and a new material system. Because we are developing Gen2, we have not had time to update Gen1 as all efforts are put into Gen2.

All commercial users are allowed access to the private alpha, so if you want to join in then please pm me and i can sort the access out :) Please note: that Gen2 is in an alpha status because certain features are missing such as terrain, vegetation, roads, ribbon trails, chain billboards and are in the process of being made for the full conversion. It also means that the engine may work unexpectedly and crash every so often or have a bug in a feature although the main working pipeline is far more stable than Gen1 in certain/most completed areas. Gen2 is also getting a visual editing GUI over the before html/css scripting.

Currently, we do not support a C++ SDK but as mentioned before, we are happy to integrate features or lua functions if needed.

We look forward to your development of your game and look forward to seeing some updates of your progress.
Again, thank you for your support :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby lordalmighty1 » 29 Jan 2017, 19:27

hey olander.

I used to make lvls for nwn1 with the aurora engine toolset back in the day... what fun it was its still by far the best toolset I used in a game for making lvls with for the said games. nwn2 toolset didn't work for me though so have no idea about it back when I got the game on disk.. sadly :(

welcome to skyline and hope you enjoy and get your ideas out there with this engine :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby TattieBoJangle » 29 Jan 2017, 19:58

Welcome Olander :D
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby epsilonion » 30 Jan 2017, 00:37

welcome to the community,

I think that you will find that we are a friendly bunch on here and not like others that can get hostile at times.

Along side to the development mentioned above the documentation is getting overhauled and new guides, manuals, examples and video tutorials been made.

These documents are far from been complete but they are coming on steadily, these new documents are based on the 2nd generation of skyline as I will be the standard version later on this year but the work flow and most of the information is relevant to both versions.

The visual mechanics guide is getting started this week and after that the level developers guide will resume.

For a start if you get stuck I would check out tatties video tutorials and ask in the forum or on the discord communication server.

Happy coding and I hope you enjoy your time in the community
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager

Postby Olander » 30 Jan 2017, 00:57

Thanks all.

@lordalmighty1
NWN2 had improved the coding over NWN1 but the landscaping was converted from 10m tiles to a more modern type 'Painting' environment....and that part was incredibly buggy and memory hungry. NWN1 in my opinion was the better of the two but the graphics of NWN2 kept me doing the ORSv6 in it.

@SolarPortal, @epsilonion
Indeed I know about the Gen2 version coming. :) As for making plugins for Skyline I typically do not do this sort of thing even though I could. I really enjoy (and sometimes not enjoy...haha!) molding the functions/scripts to what the game engine has. I did this to a very deep extent in NWN1/2, Unity 4/5, and Skyrim modding. This is the fun and challenge. If there is something during this function and testing process that does not make sense I shall certainly use the forums here to ask decent questions....perhaps missing features are easy enough to add to the engine...I look forward to working with all of you.

Thanks for the Welcome!
Cheers
O
Olander
Skyline Apprentice

Postby Shando » 30 Jan 2017, 02:41

Hey buddy,

Welcome to Skyline.

As epsilonion says, we are a very friendly community (though some of us - i.e. me :oops: - should be a bit more active).

If you do decide to check out the plugins and need help, give me a shout as I have made a few and can probably point you in the right direction at least.

Shando
Ryzen 7 4800H 16GB GTX1650 Win 11 64
Love, Hope, Strength http://www.lovehopestrength.co.uk
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 30 Jan 2017, 18:19

Hi Olander and welcome to the Skyline journey :)

If you need any Lua, module or access to core commands please dont hesitate in giving us a shout. =)

Look forward to seeing what you can create in Skyline ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 01 Feb 2017, 00:23

olander... wow lancelot from excaliber movie as a avatar that's awesome... my favorite film of all time lol..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby Olander » 01 Feb 2017, 05:20

Thanks for noticing. One of my favorites of all time as well.

Fun fact! I dressed up in a suit of armor much like Lancelot's and walked around several renaissance festivals here in the US...had a two handed sword on my back though. In the armor I actually look like the picture very closely.
Olander
Skyline Apprentice

Postby lordalmighty1 » 04 Feb 2017, 04:49

Olander wrote:Thanks for noticing. One of my favorites of all time as well.

Fun fact! I dressed up in a suit of armor much like Lancelot's and walked around several renaissance festivals here in the US...had a two handed sword on my back though. In the armor I actually look like the picture very closely.

oh right that's cool :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Return to Introduce Yourself