This forum plays host to the community game project

Gen 1 or wait for Gen 2. Also Skyline for a Large Project

Gen 1 or wait for Gen 2. Also Skyline for a Large Project

Postby Olander » 15 Feb 2017, 23:43

I have been learning a lot about Skyline. It has been a struggle on some points but very refreshing on most points. I have been putting Skyline and UE4 (sometimes Unity 5 as well) head to head. I am finding that Skyline is not as polished as UE4 and is missing some features of UE4, however, Skyline is really good and actually fun to work within.

I believe I am ready to begin transferring code, models, textures and all of that into Skyline. This will take some time to do since as always it is a 1 by 1 process. I have not touched Gen2 yet because of learning the engine in the first place. Now though the topic surfaces. There are two primary questions that arise.

1) Start building and creating in Gen 1 then transfer to Gen 2?
- Terrain System will be incompatible (likely). Gen 2 Importer perhaps?
- Materials will be incompatible (likely). Gen 2 transfer?
- Other concerns?

2) How will Skyline handle roughly 30gb of textures and 15gb of meshes? Project size in the end would likely be ~50gb+
- Unity begins to have a lot of problems above ~15gb project size. And many corrupted projects at30gb+. I have almost 1.5million lines of code in the Genesis Framework (built on top of Unity) and Unity handles it poorly.
- UE4 seems to handle the large projects well but I have not really pushed it hard like I did with Unity.
- It seems Skyline, like UE4, will require much less code to get things done. Even less so in Skyline since there are some great features already in place for RPG. Still the code base will be rather large in script count.

*note on script design execution is 50ms x2 design. This means that normal script cycle rate is 50ms but when loaded heavily during game-centric loading the cycle is allowed to go to 100ms for various actions. Cycling is maintained by the Module (currently the scene script) to determine desired loading heartbeats.

Thank you for any information.
Olander
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Level Designer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: Scripter
Skill: Audio
Skill: Great creative

Re: Gen 1 or wait for Gen 2. Also Skyline for a Large Projec

Postby StarFire » 16 Feb 2017, 13:13

Wow sounds like a massive project.

Thank you for your insights between engines and how you see us hold up in comparison. :)

Ok I think SP will give you a terrain update, this feature will be available with in a very short time ;)

Materials do get converted between gen1 and gen2 but I would strongly suggest using Gen2 as we hope to move the Gen2 project to become the main Skyline very soon, weeks not months.
Gen2 is a lot more stable now than Gen1 and many new features and updated features, plus is has an added performance gain over Gen1. Personally I would say get your copy now to start your project on, and we will also be adding as many RPG core features as our own IP requires them. We are happy to work closely with projects such as yours as this advances the engine in a practical feet on the ground way.

Performance is high on our task list once the final conversion are completed. We have set out a lot of ground work for system such as occlusion culling and instancing which when employed will add more performance freedom.

Give SP a PM and have a play with gen2 and save yourself time ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 2D Artist

Postby Olander » 16 Feb 2017, 15:10

Thank you StarFire. I shall do what you ask.
I shall put Gen 2 to heavy use. It will take some time to import and set up the models and associated materials. Also I have many heightmaps to be imported. Getting a solid workflow will also give good feedback to you folks.
Olander
Skyline Apprentice

Skill: Scripter
Skill: Audio

Postby StarFire » 16 Feb 2017, 16:35

Great to hear :)

Skyline needs a large project to get its teeth into, to help us nail any short comings. ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 2D Artist

Return to Community Game