Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Android Tablet

Android Tablet

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 03 Oct 2013, 11:33

So I'm thinking of buying a tablet. But I find myself in the situation where I cannot even justify the expense even to myself.

Any suggestion on
1 Make and model.
2 Any suggestions as to what it could be used for, especially in a game dev situation.

Currently I only have 2 reasons why I'd like one.
1 Big Boy Toy
2 Reading books, but I already own a Kobo.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Re: Android Tablet

Postby Shando » 03 Oct 2013, 13:11

Hey buddy,

I've got a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1(wifi version) and mainly use it for reading e-mails, web surfing etc whilst my son hog our computer :x

From what I've read on other forums this is a pretty good model for testing games that are near to release as it is reasonably powerful:

Android 4 ICS
1280 x 800 display
1GHz dual-core processor
16GB Memory

With the Galaxy Tab 3 now out I would imagine that they're pretty cheap now (seems to be around 230 GBP?? - Currys, John Lewis & PC World, but I'm sure you can get it cheaper as I have seen a couple of reputable places in Oz selling them for $275)

HTH

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Android Tablet

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Oct 2013, 14:07

We own an ipad 2 each, which we use for note taking, sketching, surfing the net(research mostly), emails, photo storage, Music applications, and some pretty neat apps which can be productive or fun.

Storage: 16gb
price: Expensive lol - we bought ours as a gift to ourselves for a really hard years work, back in 2011
Screen size: 9.7 inch
CPU: Dual core 1Ghz.
Ram: 512mb
Resolution: 1024x768

The only thing i can say about the ipad, is the touch screen is really well made and works 99% of the time, when compared to other tablets and phones such as the Galaxy S2 Phone, which seemed to need a lot more press.
Also the ipad is really durable, especially when dropped as it has a metal backplate.

They are quite limited in what they can provide you for an added development tool. But they are great fun as a Big boy toy lol.

We really want a 17 inch touch tablet that houses windows, so we could use skyline with a touch screen lol. :D
But they are a tad expensive atm. :P
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Off-Topic