For any feature requests to either the Skyline Engine or the websites and forums please leave your suggestion here.

Shadows

Shadows

Postby TattieBoJangle » 07 Aug 2015, 00:11

In a future update can we have a setting where users can decide on what shadows to have, I feel the shadows in many way let the engine down they are great when you look down but when looking forward its just bad. So what I am wondering is if there is a way to have the shadows the way they look when looking down that would be great.

Case: CM Storm Trooper CPU: I7 5930k X99 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics: Asus GTX 1080 Motherboard: Rampage Extreme V x99 Ram: RipJaws DDR4 3000mhz Storage: x2 SSD Crucial 500GB + x5 2TB Hdd PSU: Evga 1500w OS: Windows 10
TattieBoJangle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist
Skill: Level Designer
Skill: Great creative

Re: Shadows

Postby lordalmighty1 » 07 Aug 2015, 00:27

I have to agree the video shows the shadows up and lets the overall engine down alittle, which I do hope improves at some point in a future update. ive noticed if the fps player goes into a shadow zone the shadows look strange on the arms of the player/gun also, like grainy speckles sort of thing.

obviously I have no clue to deving an engine but a quick google found me this, might be of some help perhaps I honestly don't know lol.. but if it does then :)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... rer-sample
lordalmighty1
Skyline Moderator
Skyline Moderator

Re: Shadows

Postby StarFire » 07 Aug 2015, 14:07

Yeah the shadows are a bit of an issue. Its one of those jobs that will require some time to rewrite the shadow camera system to incorporate the CSM system for directional lights and a standard focused for other light types. The focus camera does work sort of ok with non directional but it does need some problems fixed which are due to ogre!

The big reason we have left the shadow development is that there are far more important features that require attention, but once we can get Skyline stable on win10 we will schedule in the shadow system overhaul as it will coincide with the terrain shader rewrite as the CSM system uses more texture units than simple shadows thus the terrain would lose a texture layer, not the case if it is done in conjunction with the terrain shader upgrade.

For now to get better shadows you can sacrifice distance by turning down the lights shadow distance setting to 10 or 20. We do this with grabs to make them look better. ;)
Dream the Journey, Live the Experience!
StarFire
Skyline Founder
Skyline Founder

Skill: Programmer
Skill: 3D Modeller
Skill: 2D Artist

Return to Feature Requests