This forum plays host to the community game project

Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Re: :D :D :D

Postby ant0N » 10 Oct 2013, 08:10

Forget the of shooter! Let's make the fantasy! :D :D :D :D
Now we have a great team, we will make it! ;)
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller

Re: Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Postby Talidan » 10 Oct 2013, 09:23

B-but...it could still be a fantasy/sci-fi shooter. While my original post was exploding with crazy possibilities, a game with simple mechanics would be the best thing for our first project. It's difficult to get more simple than a shooter, but that doesn't limit additional features...or what the game world can have in it. It can be as basic as a straight-forward shooter where you're always blasting your gun, or have more interactive areas that are similar to, say, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, or Deus Ex.

From there, we could move onto other games and explore more complicated gameplay styles other than a shooter.

And if that process doesn't sound appealing, we can, at the very least, work on the world itself, objects and character concepts for it, visual style concepts and possible story.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Oct 2013, 11:15

And if that process doesn't sound appealing, we can, at the very least, work on the world itself, objects and character concepts for it, visual style concepts and possible story.

i agree with talidan, we should create a style of game and the world type. Are we making a realistic, cartoon, or some other style.
Seeing as we all cannot agree on a game type to make, maybe developing the world we want will help us choose what type of game we need, whether it is a Third Person Shooter or hacknSlash, First Person Shooter or magic/Swords, RTS, etc...

I think everyone should write down their style and world types they wish to make.
e.g. for myself and most likely NightHawk.

Style: Sci-fi, Fantasy, stylized cartoon - as realism takes alot more art skills and time, more like crash bandicoot/Digimon/Pokemon style brought up to modern graphics, as a few people seem to already have assets and skills for that area.
World: Alien, vegetation filled worlds, tropics, temples, woodlands.
World type: Open world or linear.

Note to all: feel free to add or remove anything from the options :D

This way we can then compound all ideas and choose the correct style and world type that all will accept. :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 10 Oct 2013, 11:15

I'd agree a FPS is the place to start (for simplicity) but we don't have to have a gun,,, magical style weapon perhaps. I do like the fantasy styling though.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Oct 2013, 11:16

we are big fans of magic in games :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ant0N » 10 Oct 2013, 11:34

Style: Fantasy, crash bandicoot/Digimon/Pokemon
World: Alien, vegetation filled worlds, tropics, woodlands and very lot animals (hostile or neutral).
World type: Open world
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Oct 2013, 11:43

great thanks for your input anton :)
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Shando » 10 Oct 2013, 12:53

I agree with cheese and anton that we should make a Fantasy/Alien/Open World with magic weapons (not necessarily of the hand-held variety).

Shando
Shando
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Scripter

Postby Ryzon » 10 Oct 2013, 13:42

Make an FPS with simply blocks. Like a blockword or something where everything is blocky. Mincecraft massacre lol!
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 10 Oct 2013, 13:53

it does seem like we are heading towards a similar game feeling now,

Fantasy style - with catoony style, such as "blue dragon" or "zelda(ocarina of time)"
Alien worlds - look at "final fantasy" and "phantasy star" or "star ocean"
Open world - 512k terrain @ 2 km world size. This is quite adequate size as we found out with our demo cornsquare which was only a 1km terrain, we should be able to make it feel packed.
Using Magic and Magic weapons - e.g. staffs, fireballs etc..

I think this would be quite fresh to make and art assets would be simpler to build and only need to be low poly, which will make the engine run :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 10 Oct 2013, 13:57

My concern with a cartoony art style is cartoon textures....

I use real world textures from the likes of cg textures which are then modified to suit.
I do not have the skills to create textures from scratch and especially cartoons.
While they might sound like and easy option they really aren't.

Do we have any texture artists that could do textures needed ??.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby Talidan » 10 Oct 2013, 18:55

iamcheeseontoast wrote:Do we have any texture artists that could do textures needed ??.

I know someone who might want to get on board to help with that, who prefers cartoon style, if we don't have anyone here who can. Or if we do, they can still help.

So, most everyone seems to be pretty much leaning in one direction as far as world type, style, etc, so how about the main gameplay type? Can we make a shooter in this setting feel right? Would be a cartoony, shooter in a similar world as Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star, but open world à la Far Cry?
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby j-cooke » 10 Oct 2013, 21:21

Do a search on google for "polycount hand painted textures" and go to images and you will get a lot of good reference pics, and many times if you click on the image to creator of the texture will give you his work flow.
j-cooke
Skyline Novice

Postby j-cooke » 10 Oct 2013, 21:28

Serious Sam was a great game, one of my all time favs.

Couple of more ideas.

Horror game, maybe something like you have a limited time to escape from a large castle/mansion.

Driving combat,something like the old Twisted Metal games.
j-cooke
Skyline Novice

Postby Ryzon » 10 Oct 2013, 22:52

We should get that game going though, can be a nice little display game for the engine by full release date if anything else.
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby SolarPortal » 11 Oct 2013, 13:51

i agree, we should settle on an idea and get going, otherwise we won't get anywhere whatever type of game it is lol :lol:
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 11 Oct 2013, 15:18

I am going to set up a new set of forum groups for the new team, this way we can send updates by mass email to ensure everyone is on the same page. We will give the brainstorming another week before we start to layout foundations for the game, so come on guys get your ideas in the mixing pot.

Cool to see some other ideas such as survival, horror. ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative

Postby Talidan » 13 Oct 2013, 22:57

As far as ideas, I'm just about out for anything that would fall in line with the general direction this is headed, but I have a few that might take it in another.

I'm mostly posting in an attempt to bring some attention back to here. We need active discussion. I know it's difficult since some of us are in different areas of the world.

After this, we should try to schedule a live chat between us all and, as NightHawk said, lay down some foundations. I feel like live discussion really helps for collaborative targeting of ideas.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby Ryzon » 14 Oct 2013, 20:35

I agree we should be in many many Skype conversations as well be posting little bit more on the community boards to get a direction going and work with it.
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby Muman » 16 Oct 2013, 18:19

Hi all, Im a keen fan of Sci - Fi / Mage themes and have such a concept always on the cards.
Love the thought of Bio-tech approach, grown Creatures, buildings , enviro 'escapees' etc.

Now as soon as I am actually able to get Sky line installed I would like to sketch up World levels and toy with the themes expressed here.

Lots of great ideas and direction control, important for any project...
Muman
Skyline Initiate

Postby StarFire » 16 Oct 2013, 18:44

Hey Muman look forward to seeing your ideas ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Muman » 16 Oct 2013, 19:16

Hey there,
Here's a quickie incorporating all styles on the go.

A generation ship is cruising the vast oceans of space and time, it is a piece of rock surrounded by a containment field with a green world topside, tech worlds within to maintain world integrity.
The surface has a large lake/ swamp area where deep within the lake, life is generated as a spawn. Evolution takes it hand as an accelerated process so that the Spawn mutates as it grows into the land form, hauls itself out of the water and begins evolving towards a Techno society.

Natural trend is Shaman to tinkerer etc..

This spawning process only happens when the 'ship' approaches a sun capable of sustaining organic life forms and the 'life generating mechanism produces the total range of species to form an ecology that supports itself.

The Shaman soon discovers and ancient old castle set on a mountain where exhibits are arranged along with tests to determine if the being is capable of maintaining an interest and not merely exploring.

The resultant interest would then determine the direction 'science' would take and appropriate scenarios would be generated to support that proposition.

A world below is an old colony world and 'Ship' is the 'caretaker doing its round (much like Rama series)

Here the world has regressed and produced a savage environment ruled by Warlords and monarchs but moderated by Anarchical influences, tribalism.

Our hero would begin life as a tadpole, evolve to a swimmer then a land crawler and finally a bipedal.

Support mechanisms would be nano enhancements taken up in the food chain provided by 'Ship' where such enhancements would be minimal but noticeable in visual styles.

To encourage magic wielders, the nervous system of 'Hero' would be highly evident, displayed as ticklishness where the nerves support a greater flow of bio electric energy that could be collected with accumulators (wands) and utilized in a limited fashion.
E.g, suffusing material to form flying wing capes, hypnotics and destructive discharges etc.

Eventual y 'Hero' finds that is the Maintainable crew and once the job has been done, correcting disparities of the troubled world, it then goes into remission and the ship moves on, its eco system dying as it enters deep space.

Elements incorporating 1st, 3rd person perspectives could be incorporated for successive evolutionary climbs, missions etc.

Visuals should be standard realism to support a suspension of disbelief for environmental sectors,

Characters should be relatable and desirable for player ownership...

Tech should be a mix of organics and constructs.

Well thats off the top of my head but concepts I've been toying with over time and explored by many authors in sci fi scenarios.

cheers...
Muman
Skyline Initiate

Postby StarFire » 16 Oct 2013, 19:25

Wow what are you smoking lol :lol:
nice outline :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 16 Oct 2013, 19:40

i am quite happy to move on this as a game idea :D
also has quite a humorous side ... tadpole lol :P
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Muman » 16 Oct 2013, 20:57

Thanks guys,

The evolutionary cycle could be enhanced with a 'Player" change scenario where to acquire the next stage, the 'player' taddy would locate a creature which has died that seems its on the rise as a species, then inject its hormones into the corps to regenerate it as a 'Host' and when mature, transfer itself to the new body :)

Play would then progress...

So tadpole to Dragonfly type, dead end evo cycle, target first victim then transfer intellect, target next etc...
Environment would be full of competing species with same abilities so player would need to be on its proverbial toes else it would or could be targeted by a lower species seeking to upgrade.

Each successive stage could be incorporated into a Day/Night cycle so that when morning comes, a new world dawns.... e.g from Player as a Lizard critter and wakes into a world where Neanderthal types have evolved and built cave homes or huts, a good skill to have but being more evolved, Lizard would need to target a creature that is one stage down from Neanderthal in order to target said...

Or...Tadpole could evolve all the way thru to a bipedal entity, a normal cycle...

There are lots of possibilities But keeping in mind that the project is intended as Tech Demo, then the overall scenario should be limited in story line without compromising the extents of the engines capabilities in handling In/Outdoors, Space to micro environs, nature/ tech themes and so on...

Still, a small scenario depicting the above elements would go a long way in Player involvement, developer skills and production pipeline values as a guide for would be Skyline acolytes....

How would you tickle a tadpole? :)
Muman
Skyline Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Community Game