Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Skyline as viable 3D engine

Skyline as viable 3D engine

Postby SpiderMack » 23 Sep 2017, 15:01

Hi devs ,

Last time i tried Skyline i was disappointed as i was looking to a production ready 3D engine, unfortunatelly Skyline is a work in progress , so i got stuck in too many bugs.

I am still using UE4 as 3D artist mainly with team mates for a solo tps game, but like some other people devs i am looking for alternatives to mainstream engines with different licensing for personnal projects outside of mobile games.

There is some 3D engines out there with pros and cons, and Skyline is among those who combine a easy to understand and use interface or tools, and easy coding.Skyline Gen 2 has my whole attention, and i hope it will also get for game production soon ( encrypted game data, loading screens, game menu , .exe file , why not packager).

I don't think it needs to get all possible tools, all possible rendering features, or all terrain tools , instead i think it needs first to be easy to use and very flexible as Unity and let people code any gameplay or UI as they want with ease.
This is the most important feature for a 3D engine to get success, and Skyline is in that category.
I's better as Skyline is easy and it has lot of very interesting features, it's a very promising 3D engine.

Once Gen 2 is out, i hope there will be more active twiiter news (weekly screenshots or news) , actually it's pretty empty like nothing is going on.

I wish you good luck for Gen 2 and i'm waiting for the Steam release :D
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Skill: Concept artist
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Scripter

Re: Skyline as viable 3D engine

Postby SolarPortal » 23 Sep 2017, 15:12

Hi SpiderMack,
Thanks for popping by. Gen2 development is going well and we have improved many workflows and bugs since Gen1.
encrypted game data, loading screens, game menu , .exe file , why not packager).

All these are planned for the v1.0 release which will be skyline's first real version that will have exited beta.
We have terrain again which works very well and other new features which should make skyline stand out from the crowd.

We are steaming towards our full release and getting everything in place. Then once we are close to market, we will be stirring up the news on twitter and other social media platforms and if possible find a way into magazines and larger gaming news sites.

But to clarify, we are here and developing as hard as ever, we have just been focusing on the coding of the engine to get it as stable as possible :)

Thanks again :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby SpiderMack » 23 Sep 2017, 19:10

SpiderMack wrote:We have terrain again which works very well and other new features which should make skyline stand out from the crowd.

I don't think you need to stand out of the crowd about rendering features for example. Most users wont' have the skills or a team to make some AAA game.
There is many users wanting to make a solo game going to choose simple styles graphics like cartoon or polygon mixed with some top rendering features, engine usability and ease of coding should be the priority.

If users can have some easy coding as Unity for example, and as easy workflow about creating materials, prefabs , adding physics, i think this is what matters the most. Adding cool screen effects or shaders (light shafts, tone mapping, SSR, furr, Sub surface scattering ...) indeed would be a great addition but it should not be a priority for the first releases.

SpiderMack wrote: Then once we are close to market, we will be stirring up the news on twitter

I was meaning weekly or monthly news, even actually during beta phase to show it is actively developped.

SpiderMack wrote: we have just been focusing on the coding of the engine to get it as stable as possible

That's good news.
There is other Steam 3D engines with many bugs so i don't expect the first steam release to have less bugs :lol:
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Postby lordalmighty1 » 23 Sep 2017, 19:15

I was meaning weekly or monthly news, even actually during beta phase to show it is actively developped.

the devs mostly use discord app now a days for communicating the info on there is daily for the most part and you can join and talk with them regularly about everything skyline.
I will grab the link to it if you are interested join up its a safe free download with many uses.

brb with link.http://www.forum.aurasoft-skyline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1794&p=10011&hilit=discord#p10011
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Great creative

Postby SpiderMack » 24 Sep 2017, 08:54

lordalmighty1 wrote:the devs mostly use discord app now a days for communicating the info on there is daily for the most part and you can join and talk with them regularly about everything skyline.
I will grab the link to it if you are interested join up its a safe free download with many uses.

brb with link.viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1794&p=10011&hilit=discord#p10011

Why not, you can pm me the link ?
SpiderMack
Skyline Expert

Return to Off-Topic