This forum plays host to the community game project

Community Game - Recruiting

Community Game - Recruiting

Postby StarFire » 02 Oct 2013, 12:43

Original Topic
A few of the community has requested to create a game between us. We are very interested in this idea but first we need to find out how many people would be interested in joining into the project. So if you think you are up for the challenge please post back to this topic and state what skills you can bring to the game.

This project would help us to create tutorials and specific game features and also will provide help to anyone wanting to learn more about working on Skyline as a developer as we have many years of game development experience to offer the community team.

We look forward to hearing your responses.

Your Skyline Development Team =)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Community Game

Postby ant0N » 02 Oct 2013, 12:55

Hi! I am with you! :D
My skills:
programmer and 3d modeling
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby Shando » 02 Oct 2013, 13:48

I'll help if required.

I'm a programmer and writer.

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 02 Oct 2013, 17:11

More than happy to get in on this, I have quite a lot of models already.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby Talidan » 02 Oct 2013, 19:34

I have little applicable skills at this point :(

Very basic knowledge of mapping, programming, modeling, animating and rigging. Not enough to do much with yet, but I'm learning. Maybe I can participate in the future, if I can ever get my DigiPen classes. Good luck, though. If progress is going to be posted to these forums, I will be eagerly watching.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby chatie25 » 02 Oct 2013, 19:40

Count me in -- I have experience both Design (2D and 3D) and Development.

Catherine
chatie25
Skyline Novice

Postby StarFire » 02 Oct 2013, 19:43

@Talidan: This can be a perfect time to get involved as we will be offering advice on many topic areas of game development and Skyline specifics, don't feel that you can not participate due to limited skills. This is a good time to learn and expand what you already know. Even if you still don't input you can benefit from the collaborative experience.

Yes we will be keeping the project open to the community to follow :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 02 Oct 2013, 21:24

Talidan,
Everyone who is interested should get involved regardless of skills or skill levels.

Having ideas and suggestions is every bit as important as the skills to create models, program etc.

Imagination is a huge skill when making a game...

My suggestion for game base to get things going would be a FTS style game with some RPG elements, set on a medium size level.
Perhaps a few separate different locations that require the use of some simple vehicles to move about.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby MrZero » 02 Oct 2013, 21:31

Hello,

It's a very interesting idea, but can we have more informations ?
What's the other goal in addition to learning news things and improving our skills on Skyline ?
I'm (20 years old) currently student in IT School (2nd year), specialized in development, learning Java, VB.NET and other web languages, so I don't kow if I'm able to help your project since I'm still in learning phase, but I really want to have an impact on a project around development.

I keep an eye on this topic ! ;)
MrZero
Skyline Novice

Postby Muman » 02 Oct 2013, 22:49

hi, I'm in too...

Skills
1. Concept Development
2. 3D modelling
3. 2D work
4. Level Building
5. determination :)

Still, I am quite busy on several projects at the moment, mobile, PC and interactive books but can do most requests within the scope of what I am already doing.

Will collect images together and post either here or in a forum specific thread when such becomes available or existing.
Muman
Skyline Initiate

Postby Talidan » 02 Oct 2013, 23:18

NightHawk wrote:@Talidan: This can be a perfect time to get involved as we will be offering advice on many topic areas of game development and Skyline specifics, don't feel that you can not participate due to limited skills. This is a good time to learn and expand what you already know. Even if you still don't input you can benefit from the collaborative experience.

Yes we will be keeping the project open to the community to follow :)

So, what sort of things would I be able to do, given my limited abilities? I currently have absolutely nothing on my plate, as I made room for schooling, but that has not worked out, so I am free to do whatever I am able to do, and can dedicate most of my time to learning the ins and outs of Skyline, to whatever extent I'd be able to. If there are ways I can be directed to help, then direct away!

iamcheeseontoast wrote:Talidan,
Everyone who is interested should get involved regardless of skills or skill levels.

Having ideas and suggestions is every bit as important as the skills to create models, program etc.

Imagination is a huge skill when making a game...

I wish more people would understand that. I've had people together for trying to make games, for what I thought were great ideas, and it has fallen apart over and over due to lack of motivation from anyone else.
Which is why I've focused myself on education and trying to learn everything I can to do as much as I can by myself, or hopefully be taken seriously enough that more dedicated folk would be on board with me.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby Shando » 03 Oct 2013, 00:20

Hi Talidan,

As everyone else has stated, this would be a great project to get involved in as you would learn far more than any books or videos would teach you :D

Also, from what I have seen of the devs and community so far everyone is extremely helpful and won't ignore your input, or treat you like a noob (unlike some of the forums of other game engines !!!)

My main problem has always been working solo, and many projects have never made it very far because of that :(

Regards

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 16:15

We too had great difficulty breaking into the industry as nobody would give us any time, but you just have to be persistent and become good at your chosen discipline/s ;)

@Talidan:One of the main requirements is enthusiasm and being willing to learn, and its seems like you pass on both these qualities. As we develop the game please dont be shy to ask questions and over time you will find you will start to get the hang of it ;)
For now I would say is get to know Skylines workflow and main tools. Oh I forgot to ask what is your direction, ie what skills are you looking to learn, do you see yourself as an artist, programmer,level designer, modeler or jack of all trades such as a Game Developer?

Project Forum:
We have set up a forum for the project: viewforum.php?f=47 in this forum we can all make topics on anything to do with the project, could be questions, assets etc. We have started by adding a brainstorming topic :ugeek:
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Re: Community Game - Recruiting

Postby Talidan » 03 Oct 2013, 18:31

NightHawk wrote:@Talidan:One of the main requirements is enthusiasm and being willing to learn, and its seems like you pass on both these qualities. As we develop the game please dont be shy to ask questions and over time you will find you will start to get the hang of it ;)
For now I would say is get to know Skylines workflow and main tools. Oh I forgot to ask what is your direction, ie what skills are you looking to learn, do you see yourself as an artist, programmer,level designer, modeler or jack of all trades such as a Game Developer?

Jack of all trades, minus some artistry. I'm not much of an artist, no matter how hard I try, and I'm partially color-blind to a point that it prevents me from being able to accurately color anything... also prevented me from getting an amazing job building electronic equipment for the Department of Defense :( such is life, yah?
Currently, I'd rank, from best to worst, my level of skill with each: Level design, modeler, programmer.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 20:32

@Talidan: We have added you to the team list - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=477
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby sfarza » 05 Oct 2013, 09:11

count me in very low skill in C++ programming but i can help help in the game design/conception. I'm a standards console hater :oops: so PC gaming flows in my veins. :lol: :roll:
sfarza
Skyline Novice

Postby StarFire » 05 Oct 2013, 19:24

hey sfarza glad to have you on board :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Sleepwalker » 06 Oct 2013, 20:30

I don't feel like I've been doing my part here. Count me in! I have experience in modeling, uv unwrapping, rigging, and a bit of texturing.
Here are a few things I've made: http://p3d.in/u/Sleepwalker000
Sleepwalker
Skyline Novice

Postby Ryzon » 09 Oct 2013, 03:41

I have been speaking via email with Dave and he knows what I can help with and why! But I can also give you a brief idea of who I am and what I can do.

http://mingerjosh.carbonmade.com/about

It is 2 years old but you get the Idea. I am always looking for a challenge and can adapt to learn new things if needed. I love supporting the community and the projects were all here for. I can help revamp the site, site design, perhaps give it a better name such as domains, and revamp the community boards for better user satisfaction. I can help build a bridge between users and developers that will establish long term relationships and bonds.
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby Talidan » 09 Oct 2013, 08:31

I should probably show the couple of things I have done, as bare as they are.

Checking out the look of an office room in UDK, with terrible self-made seprators:
http://youtu.be/klR_KGH9UZE
Also checking out the physics of the objects. Not perfect, but eh...

Early 2D walk testing with basic player animation and controls:
http://youtu.be/UciaCvQIrGs
While I didn't do the art (that would be my girlfriend), I did everything to make it move and controllable.

Incomplete Mewtwo (because I still love Pokemon) I began on the other day sculpted in Sculptris and retopo'ed because there's so little you can do with something you make in Sculptris...all them polys, getting in the way of things:
http://i.imgur.com/QphjdJI.png

I've got more somewhere, but you get the idea. I'm spread out, so I'm not great at any one thing yet, but I'll get there.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby Ryzon » 09 Oct 2013, 09:33

Liking the Mewtwo :) I too am still a fan!
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby Skyknight » 09 Oct 2013, 15:29

I can offer my skills along with those from my students.

Mine: Particle effects, environment design, props design, 3d modelling, writing and QC.
Students: Concept art, environment design, texturing and merchandising.

My students are located in Colombia and they are part of Taller 5 - Centro de Diseño. They are graphic designers and one already works on a local tv channel.
Skyknight
Skyline Novice

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 09 Oct 2013, 20:04

Wow

We really are an international Bunch now...

seems pc games are like music, global......
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 09 Oct 2013, 21:54

@Sleepwalker: Its always great to have another user online and wiling to help, i think including all skill types should help create a stylish game.
If you have any thoughts on the Game ideas or something you would like to input, try the Brainstorming topic: :D
http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=476

@Ryzon: Wow, another user on board with the Community Game. Dave is posting to you on the "new forums" topic :)
There's no reason why the end games the community makes can't have its own website.

@Talidan: You don't give yourself enough credit, your sculpting is pretty good. Have you tried painting the models yet :P
seems you are trying to develop in all areas like a jack of all trades lol

@ SkyKnight: Welcome to the forums and also welcome to your students :D
The more skills we have involved means we can make better games lol.

@iamcheeseontoast: lol, very true :P

I shall add your names and skills to the teamlist page.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Talidan » 10 Oct 2013, 00:04

SolarPortal wrote:@Talidan: You don't give yourself enough credit, your sculpting is pretty good. Have you tried painting the models yet :P
seems you are trying to develop in all areas like a jack of all trades lol

Oy, painting... anything with colors is a bit of a hit to my self-esteem :P
I do try, but being partially colorblind, I will never be amazing at it. I try almost daily to improve on everything else, though!
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Next

Return to Community Game