Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

Postby epsilonion » 30 Jul 2015, 20:11

I'm not bothering yet, think I will let others find the bugs and hang-ups before I commit, don't forget its Microsoft release a new windows spend the next 5 years getting it out of beta stage.. lol by that time they release another..
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Postby SolarPortal » 31 Jul 2015, 20:28

Lol Liam you are probs right. StarFire has upgraded to windows 10 yesterday. Then today it broke and kept going into recovery mode and causing faults with her hard drive, so we have got both Dev machines on the floor trying to save some precious photos and files. Not sure if it was windows but things were fine before. Luckily most is backed up apart from some more recent stuff.

It's a shame, but we normally hold off upgrading for a couple of years, but we had to for skyline lol :P
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby StarFire » 01 Aug 2015, 10:57

[Edit] haha just noticed there was a page 2 of the topic oh well posted anyway!

Just got up and running with win 10. What a nightmare! corrupted my win partition and made out that my drive was failing. Panicked to save years of photos and my music, managed to get the drive working in SP's pc and got back up Phew! :shock:

So far so good the drive is back in and looks like its behaving :? oh and Kaspersky failed and reading further this may have been the cause, new download of K and all seems to be well, famous last words! lol :roll:

May be we can get back to work after all this mayhem lol!

So should you upgrade, hmmm, back up and pray!
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby AuShadow » 01 Aug 2015, 12:45

lol i done the upgrade and that went smooth as silk,,,, next i setup a bootable usb to do a clean install, and that,,, that was a nightmare, took me 4 hours just to get it to start installing properly, even had to clean and format my drives with command prompt prior to the windows installer agreeing with me, oh and a note to those who will do the clean install, backup first and do the upgrade first, that is very important, as that generates your windows 10 key
AuShadow
Skyline Ensen

Postby SolarPortal » 01 Aug 2015, 13:14

oh, that sounds reassuring to do a clean install lol :P

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby AuShadow » 01 Aug 2015, 13:21

bonus with the clean install but, windows remembers your computer, even with fully wiped drives, i skipped the enter product key parts and once done it connected to the net and activated, I wrote down my key before clean install just in case but yeah didn't need it
AuShadow
Skyline Ensen

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 03 Aug 2015, 00:24

I am updating laptop to 10 today it seems to have stopped on a empty screen...been there for 30 minutes or so...has anyone else experienced this during the upgrade?...It was in the configuring settings part...

***It finally just went to...Restoring previous version of windows...Not good for me...I wanted it to go smooth for the wife....
Thanks, CreativeOcclusion
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Aug 2015, 07:56

i do get the occasional empty black screens but they usually kick off after a couple of minutes or so.
Good luck & hope you get it working again :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 03 Aug 2015, 18:16

i do get the occasional empty black screens but they usually kick off after a couple of minutes or so.
Good luck & hope you get it working again

Thanks...I just decided to stick with 7 for a while...It seems that they (Microsoft) have just released more of an alpha product and called it beta...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 14 Aug 2015, 21:04

@creativeocclusion, there are a few good features of windows 10 that i like compared to 7 and one of them is the search feature, but overall it has been a bumpy ride of the past couple of weeks with many errors with updates and system lockups/ crashes.

on another note we are now stating that skyline is windows 10 compatible and i have posted why in the last release thread :)
http://www.forum.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1146#p6130

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Jan 2016, 09:44

Finally took the dive and installed Windows 10 today...It was not the smoothest upgrade that I've done...Took almost all day trying to get the update to work through windows...Finally gave up and used the media tool and put it on a zip drive...Went real smooth once I figured this out....
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Jan 2016, 12:28

yeah, it is a pain lol :P
Both of us here have had fresh reinstalls of windows to make it work correctly :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Jan 2016, 19:03

Both of us here have had fresh reinstalls of windows to make it work correctly

Mine was not a fresh install, just a upgrade using a zip drive...I am too lazy to reinstall all the programs...It seems that all my programs including skyline are working correctly without a reinstall...I don't think they had the upgrade from usb zip when windows 10 first came out...not sure though...maybe it just wasn't advertised...
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby epsilonion » 04 Jan 2016, 20:13

If you have windows 10 pro and having issues you can put windows into developer mode, this allows you to install any software you want and not what microsoft wants you to install, it has solved all my issues with software and vs C++ runtime things..
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby CreativeOcclusion » 04 Jan 2016, 21:46

Thanks Liam...On this PC I just have the Home edition...This is still good to know...Good to see you back on the forum...There for a minute I thought I was the only one here....
CreativeOcclusion
Skyline Warrior

Postby SolarPortal » 04 Jan 2016, 23:13

Thanks for the input liam :) We are running the Home edition also.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby epsilonion » 07 Jan 2016, 14:21

CreativeOcclusion wrote:I am still debating with myself on upgrading to windows 10...Still using windows 7...I might go for it this weekend...

I found that the upgrade was not any good to many errors and getting software to work was a ball ache, I went and bought windows 10 pro 64-Bit.

After reading up and searching the internet I found that getting the pro version I could put windows in developer mode that allows me to install software without windows blocking everything.

Windows 10 is basically a graphics upgrade for windows 8 and optimized to run faster (something they forgot to do with windows 8 was to optimize it), They have also put some useless features in it unless your touch screen, they tried to make it more secure by ONLY allowing you to install signed software (unless your in developer mode) and its a piss take to get to install any unsigned software that you may want installing (solutions include registry editing, security profile editing and more).

For me, personally, I dont mind it but its causing a lot of problems with the software I use, I am seriously thinking about going back to windows 8.1
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Jan 2016, 14:23

yeah, we missed windows 8 and upgraded from 7, but windows 10 seems to be behaving at the moment. But both dev machines have both required a reinstall due to crap OS and corruption.

@liam, Nice to see your back :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby epsilonion » 07 Jan 2016, 14:27

Still here mate, always check the forums :)
Taking a break and playing more games, not just that family is doing my head in... lol
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 07 Jan 2016, 14:40

Still here mate, always check the forums :)

hehe.. good to know :)

Hope you are enjoying your holidays while your head is not being done in lol :P, we are also playing more games and stocking up on the next set of inspiration for creating some new features and levels. :)
But slowly and surely, i am getting back into the swing of things again.

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Previous

Return to Off-Topic