Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Working it out...

Working it out...

Postby epsilonion » 02 Mar 2015, 15:12

Just been messing around with the engine working out what is what..

It has taken hours to get this far, converted the FBX to mesh easily, then placed the mesh in scene crash, reloaded plased mesh in scene saved crash, reloaded placed another mesh in scene save crash.

Loaded the basic ocean, loaded another ocean crash. you get the picture..

Messed with physics on the meshes dynamic meshes fall through the landscape, turn it off works great.

The road node system works a treat I am wondering if its a mesh on a mesh (road on top of terrain?).

I have a few questions:
  • Is optical occlusion automatic? has it been implemented yet? (thinking about the road mesh on top of the terrain mesh).
  • Is there options for adding post processing such as HDR, bloom, etc? (I have looked but not seen anything).
  • How do you add scripts to objects (I think it might be the micro script option in properties not sure).
  • Is there an estimation on the next patch, I have been told its a big one.. :D

My main concern at the moment is all the crashes.

My Rig:
AMD FX 8150 (8 core)
16 GB Ram, 10 GB Swap file on SSD drive.
GE Force GTX 760
epsilonion
Skyline Lead Moderator
Skyline Lead Moderator

Skill: Business Manager
Skill: Great creative

Re: Working it out...

Postby SolarPortal » 02 Mar 2015, 15:39

The scene is starting to look good :) Keep it up! :D

It has taken hours to get this far, converted the FBX to mesh easily, then placed the mesh in scene crash, reloaded plased mesh in scene saved crash, reloaded placed another mesh in scene save crash.

sorry to hear about the crashes, if it is a specific mesh that is crashing. It would be great if you can send the meshfile and we can create a fix for that. :) Skyline is still in BETA because of these types of errors and crashing.

Loaded the basic ocean, loaded another ocean crash. you get the picture..

The latest release may stop this problem from happening as we have fixed a few crashes with the ocean :)

Messed with physics on the meshes dynamic meshes fall through the landscape, turn it off works great.

To have physics on the terrain, you need to press the "Apply Physics" button on the Terrain Creation Panel(first tab) with a terrain created in the scene.

The road node system works a treat I am wondering if its a mesh on a mesh (road on top of terrain?).

Yes, the road is a dynamic mesh placed on top of the terrain. We do have plans already in motion of upgrading the road system to include LODding, multiple materials on one mesh, intersections, mesh profiles etc...

Is optical occlusion automatic? has it been implemented yet? (thinking about the road mesh on top of the terrain mesh).

Skyline currently uses frustum culling to cull all "off screen" entities. We already have a full occlusion culling system in development. This is a system where it hides objects that are in the frustum but cannot be seen as they are hidden behind other objects. It will be a while before this is completed though.

Is there options for adding post processing such as HDR, bloom, etc? (I have looked but not seen anything).
Oh yes :D If you right click in the scene viewport, at the bottom of the context menu you will see post processing.
Not everything is working yet as this is the new editor which they are all being upgraded to.
What does work:
HDR
Bloom (works great with HDR)
SSAO
Photofilter.

There are many more post processing options such as VJ effects etc.. located as a dockwidget of the main editor.
RMB + Click on the Toolbar of the main editor > Choose Post processing.
Most cannot be edited, but they can be enabled.

This is a WIP featureset of skyline.
Overall i think there are around 60 post FX systems :)

You can add Height Fog to your scene as a post effect using the environment editor.

How do you add scripts to objects (I think it might be the micro script option in properties not sure).

Scripts can be added in 3 ways.
  • Microscripts: These are saved with the scene and "do not" have a harddrive based ".lua" file. They are the fastest and easiest method to get going with scripting. These are attached to any entity as an action and exist on the RMB + click aswell.
  • External Scripts: These are .lua files that are saved the hard drive. They require you to add the Script section to an entity through the "RMB+Click > Add Lua Script > Open from file" method. This is a good method to use if you want multiple entities to share the same script and all update when you change/save it.
  • Scene Script: This is part of each scene file that is "not" on a sceneEntity. This is great for setup code, spawning and handling game loop stuff. :)

Is there an estimation on the next patch, I have been told its a big one.. :D

lol, just been released :D

My main concern at the moment is all the crashes.

We would love to help, so if you can replicate the bugs and write down the procedures, we can fix these and make your time with skyline much more enjoyable. Plus it helps all the new users who come to the engine. :D
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Return to Off-Topic