Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

This is the time to Buy VR

This is the time to Buy VR

Postby epsilonion » 10 Jan 2017, 22:24

This is the time to buy VR.

Razor has a offer on at the moment when you spend £250 you get the Razer Nabu Watch (smart watch worth $150) for free.

This means that you now get the OSVR HDK 1 (v1.4) for the price of a Samsung Gear VR price (well a slight increase) but it is a proper VR headset and not a mobile phone strapped in there.

This is a limited time offer so get buying... Don't forget Skyline is fully integrated with the OSVR software so VR games can be made out of the bag.. (Gen1 fully intergrated, Gen2 is in testing and is an awsome step up from Gen1).

http://www.razerzone.com/vr/hdk1/

Code: Select all
Spend £99 or more to receive the Exclusive Razer Frostbite Pack (Razer Snapback Cap + Team Razer Water Bottle + Razer USB Thumb Drive 8GB) worth £70. Use Code: GBJAN17P1
Spend £209 or more to receive the Razer Nabu Watch worth £129. Use Code: GBJAN17P2
Offer ends January 12th, 2017. Offer excludes Razer Blade system purchases.

epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: This is the time to Buy VR

Postby lordalmighty1 » 11 Jan 2017, 07:04

i was going to pick up a osvr 2.0 but on talking to razor there is little options for controllers with it, 360 or xbox 1 pads but no hand helds as yet that are good price.. the razor hydra was discontinued and is only available now 2nd hand, for full price still nearly 200£ on amazon. the other razor option for osvr is 5k£ for hand held controllers.. I did look into other means to control game play with osvr but they all added up to be around the same price as oculas rift or htc vive :(

as the rift is owned by facebook I will never buy it myself. and the steam vive comes with hand helds as standard though £750 is abit much all things being = but that deal does seem fairly well priced by razor for osvr. but I would get the 2.0 version if any of course not by 12th sadly lol.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Level Designer

Postby epsilonion » 11 Jan 2017, 10:27

Osvr is still very early in development they don't have a consumer version yet just the developer kits for making apps and games.

For the £150 by the time you take off the price of the free watch makes the hdk1 a very cheap option. A lot cheaper than the £500+ you can pay for a basic headset.

Since your going to be using it via a pc the you can use Xbox controllers etc to play games with also joystick etc.

For consoles there is the playstation one but I haven't looked at that one just the pc enabled ones..

The osvr kits are modular this means that if you get the basic kit then you can upgrade it's components when you can Offord them so your not buying a full kit just to get the top upgrades like other systems.

I am to believe that there are regular firmware updates and the latest one is usually in development so don't upgrade to that till another is released.

There are options available and if you get controllers that are controlled by the pc instead of connecting to the headset wires sly to the pc that is then there are work around and cheap ones at that
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 11 Jan 2017, 12:09

epsilonion wrote:Osvr is still very early in development they don't have a consumer version yet just the developer kits for making apps and games.

yeah this I know, but I wanted the handhelds to dev with also, for testing controls etc.

its also a point to note that osvr works with most vive games and has semi native software for vive if I read it right the other day.
which in its self is good to know. the 2.0 version isn't that much more either then the 1.4. osvr site has a lot of info but no deals like razer has..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby epsilonion » 11 Jan 2017, 15:27

I can only afford the hdk 1 so will upgrade when I have the cash probably in about 10 years lol... :) this is the very last of my savings all gone now.. :)

Its good to know that steam fully supports OSVR and the list of games that are available is around 16 pages worth, can not wait for delivery now lol.. :)
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 11 Jan 2017, 15:35

yeah steam does have a fair few games for vive/osvr :)

good luck and enjoy you time with it and watch thingy
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 11 Jan 2017, 15:42

Thats good that steam has good support of it considering OSVR is built into skyline and will be usable in Gen2 again soon hopefully. Gen1 has full headtracking with OSVR as seen in the Dragon Rider footage :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby epsilonion » 11 Jan 2017, 16:33

SolarPortal wrote:Thats good that steam has good support of it considering OSVR is built into skyline and will be usable in Gen2 again soon hopefully. Gen1 has full headtracking with OSVR as seen in the Dragon Rider footage :)

Another reason why I wanted it so I can test the hell out of it and back lol.. maybe get a simple atmospheric scene up .. :)
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby epsilonion » 11 Jan 2017, 21:37

There is a list of compatible controllers on this list.. scroll down a bit..

http://osvr.github.io/compatibility/
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Postby lordalmighty1 » 11 Jan 2017, 22:18

yeah I saw and looked them up. but expensive some of them or out of date and discontinued. not sure how new that list is in all honesty. but yeah I read through a lot of the info.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 11 Jan 2017, 22:24

wiimote sounds doable. Not sure what it can offer in way of VR though.
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby HeadClot » 08 Oct 2017, 10:27

Just thought I would chime in on this.

Oculus Connect 4 is in 3 to 4 days and according to "rumor" they will be releasing a standalone VR headset.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/13/1596 ... fic-xiaomi

It should retail for about 200 dollars USD providing that the rumor is legit.
HeadClot
Skyline Novice

Return to Off-Topic