For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

mass set same model type settings.

mass set same model type settings.

Postby lordalmighty1 » 09 May 2015, 10:10

ok so, I have been making a map and all the models was set up and working right, but after saving and loading it up this morning a portion of the trees was not rejecting alpha anymore. is it possible to have a button added that sets the same setting on 1 tree to effect all trees with same issue/setting?

would be helpful, or can it be done already?.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Skill: Great creative
Skill: Level Designer

Re: mass set same model type settings.

Postby SolarPortal » 09 May 2015, 13:33

is this a material error? that when editing the alpha is not coming back?

I will help the best i can to solve this with you :)
Skyline Game Engine - Lead Dev.
Please provide as much info as possible when asking for help.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

Twitter: @SolarPortal
Instagram: @SolarPortal
SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Programmer

Postby lordalmighty1 » 09 May 2015, 15:12

i had to reload the folder as a resource and then convert back the fbx to mesh/material. this caused all the tree's and bushes (100s) to lose the alpha rejection setting, now i have to change them back 1 at a time lol..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 09 May 2015, 15:27

Why did you have to reconvert from FBX?
Once the meshes are converted and at the right scale; this task no longer needs done.

Basic Workflow:
> Convert FBX to mesh.
> Edit Materials and save.
> Use meshes in scene.
> If needed, create a preset for reuse again.

i had to reload the folder as a resource

You can add/delete a folder from resources using the asset manager without reconverting everything again.

I am sorry, but i am a little confused as to what the problem is and why you need to reconvert all assets.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Specs: OS: Win 10 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 4770 3.4ghz x 4 core(8 threads), GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, Ram: 16gig DDR3, Windows on 250gb Samsung Evo 860

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 09 May 2015, 15:46

ok, the naming issue was causing issues. to fix the naming issue i deleted the old mesh/material, renamed the asset fbx to stop the naming issue from being an issue. now i tried to import the single asset to the resource then tried to convert the single asset to a mesh/material.. but it don't work!, so i had to reconvert the whole file for this 1 model. now all the alpha rejection settings on plants and trees is gone lol. what i need is a tool to set the reject alpha of same material used on other entities to all those entities using the same material please. maybe 300 or more times doing this 1 by 1 is gonna suck.. and tbh, waste a lot of time lol, as i cant bring myself to do it its gonna take soo long, and i want to do other things not get bogged down and disheartened by this problem that has for whatever reason chosen now to occure :(..
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 09 May 2015, 16:07

i understand more now and it seems to be the same problem Tattie is facing with duplicate resources, which is currently being fixed with a new workflow i am currently building.

I also understand that you have one more feature request:
> Batch convert of multiple materials to apply an alpha rejection material.

Problem faced: The problem with this is that the trunk materials will also end up with an alpha rejection as the parser would not know the difference between trunk or leaves material. Unless all the leaf materials have a specific word in them like leaf or leaves. if the trunk and leaves materials are like "mat 0" & "mat 1", then this will be hard to create a solution for.
It could be possible done by texture name, if the texture has the word leaf or leaves then we could make this happen.
Also could check for a 4th channel which is usually the alpha channel but some textures like .png don't expose this.

Q) How many materials per tree?
Q) What are the names of the materials on the trees?
Q) Is your model directory the same as Tatties?

Code: Select all
 > Tree Models (folder)
    > Tree 01 (subfolder)
       > tree.fbx
       > texture.png
    > Tree 02 (subfolder)
       > tree.fbx
       > texture.png
    > Tree 03 (subfolder)
       > tree.fbx
       > texture.png
    > Tree 04 (subfolder)
       > tree.fbx
       > texture.png

This is the current type of directory and files i am currently trying to make a solution for.

I know this is a pain atm, but i ask you to please bear with us while we try and sort a solution out.
My advice would be for now, if you get a tree working. Leave it be and change the next one. Saves you having to redo all of them. ;)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 09 May 2015, 16:21

When I start with some new assets, I will use a default scene for speed and one by one open each new asset to the scene. Adjust and tweak scale and material then save it as a preset. I will do this for all assets in the pack so that they all match in brightness and IBL . Once I have all the assets prepared then I will move on to use them in my main scene, this way I save myself the pain of finding out any material problems once I start getting creative. ;)
By using this method I can quickly get scene ideas up and running with very little arghh factor lol :lol:
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 09 May 2015, 16:41

2 mats per tree, a tree and a leaf/leaves mat
tree for 1, leaf for the other (names)
i have no idea how tattie sorts his models lol, probably more neat and organised than me lol..

@ starfire, this is a silly problem that occurred and probably only because im a noob lol, however it didn't show its face until after i placed many assets in the scene and only because of another issue with the engine also it didn't show up until after saving turning off skyline and leaving it till the next day, i doubt very much if it been seen to happen often, and once sp has his fix out for the other issue i doubt it will be a problem at all, its just sods law it happens to me!!! lol.. what your saying makes sense but it still would be a problem, due mainly because i didn't know the other issues WAS happening till late after starting production and i wouldn't of noticed either way about the other problem. as it was just replacing 1 boat i already had with a new boat i had never seen b4, i would have just thought oh, now i have 2 of those like i did in the 1st place lol. but thanks for the tip :)

i think the engine still needs away to mass change settings of models by type though somehow, for speed if you like change a texture on 1 it should be able to save to all the same meshes.
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby SolarPortal » 09 May 2015, 16:50

i think the engine still needs away to mass change settings of models by type though somehow, for speed if you like change a texture on 1 it should be able to save to all the same meshes.

if you are using the same mesh and change the material on one and the rest don't update. You can RMB+reload entity or click the reload entity on the main toolbar. This will then update all meshes of the same to match :)

SolarPortal
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby StarFire » 09 May 2015, 18:37

Yeah I think a lot of the issues you have had will be resolved with SPs new fix, fingers crossed lol :D

We are planning to add param changes to the new multi select system, this will let you change values on any entity and have it do the same on all others that are selected.

Heres a couple of extra tips for you, they may not relate to the problem but you will find them handy.:

Q - I just edited my mesh why won't the rest of these in my scene change?
This can be done as SP mentioned by reloading that entities mesh.

Q - I have just changed my material, why dont the others on the same mesh in my scene change.
If the similar materials don't update click the material editors refresh button.

StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Postby lordalmighty1 » 10 May 2015, 00:27

ok the 2nd screenshot worked for me, only i tried but had to set it to 1 of each type of plant/tree used then save and shutdown skyline then restart skyline and load to see the effect acoss all veg. wasn't happening in editor without a shutdown and load up. not sure that's how its ment to be or not though?. but thanks saved me hours of work there lol :)
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Postby StarFire » 10 May 2015, 15:08

Happy that it has saved you some time and pain :D
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder