Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Porting assets bought from Unity to Skyline or other engines

Porting assets bought from Unity to Skyline or other engines

Postby karmacomposer » 03 Sep 2017, 15:48

Are assets purchased on the unity store allowed to be used in any engine.
i know unreal has a license against this.

No - you buy it from the asset store, you can use it in anything you want
That is my understanding

"perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media"

There's nothing saying you have to use Unity for your game. As long as it's a game, you can use whatever engine you want. I'd also say that the fact that they never specifically demand that you use Unity in the EULA is on purpose; they don't want purchasers to feel like any art or sound they buy would be unusable when developing outside of Unity.

Specifically, here is their license terms: Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media. Except for game services software development kits (“Services SDKs”), END-USERS may modify Assets. END-USER may otherwise not reproduce, distribute, sublicense, rent, lease or lend the Assets. It is emphasized that the END-USERS shall not be entitled to distribute or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) the Assets in any other way than as integrated components of electronic games and interactive media. Without limitation of the foregoing it is emphasized that END-USER shall not be entitled to share the costs related to purchasing an Asset and then let any third party that has contributed to such purchase use such Asset (forum pooling).

No where in their legalese does it say you MUST use what you purchgase in Unity and ONLY in Unity
You just cannot re-sell it

It must be used in games and digital media

This is true of almost all asset stores i've bought from - putting a limit on what you can use is just stupid
Now, I can see if it's assets created by Unity in-house staff, given away for free to Unity subscribers for use in Unity - that I ca see None of our assets we are using were free - all purchased with a specific license free to use them in our games without further royalties

And that's all i'll say about that . . .
karmacomposer
Skyline Initiate

Skill: Audio
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Porting assets bought from Unity to Skyline or other eng

Postby karmacomposer » 03 Sep 2017, 15:50

karmacomposer
Skyline Initiate

Skill: Audio