Area for general discussions, where people can rant and chat about anything.

Prototype Levels with Basic Objects

Prototype Levels with Basic Objects

Postby StevenP » 14 Apr 2015, 20:11

I wasn't sure where to put this question but I am wondering if anyone has used the basic models in Skyline (cubes, etc.) for laying out a prototype level or even for things that would be used in a final game. If you have do you have advice to make the workflow smoother? <-- Edited to add that this is the question. :) If you used the basic objects for laying out levels what tips do you have that help it go faster? Is it just fiddly by nature or am I just too impatient (which could be true ;) .)

For me the problem is it seems too fiddly and difficult to place a cube, for example, and then resize it (because it resizes based on the center of the object rather than from edges or corners) then moving, rotating resizing again and then moving, etc. just become difficult. I know snap to grid can help but once the object has been rotated any form of moving, resizing, etc. becomes very difficult and fiddly. Messing with the gizmos, etc. can get counter intuitive (at least in my mind) once rotation is applied. I am sure this is just due to my lack of experience, though. :?

Anyways, it would be nice to be able to resize using handles on the edge of the objects, so, for example, I could grab a handle and only resize upwards (so if the block is on the ground it doesn't resize into the ground requiring me to reposition it) or t to the right, etc. Hopefully someone understands my frustrations. lol :D
StevenP
Skyline Apprentice

Re: Prototype Levels with Basic Objects

Postby StarFire » 14 Apr 2015, 20:41

Yes we hear you ;)

We have planned a type of whiteboxing hopefully with boolean operations. For now we use the Presets/Level Construction Kits
although these need remade as I did some of the axis in the wrong place. When I get a chance I will make some more useful kits and a tool to make it easier to layout a level. So watch this space lol ;)

There is also the plan to add the second life style of resizing, at some point. :roll:
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby StevenP » 14 Apr 2015, 20:43

Awesome! Thanks!

Wow! You two have your hands full. ;) But just keep delivering and making this product better and better and we'll be happier and happier. All I can say is keep it up and this will be the "goto" game engine for Indies!
StevenP
Skyline Apprentice

Postby TattieBoJangle » 14 Apr 2015, 21:18

I did use this when i first started Skyline it was a simple pac-man sort of thing and the player was a ball it was ok as an idea and worked ok that is as far as i got with using them.
Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby StarFire » 15 Apr 2015, 11:51

Now we have the new editor development from script we should be able to create a new level designer similar idea as axis factory, but not as big. ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StevenP » 15 Apr 2015, 14:55

StarFire wrote:Now we have the new editor development from script we should be able to create a new level designer similar idea as axis factory, but not as big. ;)

That would be cool! * thumbs up *
StevenP
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 15 Apr 2015, 14:58

:D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder