This forum plays host to the community game project

Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 15:41

It would be great if you can express any game ideas that you would think would make a cool game for our first project together. It doesn't need to be a full GDD ( game Development Document) but enough info so we can all discuss the ideas relative merits. Dont be shy, even if you think your idea would not be good enough please make a post as this is the brain storming stage of the development.

So lets get creative :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer

Re: Project Ideas - Brainstorming

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 15:44

iamcheeseontoast mentioned : My suggestion for game base to get things going would be a FTS style game with some RPG elements, set on a medium size level.Perhaps a few separate different locations that require the use of some simple vehicles to move about.

So here is what we though based on this idea:

Combat game using FPS, RTS, Management.

Issue Orders to your newly created troops who can be added by having the correct resources in play. Have these troops help you get control over the objective by suppressing fire or other tactics, whilst you attack the enemy face on in FPS mode. To complete the level you must survive and complete the quest objective.

Game starts in helicopter/craft - By accessing the craft at any time puts the player into RTS mode where they can issue troop orders or create resources to enable more troops/weapons on the combat zone/objective

FPS - In this mode the player can join in the action by completing a set of ground objectives. This will only be successful if the resource + troop orders are enough to overpower the enemy. At any time the player can return back to the craft to enter RTS/Strategy mode to issue new orders. Use the objects and vehicles to help you gain the upper hand.

"Image from Halo Wars - Not our image"

Features
  • Game size - 512 terrain @ 2km
  • Have 4 main locations/zones with multiple combat objectives or quests per zone
  • Art Style: Fantasy, Sci-fi or Modern ( Prefer fantasy or scifi )
  • Plenty of individual scriptable elements.
  • Use of mixed game play; FPS/ RTS / RPG (Quest Based) / Management Game Systems
  • Plenty of particles and other effects
  • Use vehicles such as tanks and APC's to move around the map.

Obviously this is all open for discussion :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 03 Oct 2013, 18:12

I'm thinking locations to be different depending on what everyone likes. Theres nothing to stop us having a fantasy location, sci-fi and modern etc etc. Maybe even a set of smaller levels, one for each. Or a single larger level with a teleport system between areas.

Starting in a fantasy world with typical rpg elements. Once completed quests etc etc you find the teleport to a steampunk or modern area followed by a sci-fi area/level where you use the management side of things.

Theres nothing to stop us making say 3 or 4 small games with in the one game. That should keep everyone happy and end up with a great demo for engine.

As long as well start simple and row from there
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby Talidan » 03 Oct 2013, 19:19

That seems like a pretty solid idea as it would really show the flexibility of the engine in one game. As far as ideas that would be great showcases for the engine, while pushing it to test, there are few that could be better than one incorporating major elements from several genres. With the right structure, it would be relatively easy to demo most game possibilities and engine features.

On the note of the "3 or 4 smaller games within the one", what could be done is elements of each "sub-game" could be present in one larger section (FPS, RTS, RPG, vehicle-use, etc), but have the smaller, "sub-game" focus more directly on each, woven into a seamless structure and story.

Say it opens up similarly to how NightHawk describes, but coming at the front of a large building that you're basically sieging. You have troops you manage, like an RTS, but eventually jump into the action, able to switch between combat and management (rather than a camera move to top-down, how about you manage from a third-person view with what you see instead of "globally"?), to make a push into the building. Once in, the game becomes mostly a squad-based FPS, where you can direct a squad. This is where other RPG elements could be shown as well, where you can up skills for both you and your squad members, and you fight through and take over the place.

It would obviously be shorter than a standard game, but as a demo, it could work really well. Any section could be as long or short as needed to really show stuff and it could really be any setting. Fantasy, sci-fi, modern, and would still work. Any number of other features could be added to the mix to showcase more, like a stealth element could be added to the FPS section, or even some form of racing at the beginning where you scout ahead before the siege, a patrol spots you, you chase them down in your vehicle to stop them, which could even lead to a branching event system where if you aren't able to catch him in time, the siege is more difficult.

I think really my main point is that there is a wealth of possibilities going off of the present idea. :P
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 03 Oct 2013, 19:51

Yes guys these are great ideas :)

From my own experience it's generally easier to focus on a single path to ensure that these ideas are being communicated correctly, with as much polish as the engine and team can provide. With such a wealth of ideas sometimes its better to make new projects from the other ideas and increase the range of games.

As an artist it can be so easy to explode with creativity that you want to see everything happen at once lol :lol: but in reality this is where projects can fail as there are too many threads to maintain. The most impactive games/demos are generally a simple premise and mechanics that evolve with the game to keep the player engrossed and wanting to see a little more.

Our previous idea was one of over enthusiasm, a creative burst fired by Cheeses idea, but in this explosion we can find some really solid game ideas + mechanics so I invite you to explode lol

My personal view would be to settle with a good solid idea, without over complicating it and complete a small game. Then if this works out move onto the next game idea. Another point is to not stretch too far from the current technology, try to work as closely with in the current features as possible.

While developing Skyline we want to add many many cool features but we have to focus on what is really needed now at this time, which is to make a game engine, so we focus on that task and what the task requires of us. It takes a lot of discipline ;)

KISS - "Keep it Simple Stupid" is our mantra not an insult lol :P, this way you can generally always achieve your goals, well this has been true for my career path.
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby SolarPortal » 03 Oct 2013, 19:54

As creative artists ourselves, we have had many heated arguments over feature ideas and games/ demos we wish to make, but it always come down to the fact of what is required, what is possible within the timeframes and things that are already being produced on the side.

We are only human afterall lol :D
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Re: Идеи Проекта - Мозговой Штурм

Postby ant0N » 04 Oct 2013, 05:05

I think that the first project should be very simple. We are able to make a fun shooter, like Serious sam. :D

I think that such a game can be done faster than over enthusiasm. :lol:
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 05 Oct 2013, 19:30

To help narrow the ideas down we could look more at the art style and environments.

Style: We prefer sci fi and fantasy or a combination of the two.
Environments: Lost temple ruins such as the mayan pyramids but in an alien world.

what are your ideas? ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby sfarza » 06 Oct 2013, 10:58

ant0N wrote:I think that the first project should be very simple. We are able to make a fun shooter, like Serious sam. :D

I think that such a game can be done faster than over enthusiasm. :lol:

simpler game is quite what i was thinking, most FPS games are the bf3/4-ish like (except with such good looking gfx). i find them absolutely boring and loose my fun after 30 min play time. Anyone played W:ET or ET:QW? I would like to know if you guys would accept doing a team-based objective orientated multiplayer FPS game, where the player could customize his character with clothing, armor and etc, in a way like arma 3 does it. But remaining a complete computer game with keyboard and mouse controls.
sfarza
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 06 Oct 2013, 13:58

making a fun game is what we need, like anton said with serious sam.

I started looking at some videos and came across a serious sam 3 level:

This incorporates multiple styles, from the fantasy creatures, to the modern eastern look and sci-fi technology located under the ruins.
It is something that would take skill and plenty of people to make, but also uses alot of mechanics we already have.

Using multiplayer in a game would be quite difficult as we have not yet created and finished this feature set.

Do we use a FP or TP, depending on the artist skills involved. FPS is already developed and easier to make animations for., whereas a complete body requires full animations, but his does open the doors to customizable clothing, armour.

As for team based, if we can nail the enemy AI, then we could think about this then.
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 06 Oct 2013, 20:25

We thought you may find this interesting:

Just food for thought. This is a test level developed in 1 week as we were preparing for the 0.6.8 release. It uses stock Skyline actions and purchased assets from dexsoft. ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ant0N » 07 Oct 2013, 04:31

excellent! Just need to add the enemies.. :D
Here a lot of free models. ;)
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 07 Oct 2013, 18:57

Looks like some cool models, we will have to be sure we get permission to used from the artist first ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby iamcheeseontoast » 08 Oct 2013, 01:04

Its not much of a community project if we don't actually make anything ourselves.
I have a ton of static objects, various weapons as well as vehicles etc etc. I'm sure the other 3d modellers will be similar as well.
iamcheeseontoast
Skyline Contributor
Skyline Contributor

Postby ant0N » 08 Oct 2013, 05:48

NightHawk, so there is a category of models - Unrestricted use
in most cases, you need only specify the author in the credits. :)

iamcheeseontoast, I agree with you, but you can hold these models reserve.. And you can change them. ;)
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby Talidan » 08 Oct 2013, 05:58

Free use models would be good as placeholders to get mechanics in place...

So, are we looking at mostly a sci-fi/fantasy with middle-eastern inspiration, or middle-eastern setting with sci-fi/fantasy elements? Or would that be too much like Serious Sam?

And I'm going to start trying to live mostly on these forums, so I'll be open to whatever participation at most times of the day and well into the night...once I get over this bug that has knocked me down pretty hard. :(
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 08 Oct 2013, 12:13

iamcheeseontoast has many cool models these combined with other sources would certainly give us enough for place holders until we can develop the final assets.

@Talidan: It will be good to have someone on the forums all of the time also hope you get well soon.

Our personal favourites for this project would be a:
Sci-Fi fantasy set in an alien world. Think more a blend of technology + nature + magic set in a world such as Felucia from star wars mixed with Avatars Pandora. Also the strong use of color rather than a de-saturated scene.
Example
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Felucia?file=Nicillin_farmers.png

http://avatarblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6b2c140970c0133eee4c1f8970b-800wi

We don't like modern military shooters but would enjoy a fun fast paced FPS for now. Add in a simple questing and scavenging system and these can be already done with Skylines current feature set.

The following games can then use more advanced game mechanics once we have a team working together and we have proved we can complete a game between us.

It would be good for now if the artists could put together a contact sheet of all model they would like to make available so we can see what we have before looking elsewhere ;)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Talidan » 08 Oct 2013, 21:56

Man, I wish I was more artsy. I have my girlfriend's (well, "ours" as we share everything) Cintiq 22HD at my disposal, yet I do not have the proper hands to use it.
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby StarFire » 08 Oct 2013, 22:20

Cintiq 22HD - sweet we would love to have one of these :)
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby ant0N » 09 Oct 2013, 03:15

NightHawk, I also don't like shooters, I do also like the mysterious and unexplored worlds. But this is our first game, we should start simple. And the second project will be "Sci-Fi fantasy set in an alien world" ;)
ant0N
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby Skyknight » 09 Oct 2013, 15:40

I think we should do our own props and objects, besides making an exploring game with some fantasy and sci-fi elements can be done in the first game, everything comes down to gameplay and cinematics.
Skyknight
Skyline Novice

Postby SolarPortal » 09 Oct 2013, 22:05

i agree that the game play/mechanics should be a big focus of any game, its something big games have lost and just make more interactive movies lol.
But games like mass effect work great :lol:
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby Talidan » 10 Oct 2013, 00:12

There's no reason we wouldn't be able to do a shooter set in a somewhat explorable sci-fi/fantasy world. Take a look at Half-Life, how it was able to reward exploration despite its closed-corridor, linear levels. The gameplay mechanics were relatively basic, but it excelled at how well it utilized them, and the way to tell the story (and build your understanding of the world) is something to be inspired by. Then you reach the alien dimension, Xen, and even with simple graphics, by todays standards, it still manages to feel, well, alien and almost fantastical.

It's difficult to name something today that does the same thing so well, except for maybe the Source engine mod, Black Mesa that does it all over again with the modern engine. I can't wait for the Black Mesa team to release the second part with Xen...
Talidan
Skyline Apprentice

Postby Ryzon » 10 Oct 2013, 02:51

I been wanting to get a project going that uses elements from both Digimon/Pokemon and some RPG. Like I want the art styles but also want the RPG functionality. Something that the fans can recognize and draw interest in from both franchises but be make in a unique way to be made my own.

Below is a picture of a custom made model for such a project. His name is Cloud!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ryzon
Skyline Padawan

Postby j-cooke » 10 Oct 2013, 08:05

Maybe a fairly simple game like Sir, you are being hunted.Games with alot of characters and props will obviously take more time.
j-cooke
Skyline Novice

Next

Return to Community Game