This forum plays host to the community game project

Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Re: Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Postby SolarPortal » 26 Oct 2013, 22:44

hi guys,
i just found this link of how big game worlds actually are:

the terrain i uploaded based on "iamcheeseontoasts" original level is 5km wide, which works out to 25km squared.
this image shows how big certain game worlds are in width across and squared kilometers for personal reference:
http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2010/05/Large-Video-Game-Worlds.jpg

btw: you can download the current terrain files and material files from the skydrive:
http://www.chi-ad.com/Skyline/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=506
Note: be aware that we are planning a release which will fix certain features we required for the community game.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer
Skill: Level Designer

Postby Ryzon » 27 Oct 2013, 01:07

Yah, I do not think we need a world quite that large as 2004 and up lol! Pretty big world lol. You should see how big world of warcrafts world is now. I heard its enormous.
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby ucm » 27 Oct 2013, 08:31

Been a while since I've been able to get online ( been quite busy raising funds )

Here's my idea ( barrowing from most of everyone in the community ):

Attila
"The S K Y Stealer"

There are 6 "Zones" each with a different magical S K Y power ( and different color/texturing ) and your hud will have a hexagon with 6 points to hold each of the "S K Y Power Artifacts" ( each artifact is of what seems as ancient and almost wooden or metal-like ancient alien origin that partially surrounds a glowing crystal with many facets and 2D particles emanation and some of them hovering about the crystal while some parts of the wooden or metal-like structure seem to scale or orbit about the crystal )

You play as "Attila" a male semi-punk/semi-goth/semi-ranger kind of guy ( early 20's )

You have a car that when you have enough "S K Y Energy", it will enable a hovercraft mode and you can even fly upwards several dozen feet in the air ( but not much more than a few dozen feet )

Your goal is to "collect" these ancient "S K Y Power Artifacts" and once you do then they work on the hexagon in your hud and create a extremely powerful combined 7th "S K Y Power" which enables your car to actually fly. This enables you to fly up to the top of a floating "S K Y Castle" in the 7th zone.

Attila has a pet which like pokemon/digimon has a special powers which get power-up'd in a different way with each of the "S K Y Powers" as you collect the "S K Y Artifacts" from each zone.

Each time you collect a "S K Y Artifact" then your pet ( which the player names at the beginning of the game ) will morph and change form his original state into 6 other states until finially his final form is revealed when you enter the "Ancient S K Y Castle"

Each morph unlocks a new attack and defense power.

( this is an optional idea but go for it if you like ) -- You can enter battles with various enemies throughout the game which like an RPG game go into a "Battle Mode" and you gain XP from the battle.

You can drive around and use weapons on your vehicle to battle with other enemies in vehicles.

Your vehicle is a semi-dune-buggie and semi-hover car but remember that your car's wheels rotate underwards only when you have enough "S K Y Power" which "when" you have collected a particular "S K Y Artifact" then you can collect from enemies as well as rupees ( or some kind of gold or money ) as well as ammunition for your car and your British Revolver that has been in Attila's possession for a long time ( possibly from family or a friend )

At the end of the game; when Attila defeats the main boss enemy, the "S K Y Castle" crumbles and falls to the ground forming a ruin and you win the game.

p.s. don't have Attila wear all black, that's extremely lame although if you want to add comedy of a "cool" nature then you have Attila's pet wear all black and give him a personality as though he thinks he is a really cool bad-ass kind of dude and then as he "evolves" he becomes "actually cool and bad ass"

Also you should make Attila's pet speak English and they can both talk to each other and to everyone else.

Resources:
* Got the Attila name from this list which could prove additionally useful: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/category-gothic-names.html

Enjoy :ugeek:
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby Ryzon » 27 Oct 2013, 16:14

I like the idea, and for resale and valuing purposes I had an idea to go with it. Put the Skyline logo on the actual building, vehicles, etc inside the game. Like decals. That would be awesome.
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby ucm » 29 Oct 2013, 12:41

@Ryzon: Hey thanks! :D

I've decided that if this community would like to make this game using this S K Y L I N E engine as a free game to showcase S K Y L I N E's capabilities then I'm all for that but I do really like the idea of my making this game on my own at some point in the future so I reserve the right to do so with any engine of my choice but again if this community would like to use/modify this game concept that I created ( in a non-exclusive capacity ) then please feel free and all I ask is that you use this S K Y L I N E engine and present this engine in a great positive and wonderful light :D

Again; I hold in reserve all rights including the right to make this game myself even for commercial purposes _but_ I grant fan game permission to this community to create and remake this game in your own vision as long as you use the S K Y L I N E engine ( or if you and I come to other arrangements in the future then we can discuss that at a later date )

Night Hawk and SolarPortal Rock the house!! and I am very pleased to know these guys; their engine is fantastic!! :D
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby Talidan » 30 Oct 2013, 02:59

I'm not trying to create any animosity here, but you can't really lay claim to the concept, especially when you yourself said that it's borrowing from the ideas of the community.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 30 Oct 2013, 12:14

I cannot imagine the community game will be based on any "one" persons ideas, kinda goes against the whole concept of a "community" game.

I also have my own game concept and I dare say there will be some overlaps between the community game and mine.

Any ideas or assets donated to the community game are done so freely but I still remain the legal owner (assets).

In short UCM your jumping the gun here a lot so don't worry about it. No one here is gonna steal your stuff for their own gain.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby ucm » 30 Oct 2013, 13:00

bahh... All I'm saying is that the concept I created with inspiration from this community is something I'd like to produce some day.

but if you guys want to create this as a FREE community game using S K Y L I N E then go for it; I'd love to play a game like this that you guys put together using S K Y L I N E :ugeek:
ucm
Skyline Padawan

Postby Talidan » 13 Nov 2013, 22:40

As I said a while back, I think we were straying a little far from an ideal solution for a starting project, so I decided to keep my distance until there was a solid plan in place, and then I would participate more by providing whatever services I could to contribute. I don't know if anything is being worked out in the background through private messages, Skype, etc, but from where I'm standing here in the forum, things seem a little dead.

Do we have anything to move forward with?
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby ant0N » 14 Nov 2013, 04:36

Talidan, I think that we are waiting for the next update engine. And then we'll move on ;) .
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 15 Nov 2013, 10:50

Yes we are busy working on the next update, hope it wont be long now. ;)

So far we have rewritten the character controllers so they work on all scenes and also a fully lua scriptable version so you can create you own character controllers.
Vegetation now works with the depth buffer so tree scenes look great with post proc effects.
Also we now have a stand alone player version, the Skyline Player runs Skyline scenes without the editor as you would with the end game. Some of you may have noticed that inside the editor movement could be jumpy, which is normal when working with an editor. The exe player is really smooth and shows what the game will really run like with improved performance etc.

Although there is an update being prepared, please remember that scenes, art and ideas can already be developed. ;)

Update: Many thanks to Shando as he has been working on the UI tech and he has also written a great tutorial on how to get a CEGUI interface into Skyline. Have a read here: http://www.chi-ad.com/DokuWiki/doku.php/shando_manual:gs_introduction
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Previous

Return to Community Game