Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

CPUCORES

CPUCORES

Postby epsilonion » 06 Dec 2016, 15:44

I wonder if this is any good, its good idea but I dont know..

Saying that I have a 8 core processor and well I recon not many get used
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: CPUCORES

Postby epsilonion » 06 Dec 2016, 15:57

epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby TattieBoJangle » 06 Dec 2016, 16:01

not sure about this one :lol: it would be easy to make a program to max out your cpu cores so it looks like its working but to give you more fps would need to see it to believe it. Also when I play a game it can be 6-7 hours at a time so the cpu at max all that time cant be good for it.

Just find it hard to believe :lol: if you get 30fps in a game with the gpu doing most of the work I don't see how cranking the cpu up 100% would do anything its not like the program can unload anything to the cpu as that would need to be done engine side when the game was being made.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby epsilonion » 06 Dec 2016, 16:12

I totally agree with you there..
I know what limits me its my hard drive been maxed (slow drives).
I have got it, might help with some programs I use will wait and see..
Not holding much hope though lol
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 06 Dec 2016, 16:52

I was looking at this on steam lastnight actually... but I don't know if its anything to use or not checked out the forums threads on % gain and wasn't to impressed with some of them.. arc survival evoled boasted an 18% increase in fps which tbh and fiar is nothing special even if you getting 100 fps before program is used you would only gain 18 fps, if you getting something like 15 fps what is the point in 2-3 fps gain lol?!! its nothing wouldn't be a game changer that's for sure
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Dec 2016, 16:58

righto, i might be able to help on this one.

Games can be either CPU bottlenecked or GPU bottlenecked and both are completely different, however having a cpu bottleneck can cause stalls to the GPU and vice versa.

What i mean is that if your code is running 100% on CPU and you decide to upload to the GPU from code, then it can only upload at the speed of what the CPU has free.

On the flipside, if you are GPU bottlenecked and you need to edit vertices or information on the GPU and this has to be done on the CPU, then for the GPU to download the data for the cpu to edit it can also cause a stall.

These stalls you usually see in engine by popping or stuttering of frames.

Gen2 runs the rendering on all threads, as many available which means more entities in the scene can be processed in the renderer faster however, skyline's main update loop is not yet multi threaded so we have to update all in 1 thread, followed by multi threading on the renderer. This will eventually change and we do have plans for it :)

Ideally, we want the 1st core to be a render only core, then have a second core used for AI and another for physics. You get the picture :) But the biggest problem with multithreading is the race condition where 1 thread is dependant on another thread that has not completed yet... :D

Im not sure how another bit of software is going to optimise another application or game allowing you to use the cores more efficiently.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Return to Off-Topic